Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Nice running. What distance will you get up to? I'm not sure what to do with regards to distances in these last few weeks. I have the Loughborugh 1/2 two weeks tomorrow and I'd like to do a 20 miler but not sure what to do in the weekends inbetween.

Last year I completed x2 20 miles & x2 18 miles which I thought would stand me in good stead, however I felt shockingly bad at 18 miles and the last 80 minutes of last years marathon was hellish.

I probably only have 3 or 4 long runs left so realistically I could push to x2 20 and 1 18 mile run which will be enough. My appetite for running past two hours this year has diminished and I'm really struggling with motivation this year for my longer runs, hopefully this will return shortly and I can kick on as I'm aiming for 3:30 this year.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Last year I completed x2 20 miles & x2 18 miles which I thought would stand me in good stead, however I felt shockingly bad at 18 miles and the last 80 minutes of last years marathon was hellish.

I probably only have 3 or 4 long runs left so realistically I could push to x2 20 and 1 18 mile run which will be enough. My appetite for running past two hours this year has diminished and I'm really struggling with motivation this year for my longer runs, hopefully this will return shortly and I can kick on as I'm aiming for 3:30 this year.

Crikey that's impressive, I was only hoping I'd need to do two more 2 hour plus runs. Like you I just struggle to find the appetite to do them. There's so much information out there and different plans etc it's hard to know what I need to do!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Eastbourne half this morning finished in 1:45:27. Tough hill about 3 miles in and strong winds especially last 2-3 miles made it difficult, but very pleased with that time and also legs felt good at the end. Great support from crowds and sunny weather made it feel pretty warm in the sheltered spots - had nearly forgotten what it felt like to be warm running!!
Six weeks to go until the marathon, time to step up the distances, will aim for 16 miles next weekend.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Eastbourne half this morning finished in 1:45:27.
Six weeks to go until the marathon, time to step up the distances, will aim for 16 miles next weekend.

Good run. I spent the day moping with man flu. Six weeks to go. That's three weeks to the taper then. I reckon we will both finish within 5 minutes of 3:45 if training goes without a hitch. It would certainly help me in the last 5 miles, if you were running fast just in front of me! No chance of seeing Bignuts just in front.....

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Good run. I spent the day moping with man flu. Six weeks to go. That's three weeks to the taper then. I reckon we will both finish within 5 minutes of 3:45 if training goes without a hitch. It would certainly help me in the last 5 miles, if you were running fast just in front of me! No chance of seeing Bignuts just in front.....

3:45 would be a ten minute pb so never say never. I'm aiming for 3:30 but let's see how the next 3 weeks go stepping it up to 18 and 20 miles.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Eastbourne half this morning finished in 1:45:27. Tough hill about 3 miles in and strong winds especially last 2-3 miles made it difficult, but very pleased with that time and also legs felt good at the end. Great support from crowds and sunny weather made it feel pretty warm in the sheltered spots - had nearly forgotten what it felt like to be warm running!!

I too ran Ebo today - thoroughly enjoyed it apart from that BITCH of a hill. First time in all my running I've had to walk! Clocked around 2-20 which I'm very pleased with for a plodder doing their 2nd ever half...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Dun't sound like plodding, Sheebs. Well played.

Well I'm not quick but tbf mate, I tend to run to complete. The buzz of 1/2 marathons is amazing - I really enjoy them. Hastings in 3 weeks now :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well I'm not quick but tbf mate, I tend to run to complete. The buzz of 1/2 marathons is amazing - I really enjoy them. Hastings in 3 weeks now :)

You've sold it. Every year I think of doing it and never do. This year it can be part of the last long run before Brighton Marathon.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Steyning Stinger marathon yesterday. Worst underfoot conditions I have ever seen in a race......difficult to stay upright at times, let alone run. Great event though, and a hot full English at the end. Pretty happy with 4.49 given the conditions (pics nicked from someone else)
335423448eb2c75caa483a5d3e273628.jpg
9e62fcb84017ef341dcf867b22919a35.jpg

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You've sold it. Every year I think of doing it and never do. This year it can be part of the last long run before Brighton Marathon.
Just signed up for Hastings. I absolutely love that race - which probably means I'll have a shocker.

Three weeks to shift some timber, and get running up more hills!

Can't wait.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Hi all,

Stepped up to the big 20 run yesterday. Managed it in 2:53 (8:40 miles exactly) but what concerns me is that I feel like I literally had nothing left in the last couple of miles, was completely running on empty. I'm loosely following the 3:45 plan which is 8:35 min/miles mainly because I'm desperate to beat 4 hours and that gives me some leeway.

