Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No running at all for me last week, my ankle still doesn't feel right and I don't want to rush myself back into action and cause longer lasting damage. I need to crack on soon though, I've got the Isle of Wight Half booked in for the 20th August! I piled into 200 miles worth of cycling last week and a standard 50 length swim, so I should be ok when I'm able to resume running but it's like losing a part of yourself.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Looks can be deceiving, Mr B – I still have Lunat-Tic legs and ideally wanted to be closer to 22 than the just under 23 that it turned out to be. I saw you too – were you pacing someone, as I expected you to be off like a rocket and much further up the field? Popped out for an easy five-miler yesterday and then did 30 mins of yoga which seemed to sort out the slightly dodgy knee that had been rearing its ugly head. One thing's for sure though, if I DO make it to the prom on the 12th, it probably I'm probably not going to be SB hunting!

Signed up for Brighton Half this morning –*early bird discount ends today, apparently...

It's quite a delicate issue - I much prefer the company of running with mates but I usually end up running a minute or two slower than usual when I do. Might have to do some secret runs.

Hope your recovery continues and you make the 12th :smile:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
No running at all for me last week, my ankle still doesn't feel right and I don't want to rush myself back into action and cause longer lasting damage. I need to crack on soon though, I've got the Isle of Wight Half booked in for the 20th August! I piled into 200 miles worth of cycling last week and a standard 50 length swim, so I should be ok when I'm able to resume running but it's like losing a part of yourself.

That's some very impressive swimming/cycling. The IOW is very hilly so maybe a few laps of Bevendean might be advised.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That's some very impressive swimming/cycling. The IOW is very hilly so maybe a few laps of Bevendean might be advised.

I've been doing a lot of rowing in the gym as well, so I feel like I've maintained condition of some kind! My Half Marathon record was set on the IOW in August 2015, I remember the course pretty well and I'm feeling generally pretty relaxed about it as a race. I don't think I'm going to be able to go into it planning to smash my record at all but it's a day out and also, not an early start. If only all races catered for the lazy and started at 11!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

If it covers the same ground as the full mara, it'll be great – it's a lovely course, although the marathon has a big feck off hill at 23ish miles, which buggered me a bit when I ran it in 2015.

One to look into, sounds like good fun.

I've provisionally agreed to sign up for this...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

If it covers the same ground as the full mara, it'll be great – it's a lovely course, although the marathon has a big feck off hill at 23ish miles, which buggered me a bit when I ran it in 2015.

I've provisionally agreed to sign up for this...

I think it probably does but I'm not sure, I've not done their full marathon. There are a few serious hills along the route, and some really unpleasant sections of running on an A road! But it's quite a nice one to run and there are plenty of ice creams available afterwards!

I'm happy to provisionally agree to that event as well - looks very different and a good challenge.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I made a gentle return to running on tuesday, with a short 3/4 mile untracked plod along the sea front. My ankle felt ok but I'm still feeling it but not as badly. I think it's healing, it's just taken quite a while. I hope to be back at a park run on saturday, despite Pride I'm assuming that Hove Park is unaffected and will be rammed!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I made a gentle return to running on tuesday, with a short 3/4 mile untracked plod along the sea front. My ankle felt ok but I'm still feeling it but not as badly. I think it's healing, it's just taken quite a while. I hope to be back at a park run on saturday, despite Pride I'm assuming that Hove Park is unaffected and will be rammed!

Yes it will be busy, I'm thinking of giving Park Run a miss this week as I have very little time to get back for my sons football.

Probably a gentle 5 miler Sat and a long run (10 miles+) Sunday.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If I wasn't so damned lazy, I'd consider making a debut at Worthing, or a follow up effort at Peacehaven. Maybe a debut at Bevendean is in order.

What are people planning? [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] swerve aside!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If I wasn't so damned lazy, I'd consider making a debut at Worthing, or a follow up effort at Peacehaven. Maybe a debut at Bevendean is in order.

I'm swerving Parkrun and planning on August 12th to be my next and last run of 2017. The Achilles takes an hour to warm up every morning and is sore whether running or not. So strength exercises from hill walking and cycling for me. Hopefully that will do the trick to start marathon training in the New Year. Happy enough with the year's progress.

For your ankle have you tried making circles with your big toe. As wide as possible, 10 clockwise and 10 anti clockwise. Then sign the alphabet with your big toe. Finally rub ankle with thumb and gently massage any lumpy scar tissue you find. Good luck and hope the chips have improved in Bankers.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Worthing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
As not doing Parkrun have time to put Mo Farah in the NSC 5000m table for a few weeks as an Honorary Champion. i'll take him off when we play Arsenal.
The big question is where will we be able to watch from next Saturday with the Final scheduled for 8.20 pm?

NAME SB PB AG
Mo Farah 13:00 12:53 101.41%
Curious Orange 18:36 18:36 73.92%
Ninja Elephant 18:50 18:50 67.80%
Big Nuts 19:00 18:40 70.26%
Hooky 19:52 19:52 71.90%
Penny's Harmonica 20:10 20:10 72:56%
St Leonard's 20.15 20.0064.77%
Dazzer 20.22 19.57 72.42%
GNT 20.29 20:20 79.66%
JoePrecious 21:04 19:44 66.30%
Simgull 21:20 20:21 69.14%