Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Completely inspired by the marathon and the heroics on show....and the fact I've had 2 years to forget the nightmare of my first ever half....I'm now FLOATING over the "sign up" button for the 2018 half.

I said I'd never do it again and I didn't enjoy a second of it....but part of my thinks I should give it another go.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
How did people feel about the problems with the water stations? I guess these things happen, but can't see how a race that wants to be number 2 to London can mess up so badly on such a hot day.

Otherwise, an challenging and tough race. Was determined to keep my pace as slow as possible. I think the heat got to me around the 14 mile mark, so started a run/walk.

Finished in just over 6 hours, which was faster than last time, which I'm pleased with. Just glad to finish to be honest, as it looked like quite a few didn't.

Missed out on a T Shirt, as all that was left were extra small, so got one to give to my niece.

Crowd support amazing as ever. Was amazed at the amount of Albion flags, shirts on display around the city. Certainly helped being able to shout "Albion" and "Seagulls" as I made my way round.

I didn't run this year, but my wife did (for the third time).

Her view on the water was/is that the cup thing is pretty crap. They were less than half full, it was difficult to run and drink at the same time (like you can with a bottle/sachet), they were everywhere and she saw people slip on them. Because of the weather I arranged to pass her some drinks at halfway and also just after Church Road.

I am pretty sure that if they had provided water in the same way as previous years as well as energy drinks in a bottle then they wouldn't have had the issues they had this year.

It's fair what people are saying that you're able to mitigate it yourself by carrying water etc, but most of the experienced runners I know never carry water when running in an event and rely on the organisers to provide sufficient water regardless of the weather. On the other end of that, people who are less experienced would probably think that it's a not a problem especially when they see the number of water stations http://www.brightonmarathon.co.uk/fluid-and-fuel

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
hey guys, well done to all NSC Brighton Marathoners! First Brighton Marathon for me (second marathon after London last year), so I'm a marathon newbie. Fantastic atmosphere! Despite the heatwave I had a great time out there and really happy to have made it home in 3:12:23 (sub 3:15 was my target). Pretty even mile split pacing in the 6:50-7:20 range for the first 20 miles until the very common mile 21-26 fade set in. The heat probably got the better of me towards the end plus the power station section was a little soul destroying. I also quickly learnt I'm rubbish at drinking out of cups while running... High fiving Chris Hughton as I crossed the start line was a highlight. Congrats again to all who took part and thanks to all that were cheering us along the way! It was Brighton at it's best on Sunday!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Completely inspired by the marathon and the heroics on show....and the fact I've had 2 years to forget the nightmare of my first ever half....I'm now FLOATING over the "sign up" button for the 2018 half.

I said I'd never do it again and I didn't enjoy a second of it....but part of my thinks I should give it another go.

Set another target that if achieved you will sign up for BM. So, for example, if Brighton gain promotion this season, you're signing up. See you at Preston Park in 2018!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
hey guys, well done to all NSC Brighton Marathoners! First Brighton Marathon for me (second marathon after London last year), so I'm a marathon newbie. Fantastic atmosphere! Despite the heatwave I had a great time out there and really happy to have made it home in 3:12:23 (sub 3:15 was my target). Pretty even mile split pacing in the 6:50-7:20 range for the first 20 miles until the very common mile 21-26 fade set in. The heat probably got the better of me towards the end plus the power station section was a little soul destroying. I also quickly learnt I'm rubbish at drinking out of cups while running... High fiving Chris Hughton as I crossed the start line was a highlight. Congrats again to all who took part and thanks to all that were cheering us along the way! It was Brighton at it's best on Sunday!

Top, top effort :bowdown:

Did you have a Brighton top on? There was a runner in, I think the red third kit who went by me on Boundary Rd very early on. I suppose the thing with the heat and the lack of Kenyans meant that the gap between the elites and those just under pushing for 3 hours was pretty small.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Well with a 3.12 in that heat first go around I'm sure you'll be seeing a sub 3 or better in no time, great running!

Cheers mate! Would love to get close to the 3 hour mark one day but would need to increase the volume and probably up my weekly mileage north of 50-60 miles a week I think and that's a hefty time commitment. I was peaking at around 35 miles a week leading up to Brighton which is a little light. As they say, long running makes a marathon runner.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Top, top effort :bowdown:

Did you have a Brighton top on? There was a runner in, I think the red third kit who went by me on Boundary Rd very early on. I suppose the thing with the heat and the lack of Kenyans meant that the gap between the elites and those just under pushing for 3 hours was pretty small.

Thanks very much! No I wasn't wearing a Brighton top. Kudos to whoever that was! To run in colours in that heat must have been challenging. There were some seriously rapid guys and girls out there!

