Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Doing Hastings Half on Sunday, so keeping an eye out for the weather.

Gave up going to Manchester for the race, to hope the weather behaves itself.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Doing Hastings Half on Sunday, so keeping an eye out for the weather.

Gave up going to Manchester for the race, to hope the weather behaves itself.

Perfect wind for Hasting's sheltered from it going up the hill, on your left bombing down the hill and strong push from behind for the last 2.5 miles along the prom.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Does anyone know how much snow we are supposed to be getting on the coast this weekend?

I am planning a HM today, parkrun slightly off the pace tomorrow and then 18 miles on Sunday to complete a big week. Just wondering if I need to bring the long run forward to today or if I should be okay on Sunday?

Maybe 5cm Sunday morning with drifting by strong Easterly. The -8C easterly wind chill at 30-40mph will be rather horrid, if The Moyleman is off I'll run 20 on Monday.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Okay thanks. Far from ideal. The problem with living in Shoreham is that most of the long distance routes involve going east/west rather than north/south so there won't be much I can do to avoid that wind. The snow doesn't sound too bad though, it presumably won't take too long for 5cm to disappear.

Whatever people are doing this weekend I think it's safe to say no PBs will be broken!

Downslink! You even get a bit of protection from the elements in places!

The weather in this country is crazy. I look out of the window now and the sun is shining and it's a still as anything. Then by Sunday, it'll be blowing a gale, snowing and freezing cold! Ah well, let's see what happens – 4:52 is the time to beat (for me, anyway)...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The snow doesn't sound too bad though, it presumably won't take too long for 5cm to disappear.

Whatever people are doing this weekend I think it's safe to say no PBs will be broken!

I have a 5:12 trail marathon pb that I aim to sneak under if the wind drops. Any snow will stay till Monday.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good luck to both of you. The idea of running a marathon on the Downs this weekend is absolutely revolting, so respect to you both for being stronger men than me.

I quite often run up to Bramber which is about 9km up the river from my house so I can do 18km there and back. But I still need to find another 12km or so on Sunday. Does the path go further than Bramber? I've never quite worked out where it goes next.

Cheers – it'll be interesting...

Yeah, it carries on past Bramber, if you cross the road and and pick up the path going in the same direction with the river next to you on your right.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good luck to both of you. The idea of running a marathon on the Downs this weekend is absolutely revolting, so respect to you both for being stronger men than me.

I quite often run up to Bramber which is about 9km up the river from my house so I can do 18km there and back. But I still need to find another 12km or so on Sunday. Does the path go further than Bramber? I've never quite worked out where it goes next.

Just run up the Downslink ? Pretty good underfoot all the way, no traffic........ https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/media/2203/downs_link_6_stage_route_2010.pdf

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Will you be sporting the tights now made famous by the Portslade fire? :lolol:

:lolol: Yep. They passed the test. The lycra running shorts from 2008 will be making a comeback too in an effort to lower wind resistance. Plus ski gloves, beanie, Marmot breathable 100% waterproof walking jacket and all topped off with a snood for the face with a small hole cut out for breathing.

The secret weapon is the Lidl Running Pack for 2018 at a bargain £6.99. https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=11368

293665_04.jpg

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Good luck everyone at the weekend events.

I’m pacing 23’ at Hove Prom tomorrow then another 20 miles on Sunday. A long one up the Adur sounds a good option (fnarp)

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I am hoping for a snow free run on Sunday. Did 21 miles last Sunday and was planning the same this week so that I can get used to 2 long runs in 7 days so as to match the Brighton and London marathons on the 15th and 22nd April.

I am doing a fun raising quiz at the Caxton in Brighton on Thursday 5th April - for the Martlets Hospice - could we get a running team in it????? It will be the final fund raiser before my 3 marathons in 6 weeks. Its £10 a player, teams of 4 people.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/mark-raven2

Cheers all x

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I am hoping for a snow free run on Sunday. Did 21 miles last Sunday and was planning the same this week so that I can get used to 2 long runs in 7 days so as to match the Brighton and London marathons on the 15th and 22nd April.

I am doing a fun raising quiz at the Caxton in Brighton on Thursday 5th April - for the Martlets Hospice - could we get a running team in it????? It will be the final fund raiser before my 3 marathons in 6 weeks. Its £10 a player, teams of 4 people.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/mark-raven2

Cheers all x

I will be there so long as the wife doesn't carry out her threat to book a last minute Easter holiday. Happy to join an NSC Runners team so long as it's understood she might pull me out so to speak.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Meanwhile I have reorganised my running plans according to work and the weather. Was going to be doing a short, quick run today, long run Sunday and then possibly having to wait a week until I could get out again. Have moved this to nothing today thanks to conference calls but managed to blag a wfh on Monday, so I will be running 12 or so miles tomorrow morning, refuelling with fermented carbs on Saturday night with the game, resting Sunday and doing a shortish recovery run on Monday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here