Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
NO, you just set a too-easy target. Set a new one !

I have. It's sub 20. Never thought I would revisit that time but the NSC runners have provided the competition to get me in shape for giving it a go. A 2.5% increase is all I need.....
..........and a gale blowing up the hill.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The wind around Hove Park didn't help much this morning but I still SMASHED sub-22. Yep, 21.59 😂

More interval training required, but I'm only three seconds of my year's best time.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The wind around Hove Park didn't help much this morning but I still SMASHED sub-22. Yep, 21.59 ��

More interval training required, but I'm only three seconds of my year's best time.

Good running. I sat back a bit today but ready for Tuesday's intervals. The wind was a hindrance.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The wind around Hove Park didn't help much this morning but I still SMASHED sub-22. Yep, 21.59 [emoji23]

Good stuff. I did just over 10 minute miles on my run on the Downs this morning. Far less stressful !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Early start this morning as off to Brighton Festival later. Prepared by going to St Anne's Well festival yesterday followed by a BBQ. Basically I beer and burger loaded rather than carbs.

Ran a 55.43 10k which was only 30 seconds off my BM10k time. Pretty confident of getting down around 50 in Worthing with race conditions and preparation that doesn't purely involve real ale and sausages. If I get near that given I've been running 6 months I may be unbearably smug.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
In two minds to run today or Monday as I can feel some discomfort in my groin. Part of me wants to get out as the weather is good and just do 4/5 miles but today is the first time I've not felt it walking so don't want to make things worse.

Does anyone have an experiences of groin strains and what can be done to treat, avoid and strengthen?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
In two minds to run today or Monday as I can feel some discomfort in my groin. Part of me wants to get out as the weather is good and just do 4/5 miles but today is the first time I've not felt it walking so don't want to make things worse.

Does anyone have an experiences of groin strains and what can be done to treat, avoid and strengthen?

Enjoyed not having to chase your shadow yesterday as I now have enough in me for a good run this morning. Bad luck on the strain. Heat is good at this stage. A hot bath perhaps. Preceded by extremely gentle NO PAIN stretching. If you do run be prepared to stop at any sign of strain and then maybe it's time for the Sports Injury Clinic? My man doesn't like going up there though.

Good luck.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've decided this running thing is all psychological. I felt tired and jaded this morning so decided that the only goal was to complete my planned 10 miles - time was irrelevant.

I've noticed I always feel weary just after the half way mark of any distance I run. It must be a mental thing.

So, on my 10km PB earlier this week I just forced myself to maintain my pace from around 3.5 miles. I did the same today at 6 miles. The net result was I sliced 4m30s off my 10m PB coming in at 1:28:50 - the first time I've been under 9min miles for this distance.

This week I feel as though I might be making the transition from "fat bloke just trying to put one foot in front of the other" to "crap runner"!

Edit: I'm feeling slightly annoyed now. I had another three miles in me today and could have gone well inside 2 hours for the half-marathon. I've only run that distance twice and my PB is 2:06:06 currently. A missed opportunity.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Running Lindfield cross country 10k tomorrow so was going to take it easy today, however it was such a beautiful morning and feeling good so did way more than I planned!

Distance 11.3 miles
Pace 10:17/mi
Elevation 799ft
Calories 916
Elapsed Time 1:56:22

This time round I am determined to keep the running going and maintain a level of fitness. I could still do with losing another 2 stone and then when I next do a marathon the training won't be soooooo bad and then I can beat the blasted 5 hour barrier! I have finally dropped under the 90kg mark, 89.6kg yesterday so heading in the right direction. According to the charts I am finally just over weight and no longer obese! As Bozza said a lot is in the mind when out running, I find it easy to switch off running, part of the reason I love it so much at the moment.. Also having a group of mates now running also keeps me motivated.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Running Lindfield cross country 10k tomorrow so was going to take it easy today, however it was such a beautiful morning and feeling good so did way more than I planned!

Distance 11.3 miles
Pace 10:17/mi
Elevation 799ft
Calories 916
Elapsed Time 1:56:22

This time round I am determined to keep the running going and maintain a level of fitness. I could still do with losing another 2 stone and then when I next do a marathon the training won't be soooooo bad and then I can beat the blasted 5 hour barrier! I have finally dropped under the 90kg mark, 89.6kg yesterday so heading in the right direction. According to the charts I am finally just over weight and no longer obese! As Bozza said a lot is in the mind when out running, I find it easy to switch off running, part of the reason I love it so much at the moment.. Also having a group of mates now running also keeps me motivated.

Good stuff mate, I'll keep going with you!

Those calorie stats worry me though. Does anyone know how different apps measure what you've burned. Runkeeper and Garmin never agree. However. my Garmin told me that when I ran my first ten miler, in 1 hr 40, I'd burned 1200 calories. Similar sort of pace, less overall distance and elevation and yet your app says you've burned under 1000.

Anyone know how this works or which is accurate (if either)?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Those calorie stats worry me though. Does anyone know how different apps measure what you've burned. Runkeeper and Garmin never agree. However. my Garmin told me that when I ran my first ten miler, in 1 hr 40, I'd burned 1200 calories. Similar sort of pace, less overall distance and elevation and yet your app says you've burned under 1000.

I think it's based on your weight I tend to burn 100 calories per kilometre according to Garmin but my watch still thinks I'm 10 pounds heavier then my current weight.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Those calories must be wrong Mark. You've seen on Strava how far I ran (less than you) and the terrain (less hilly than you) yet Strava said I burned about 1800 cals.

I don't care what Strava says - it's only going to be a very coarse estimate after all - but the disparity between your numbers and mine can't be right.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ran a 55.43 10k which was only 30 seconds off my BM10k time. Pretty confident of getting down around 50 in Worthing with race conditions and preparation that doesn't purely involve real ale and sausages. If I get near that given I've been running 6 months I may be unbearably smug.

Do you really think you could pick up 5-6 minutes in two weeks? I didn't believe I had anything like a 51:50 in me until that's what I did earlier this week, but the first thought I had was those extra two minutes will be very hard work to find. All credit to you if you can though - it would be very impressive and all smugness would be well-earned!

Basically I beer and burger loaded rather than carbs.

This has caught my interest because I never carb-load, even ahead of my longer 10 or 13 mile Sunday runs. Last night, for example, I just picked at a few bits and had just a small banana before I went out this morning. I really didn't think any particular fuelling would be needed for something as short as a 10km run but I might pay more attention to this if it's recommended for better performance.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I have just checked my profile and had entered weight as 89lbs rather than kg, so have amended it today to 196lbs. Will see what it records tomorrow on the calorie count!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have just checked my profile and had entered weight as 89lbs rather than kg, so have amended it today to 196lbs. Will see what it records tomorrow on the calorie count!

Sod tomorrow - you're due four extra pints tonight from today's run first!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

Not sure if they're accurate, Mr GB. I've tended to run a gentle 10k during the past few sessions, in about 55 minutes, because I've been waffling on with my running partners. The app says I've burned something like 1,100 calories each time, which just makes me feel like eating ten packets of crisps afterwards. I'd be very surprised if I'd exerted myself that much. Maybe checking your body fat percentage regularly would be a better guide? There's a machine in Boots that does it for 70p, if you don't mind feeling like a bit of a numpty along the way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here