Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
What took you so long :jester:

Seriously - brilliant running. That is the type of run many of us can only dream of!

Me too it's only the last six months that I've been able to sustain 7 minute mile pace for anything above 5k. 12 months ago 8 minute mile pace was a struggle above 10k.

Speed work has been the key for me, get yourself out of your comfort zone and when you go back to longer runs a pace that seemed tough before, all of a sudden feels very comfortable.

5k's at park run highly recommended to those who haven't done it, they really push you to run hard and fast.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As many on here will know, I'm a big fan of hills - great training as well. Even if they are relatively short ones, a hill is still a hill. The flat gets a bit boring, so well done for mixing it up a bit. :thumbsup:

Cheers fella. That sort of run is going in to the routine at least once a fortnight. Fun, but challenging fun.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Me too it's only the last six months that I've been able to sustain 7 minute mile pace for anything above 5k. 12 months ago 8 minute mile pace was a struggle above 10k.

Speed work has been the key for me, get yourself out of your comfort zone and when you go back to longer runs a pace that seemed tough before, all of a sudden feels very comfortable.

5k's at park run highly recommended to those who haven't done it, they really push you to run hard and fast.

Hope you're still Parkrunning this Saturday. Haven't crossed running paths for a while. Will be happy to have a pacemaker and finish 2 mins behind in sub 21. My speed training for 13 June is working and knackering for the Saturday 5k runs.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Hope you're still Parkrunning this Saturday. Haven't crossed running paths for a while. Will be happy to have a pacemaker and finish 2 mins behind in sub 21. My speed training for 13 June is working and knackering for the Saturday 5k runs.

Yes I'll be there and I'm looking forward to it. It's been the best part of 3 months since my last visit. I am excited by the thought of the new Hove seafront run soon, completely flat surely pb heaven.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Great running everyone. Week so far and beyond

Sunday; Rest
Monday; 5k hove park recovery 23 mins ish
tuesday; x2 hill reps 5.8 miles 49:29.26 08:31mi
wednesday; 5k hove park recovery again 24min ish
thursday; lunch; 5k hove park 3.22 miles 22:41.50 07:02 mi. Evening x4 hill reps 7.77 miles 01:01:50 07:57mi tot ele 898 feet
Tomorrow; work and back 21miles 2hrs 40mins ish
Sat; kids swimming! Rest
Sun; recce worthing to Amberley.

Bosh

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It must be a good day for NSC runners. I just knocked 2m 44s off my 10km PB, clocking a 51m 50s. I wasn't even going to out either, and was waiting for a bottle of white to chill in the freezer. I didn't feel fresh at all but just seemed able to maintain a reasonably consistent effort throughout. Pleased with that.

Screen Shot 2015-05-21 at 21.53.16.png

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Inspiring stuff all round! Treadmill intervals for me today boring but managed to watch stokes destroying the kiwis!!

Had a bad ankle this week so been taking it a bit easy. Away in France for bank holiday so will be running in the woods of Fontainebleau instead of park run this Saturday - enjoy it everyone will check the results to see how you all get on.

The best thing about kms [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] is they just go quicker than miles, you always seem to have a time check coming up.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My training has got to pot after the BM10k, which I ran (against my better judgement) with a sore ankle, and despite the run going ok and getting a good-ish time (for me, anyway) of just over 48 minutes, I have suffered with the ankle ever since (nearly 6 weeks now). After any serious run, the ankle hurts a lot and I'm limping the next day. Did one parkrun a couple of weeks ago, and struggled to come in at around 24 min, and it then took me a day or two to be able to walk without a limp. Trail running seems to bother it less than running on concrete, so it's clearly something to do with impact that's causing or exacerbating the problem. The ankle's not swollen, and when I'm actually running it doesn't feel too bad -- it's just the after-effects. It's mega-frustrating as I was really beginning to reap the benefits of a good winter of regular running, and now I'm having to cut back drastically and fear losing all the progress I made. I've now taken a break and haven't run for just over a week, apart from some intense sessions on the gym cross-trainer (desperate attempt at least to maintain some aerobic fitness while I protect the ankle), and have signed up to see a sports physio, and am praying that he has some clever solutions which don't involve not running at all for months. It's really brought it home to me how much, just after a year into taking up running, I've become sort of addicted to it, as the idea of having to stop is really bothering me.

Sorry to hear, but hang in there. I missed almost all of last year due to osteitis but kept myself in reasonable shape using the elliptical trainer (replicating running sessions as best I could) and bike for endurance. Started running only in November last year and have done 6/7 marathons since then and 3 x 5k PBS. Key is to get a clear diagnosis - physio should be able to do that unless it's a stress fracture (in which case they'll send you for an MRI probably)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It must be a good day for NSC runners. I just knocked 2m 44s off my 10km PB, clocking a 51m 50s. I wasn't even going to out either, and was waiting for a bottle of white to chill in the freezer. I didn't feel fresh at all but just seemed able to maintain a reasonably consistent effort throughout. Pleased with that.

View attachment 65497

Bizarrely I had no thirst at all after thst run so, after a shower, I used the crisp, dry white wine as my post-run drink abd then went to bed.

It felt like a full-on hangover this morning.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Bizarrely I had no thirst at all after thst run so, after a shower, I used the crisp, dry white wine as my post-run drink abd then went to bed.

It felt like a full-on hangover this morning.

Easy mistake to make. You may only sweat a pint or so during the hour but all the muscle glycogen you replenish has to be stored with a lot of water so there is a delayed effect of the dehydration. Add booze to the mix and its a potential nightmare!!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Had another go at my new 8.5 mile run, which seems to me to be mostly up hill - shaved a minute off my time from last week which means I was averaging 7:30 minutes per mile. I'm not sure whether to be pleased with that or not, as that is somewhat slower than my pace for either 10k or half marathon...

I guess I'm just a bit unfocused at the minute.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Had another go at my new 8.5 mile run, which seems to me to be mostly up hill - shaved a minute off my time from last week which means I was averaging 7:30 minutes per mile. I'm not sure whether to be pleased with that or not, as that is somewhat slower than my pace for either 10k or half marathon...

I guess I'm just a bit unfocused at the minute.

Obviously not that unfocused - that's quick, and you're getting quicker on the same route........usually a good measure !

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Obviously not that unfocused - that's quick, and you're getting quicker on the same route........usually a good measure !

I think it is just that I'm trying to compare apples with pears to be honest - my last half marathon was on a flat course (Dorney Lake) and the last 10k course was not as hilly as this route, so I probably shouldn't expect a similar pace.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I am aiming to peak mid June as my 5k training plan knackers me too much to run a max effort Parkrun each Saturday.
However, with 4 weeks to go, I have already achieved my target time. Maybe there is something in the water or chilled, white wine?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I am aiming to peak mid June as my 5k training plan knackers me too much to run a max effort Parkrun each Saturday.
However, with 4 weeks to go, I have already achieved my target time. Maybe there is something in the water or chilled, white wine?

NO, you just set a too-easy target. Set a new one !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here