Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Anybody out there run the Steyning Stinger today? I was one of the photography team. You might have seen me shivering just after Chanctonbury Ring or just before the turn for home at 24 miles. I was wearing my BHAFC beanie and definitely saw some Seagull related attire go by.

In any event: props to you all if you did 26 miles in that this morning. I'll be joining you all six weeks from today for the Marathon and this time I'll have trainers on and be joining in.

Do you work with Ant ?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Cool. Got dozens of pics of me looking shit that he and his team have taken [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

There must be one or two of you with full on running mojo?

The SSP team are lovely. They took me under their wing early last year and have been so good with tutoring and feedback. There's a completely different photographic skills set to mass participation events and they care enough to spend time trying to pass it all on. I'm very lucky to work with them and it beats the hell out of my day job.

Be seeing you out there sometime.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There must be one or two of you with full on running mojo?

The SSP team are lovely. They took me under their wing early last year and have been so good with tutoring and feedback. There's a completely different photographic skills set to mass participation events and they care enough to spend time trying to pass it all on. I'm very lucky to work with them and it beats the hell out of my day job.

Be seeing you out there sometime.

Yeah great bunch.....always say hello on the way round [emoji106]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The SSP gang are great. As Dazzer says, I to have an 'interesting' collection of pics from them from various races and events!

There probably would have been some contenders this morning as I struggled through five miles. I thought I would inject a bit of pace, but failed miserably :lol: Better than nothing, I suppose. Now away until Thursday with no chance of running – just lots of walking around exhibition halls...

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Train to Angmerring and 17.6 miles back to Hove in 2:41. Even paced but sub4 looking a challenge.
Needed a good stretch at half time and no running for the train after the match!

Only two more long runs to go!!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Train to Angmerring and 17.6 miles back to Hove in 2:41. Even paced but sub4 looking a challenge.
Needed a good stretch at half time and no running for the train after the match!

Only two more long runs to go!!

You got the wrong train! I went for a recovery 4 mile jog yesterday and the slight wind made eastbound 15 seconds slower than Westbound. Looks to me that you're on target and should have gone to Seaford.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Great to see some serious miles being put in by so many this weekend! I ran the Big Half in London yesterday and came home with a new HM PB of 1:23:36 (22 minutes behind Mo....). Really pleased with a sub-84 time considering I found it tough going from the outset and never really felt comfortable for some reason. I guess you can't feel amazing at every race. It was a fantastic event around the streets of London. Highly recommended if it returns next year.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Entered the Worthing 10K today and will be entering the Phoenix at some point. Also considering Bright10 as it's before half term for a change, though I might wait to see what division we're in next season and what fixture we have that weekend.

Assuming I enter it that will give me the same sequence of preparation races (BM10K, Worthing, Phoenix, Bright10) as when I was last fit enough to have a crack at a marathon so I *might* consider that sub-4 attempt in 2019. Might. Possibly.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Entered the Worthing 10K today and will be entering the Phoenix at some point. Also considering Bright10 as it's before half term for a change, though I might wait to see what division we're in next season and what fixture we have that weekend.

Assuming I enter it that will give me the same sequence of preparation races (BM10K, Worthing, Phoenix, Bright10) as when I was last fit enough to have a crack at a marathon so I *might* consider that sub-4 attempt in 2019. Might. Possibly.

Good news.Can't beat winter marathon training for forcing me out in the winter.

I've just entered a prolonged period of maranoia. Never realised entering 2 marathons 4 weeks apart would be a training nightmare no time for final training long runs for the second whilst tapering for the first. On top of that overtrained last week and have a bug giving a splitting headache this week. Decided to follow my own advice and sit on my arse and eat until I feel up for gentle running with 10 days to go.

Still on for 4:40-4:40 next week and a gentle sub 4 at Brighton. Very happy with current form and raring to start building up speed after BM.

I've entered Worthing 10K and Phoenix.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Am I right in thinking that we have lower than usual number of sidelined runners on the thread at the moment? There's been times over the last couple of years when the thread has been more like an episode of Casualty but now everyone who posts seems to be signing up for every event on the running calendar. Long may it last.

I'm just getting over 2 weeks of inactivity following man flu. The start of 2018 has not been great for me running-wise, but hope to get back to some sort of form as the sun gets stronger and the evenings draw out.

Wishing all crocked runners a speedy recovery - if there are any!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good news.Can't beat winter marathon training for forcing me out in the winter.

I've just entered a prolonged period of maranoia. Never realised entering 2 marathons 4 weeks apart would be a training nightmare no time for final training long runs for the second whilst tapering for the first. On top of that overtrained last week and have a bug giving a splitting headache this week. Decided to follow my own advice and sit on my arse and eat until I feel up for gentle running with 10 days to go.

Still on for 4:40-4:40 next week and a gentle sub 4 at Brighton. Very happy with current form and raring to start building up speed after BM.

I've entered Worthing 10K and Phoenix.
A 'gentle' sub-4? [emoji848]

I've not done much - lazy, too much work, been away. Meh - it'll be fine...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Am I right in thinking that we have lower than usual number of sidelined runners on the thread at the moment? There's been times over the last couple of years when the thread has been more like an episode of Casualty but now everyone who posts seems to be signing up for every event on the running calendar. Long may it last.

I'm just getting over 2 weeks of inactivity following man flu. The start of 2018 has not been great for me running-wise, but hope to get back to some sort of form as the sun gets stronger and the evenings draw out.

Me. FFS. Minor flare up up of posterior tibial tendinitis.......was more or less ok at the weekend but really blew up on Monday after a short lunchtime plod, possibly made worse by old shoes and no orthotics. So effing annoying as supposed to be doing first race of the year this Sunday. Have not run since Monday, had an agonising sports massage Tuesday which found my calf in a bit of a mess and since then it’s eased a lot. Couple of days of elliptical trainer, lots of ice........might gamble if I can get through a 30 min plod on Saturday as the race is very easy to drop out of if it flares up again (11 times out and back on Southend Pier for the full 26.2 miles, another beer-fuelled ‘idea’ from the loons as Sussex Trail Events)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just ran 18 miles in 3:01. Longest I’ve run in ages. Very tough; I need to up my game somewhat.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Be good to have you running fit again. I still have us pencilled in for an old git weakest link relay team.
I'm afraid that I have been knocking down our runners like ninepins. Last 3 comments I have put on NSC Strava has been followed by replies detailing injuries, Dazzer666 being one. Sorry guys, good luck with a speedy recovery and for the rest of you I'll stop all Strava comments for a while.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

You've jinxed me. My achilles went whilst playing football tonight. Never done anything like this before so I'll be looking up treatments on the net, but of course would welcome advice from the NSC running community too.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You've jinxed me. My achilles went whilst playing football tonight. Never done anything like this before so I'll be looking up treatments on the net, but of course would welcome advice from the NSC running community too.

RICE now. Rest, Ice, Compression (maybe not at this stage), Elevation. Ibuprofen. Hopefully restored by the morning.
Could be a number of reasons. Calf muscles are easiest to sort out, even the hard to reach soleus. Good luck.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

If it’s your Achilles’ tendon you should be very careful. I doubt it has snapped because you would know it and wouldn’t be on NSC (!), however it could be a warning. Follow knockys advice and don’t try any stretching of the calf or Achilles until the problem is properly diagnosed. Hopefully just a slight strain

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here