Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
What a perfect morning for running.

A hilly 22 miles done. Beachy Head - I'm ready for you! (well, I'm ready to run a bit, walk a bit and generally struggle round...)

Well done. A prom-flat 21 miles for me in 3:20. Was fading in last three miles and then the Worthing 10k guys came streaming past me and some sort of competitive embers were fanned; not that I could catch anyone at this stage and I ended up with a walk-run combo for the last couple of miles. Beachy Head is in 2 weeks, yes? Have you got target time?

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
Well done. A prom-flat 21 miles for me in 3:20. Was fading in last three miles and then the Worthing 10k guys came streaming past me and some sort of competitive embers were fanned; not that I could catch anyone at this stage and I ended up with a walk-run combo for the last couple of miles. Beachy Head is in 2 weeks, yes? Have you got target time?

Yep - 2 weeks. I'm trying not to see it as a competitive race, but would like to get round in less than 5 hours. Did Brighton in 4 hours last year so hoping this is possible.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Yep - 2 weeks. I'm trying not to see it as a competitive race, but would like to get round in less than 5 hours. Did Brighton in 4 hours last year so hoping this is possible.

That sounds highly respectable to me. One of my two previous marathons (Taunton) was hilly but

a) nowhere as near hilly as yours and
b) it was on roads

In those days there was a sweeper after 4 hours 30 minutes (harsh!) and I spent the last few miles running in fear of the stigma that would follow from being 'swept-up' (visualise a bunch of broom-wielding yokels and you get the picture). I managed 4.22 (almost last) and crossed the line in a right old state - but with pride intact.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

The thing I would say, having done the event twice, is that there are sections you can run, sections you can jog and then sections where you shouldn't even try. In the first half especially, there are SO many hills and climbs. There's one which goes on for over a mile, if you try and run up that you're going to be absolutely ruined the rest of the run. I really think you're better off power walking up the hideous hills and then giving it the beans on the straight or the slight uphills.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Get to checkpoint 3 ( I think) early for the sausage rolls.. I used to judge if your on track, time wise, by meeting the Bagpiper at various points and the amount of sausage rolls left! Have fun.

The legendary Sausage rolls are at Littlington at around 17 miles. Cup of tea as well, and sometimes a band. Easy to ‘waste’ 15 mins chatting there, because immediately after is straight up a steep hill.

Pete the Piper will be near the start (after the top of of the hill) and then after the steps as you approach Exceat (usually).

First 20 miles isn’t too bad to be honest. Biggest hill is from Alfriston to Bo Peep which is about 2 miles uphill (from mile 10 to 12). The last 6 miles is a proper bitch.

45 mins or so on top of your usual road time is about right for the 4 hour crew, but no-one cares too much about time on this one. Just enjoy the day. A swim, a shower and a hot meal at the finish if you want it.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
The thing I would say, having done the event twice, is that there are sections you can run, sections you can jog and then sections where you shouldn't even try. In the first half especially, there are SO many hills and climbs. There's one which goes on for over a mile, if you try and run up that you're going to be absolutely ruined the rest of the run. I really think you're better off power walking up the hideous hills and then giving it the beans on the straight or the slight uphills.

These are wise words... Wiser than my ..Just naively give it the beans from start to finish philosophy.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Paced 1:40 at the Great West Run today. Well-organised, very scenic, quite a few hills and, apart from the usual minor existential crisis about how empty my life has got to be voluntarily doing half-marathons all over the place, I think I enjoyed it. I wish it had ended at the football ground rather than the arena.

Congrats and hats off to everyone who ran this weekend

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Biggest struggle of the race is trying to scoff a sausage roll or two going up that hill.. Runners dilemma!

Only for you racers. The rest of us SAVOUR the meat-filled pastry delicacy, with a cup of warming, sweet tea before thinking about ambling up the hill.

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
Thanks for all the advice guys - looking forward to this even more now, although will be bitterly disappointed if all the sausage rolls have gone by the time I get there!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Just noticed the earlier than usual Bright 10 for next year Sunday 30th September which clashes with Barns Green.

A real shame as two very popular races and both will see a drop in numbers I’d imagine as a result.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well I had a whale of a time at Bright10. Started out with the 80 pacer but edged ahead and was surprised that by the turn after Dukes Mound that I was further ahead of him than I thought. Just carried on going from there –still holding a little something back just in case it all came crashing down – and crossed the line in 78.01. Great to be able to give so many shouts to running mates around the course and watch a little bit of the Ninja/Big Nuts 'battle' up ahead.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well I had a whale of a time at Bright10. Started out with the 80 pacer but edged ahead and was surprised that by the turn after Dukes Mound that I was further ahead of him than I thought. Just carried on going from there –still holding a little something back just in case it all came crashing down – and crossed the line in 78.01. Great to be able to give so many shouts to running mates around the course and watch a little bit of the Ninja/Big Nuts 'battle' up ahead.

Your demons have been defenestrated! Congrats.

That race between [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] and [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] sounds brilliant. 6:42 mile pace for 10 miles is phenomenal. I'm unlikely to but would be happy to edge that in a little 5k (20:49 time) next month.

Last edited:

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Enjoyed the Bright10 run on Sunday. Beautiful sunrise and that was about all we saw of the sun as the cloud drifted in for the race. Met up with a few mates pre race and one runs roughly the same speed as me so we set off between the 80 & 90 minute pacers as both aiming for around 85 mins. So many memories of the marathon come back as you head up to the Marina but its a nice surprise when you turn back early and head down to maderia drive. Mate and I kept overtaking each other so pushed the pace along and I finished with a new 10 mile PB of 83.34 . GSR for me next week so may try and stick with the 80 minute pacer.
sunrise.jpg

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
... you head up to the Marina but its a nice surprise when you turn back early and head down to maderia drive.

Amen to that. It was a beautiful thing. Wasn’t keen on the double-back on Madeira drive though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Your demons have been defenestrated! Congrats.

That race between [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] and [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] sounds brilliant. 6:42 mile pace for 10 miles is phenomenal. I'm unlikely to but would be happy to edge that in a little 5k (20:49 time) next month.

Yep, put right all the running wrongs from last year now, I think.

Under two weeks until Beachy – can't WAIT!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here