RW plan has a 21 miler next week followed by another 20 week after then 18. It does say to run slow (3:10 was recommended for yesterdays 20) so that could explain why I was feeling so dead at the end, but is going for 8:35 miles going to be realistic come race day?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hi all,

Stepped up to the big 20 run yesterday. Managed it in 2:53 (8:40 miles exactly) but what concerns me is that I feel like I literally had nothing left in the last couple of miles, was completely running on empty. I'm loosely following the 3:45 plan which is 8:35 min/miles mainly because I'm desperate to beat 4 hours and that gives me some leeway.

RW plan has a 21 miler next week followed by another 20 week after then 18. It does say to run slow (3:10 was recommended for yesterdays 20) so that could explain why I was feeling so dead at the end, but is going for 8:35 miles going to be realistic come race day?

Yes. Very realistic.
At the moment you should be feeling the accumulative weekly mileage during the long run. I reckon I would feel knackered running 20 miles at any pace between 8:30 to 10:15. It's a long way! The taper and the buzz of the day will see you crack 3:45 weather and health permitting.
I am aiming for sub 3:45 (5 mins off last year) and run the long runs 15m+ at 9" pace as it is not time to push the body to the limit till the Big Day. Up to 18 miles this Sunday, then 12 miles Sunday week, third Sunday 20 miles incorporating Hastings half and then the taper.
Worse thing for me has been 10 days of chesty, coldly congestion.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Back in the world of Ex Fat Blokes I ran my first sub 29 min 5k at lunchtime and have a 60 min run planned for Sunday which will be my longest timed run without a break or walking, assuming I make it. Two nights on the beer in the last 16 days (Leeds at home and Derby at home, couldn't resist the Harveys and was with some old mates and my bro anyway). 6 kilos lost since mid Jan. And I'm really (surprisingly) enjoying it, so thanks to everyone who's given me good advice thus far.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Yes. Very realistic.
At the moment you should be feeling the accumulative weekly mileage during the long run. I reckon I would feel knackered running 20 miles at any pace between 8:30 to 10:15. It's a long way! The taper and the buzz of the day will see you crack 3:45 weather and health permitting.
I am aiming for sub 3:45 (5 mins off last year) and run the long runs 15m+ at 9" pace as it is not time to push the body to the limit till the Big Day. Up to 18 miles this Sunday, then 12 miles Sunday week, third Sunday 20 miles incorporating Hastings half and then the taper.
Worse thing for me has been 10 days of chesty, coldly congestion.

Sounds like a good plan. I've enterred the Hastings Half, which i'll use as part of back to back long runs that weekend. Don't really know much about the course? Do you know if its flat or undulating? quite looking forward to it, kids are looking forward on going up and down the funicalr railway/lift thing!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Back in the world of Ex Fat Blokes I ran my first sub 29 min 5k at lunchtime and have a 60 min run planned for Sunday which will be my longest timed run without a break or walking, assuming I make it. Two nights on the beer in the last 16 days (Leeds at home and Derby at home, couldn't resist the Harveys and was with some old mates and my bro anyway). 6 kilos lost since mid Jan. And I'm really (surprisingly) enjoying it, so thanks to everyone who's given me good advice thus far.

You could always combine the Beer and running;

http://www.beermile.com/faq.beer

3 laps, 4 cans..

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I think we're plodding roughly parallel routes...

Strava shows my best 5k as being 27:52, my longest run has been 8 miles (in 1:18) and I've lost 22b (c10kg I think) over the time since I started running again.

Like you I'm enjoying it - possibly too much, illustrated by going out with no aim and ending up doing 8 miles at about 10:30 on a Sunday night. I can get round what are, for me, long routes but I struggle for days afterwards. Going out in the following 2-3 days is very hard.

I'm off to New York later and I'm keen to get at least one Central Park run in whilst there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think we're plodding roughly parallel routes...

Strava shows my best 5k as being 27:52, my longest run has been 8 miles (in 1:18) and I've lost 22b (c10kg I think) over the time since I started running again.

Like you I'm enjoying it - possibly too much, illustrated by going out with no aim and ending up doing 8 miles at about 10:30 on a Sunday night. I can get round what are, for me, long routes but I struggle for days afterwards. Going out in the following 2-3 days is very hard.

I'm off to New York later and I'm keen to get at least one Central Park run in whilst there.

What do you struggle with? Aches and pains?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here