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
8ca6b9c02310d4d1153ff96ba7e61d80.jpg

Me and the lad going into Lagoon Rd
I thought water stations were manic and energy drinks weren't clearly marked when you got to a station
I took my own water and never had any problems with getting energy gels
I suspect the further back in the field you were the water etc was getting short in supply by then
Out to the power station was a killer and my lad hated it, my worst bit was up towards Hove and back again
Overall I thought it was OK but if I had to make a suggestion it would be to have two separate queuing systems at the Park and Ride at The Amex
We got there early luckily but the que was horrendous by the time we got on the bus and families and pushchairs are all in the same line so I suspect a few runners didn't get to there correct pens in time

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
How did people feel about the problems with the water stations? I guess these things happen, but can't see how a race that wants to be number 2 to London can mess up so badly on such a hot day.

Otherwise, an challenging and tough race. Was determined to keep my pace as slow as possible. I think the heat got to me around the 14 mile mark, so started a run/walk.

Finished in just over 6 hours, which was faster than last time, which I'm pleased with. Just glad to finish to be honest, as it looked like quite a few didn't.

Missed out on a T Shirt, as all that was left were extra small, so got one to give to my niece.

Crowd support amazing as ever. Was amazed at the amount of Albion flags, shirts on display around the city. Certainly helped being able to shout "Albion" and "Seagulls" as I made my way round.

Apparently if you contact Brighton Marathon they will send you a correct size finishers t-shirt. My mate got given a 10k one at the end by mistake (only discovered when they got home!)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Set another target that if achieved you will sign up for BM. So, for example, if Brighton gain promotion this season, you're signing up. See you at Preston Park in 2018!

Do you know what. In the end I just registered as I knew I'd wimp out otherwise.

Last time I started my training in January (having never ran before) and died at about 10.5 miles.

This time I want to start early with a slow structured training plan and feel that I can achieve the distance by Christmas. To put in context I went for my first run in over a year on Sunday after watching the marathon. I had to stop at 2 miles for a minute or so and then plodded the last mile. I realise it was a hot day to start again but I was shocked just how hard I found it.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

That's rapid by any standards. Once you take the heat into account it's even more impressive. Great run :clap:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Do you know what. In the end I just registered as I knew I'd wimp out otherwise.

Last time I started my training in January (having never ran before) and died at about 10.5 miles.

This time I want to start early with a slow structured training plan and feel that I can achieve the distance by Christmas. To put in context I went for my first run in over a year on Sunday after watching the marathon. I had to stop at 2 miles for a minute or so and then plodded the last mile. I realise it was a hot day to start again but I was shocked just how hard I found it.

I'd recommend running for a charity and get some cash behind you, you'll soon be out running regularly, certainly closer to the run. For lazy people like me it's a good motivator.

The longest I've run before any half is about 11 miles, the day itself gets you through the last two.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Someone has posted a pic of him........doesn't look like someone ambling back to collect his bag for a DNF..........

cb892176d4b64d295142ce465356d4f7.jpg

Interestingly he ran the race last year in 4hrs and something so he knew the way!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

That's super-quick. You should do more of them [emoji106][emoji106]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Get a plan (loads on line to get you started), have a very gradual build up to help avoid injury, start to practice fuelling and hydration (it's partly what training runs are for, not just covering distance - no good turning up on the day and finding out High-5 gels make you puke). Do some cross training to get your core strengthened, have a regular sports massage (it's not whale music and scented candles, it's someone with sharp elbows and knuckles that will make you cry). Lob any questions on here any time, it's probably the most helpful ongoing thread on NSC with dozens of experienced runners chipping in.

You'll soon find the miles get a bit easier - stick with it !

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Get a plan (loads on line to get you started), have a very gradual build up to help avoid injury, start to practice fuelling and hydration (it's partly what training runs are for, not just covering distance - no good turning up on the day and finding out High-5 gels make you puke). Do some cross training to get your core strengthened, have a regular sports massage (it's not whale music and scented candles, it's someone with sharp elbows and knuckles that will make you cry). Lob any questions on here any time, it's probably the most helpful ongoing thread on NSC with dozens of experienced runners chipping in.

You'll soon find the miles get a bit easier - stick with it !

That's great. thanks for the advice.

Whereas last time I HATED the training as it was sheer panic that I had one month to go from 3 miles to 13, I'm hoping this time I can enjoy (hopefully) making steady progress.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
That's great. thanks for the advice.

Whereas last time I HATED the training as it was sheer panic that I had one month to go from 3 miles to 13, I'm hoping this time I can enjoy (hopefully) making steady progress.

Go to a parkrun. They really are good in the early stages of training, for getting you out and about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here