Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Thought I'd give Tunbridge Wells park run a try. Lovely course x2 laps round Dunorlan Park with half on a gravelled path around a pond and half off track through grass. Quite tricky on the second lap as the grass was getting badly torn up and muddy. In difficulty I'd rate it a bit harder than peacehaven as quite hilly with a very narrow conjested path. Really good cafe right next to the finish is a massive plus. 22:16 and 26th.

Good luck to the 10k racers tomorrow. Good bit of competition should bring out the best in you and look forward to the report.

I'm up for the 11th [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]. Don't have a preference so I'll leave the location up to you.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Run Director at Maldon Prom parkrun for me today. All pretty uneventful really. One Stopwatch stopped working, funnel ducker somewhere between pos 190 and 232.
Results out by 11 am.
Swansea Bay parkrun next Saturday!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Random Parkrun thought.... if an Albion player ran it what would their time be and who is likely to be the best?

On another thread I had a debate with Hans Kraay Fan Club around how quickly professional footballers could run a 5k.

Hans felt that any professional footballer could run a sub 18 minute 5k, whereas I felt a fair few could but certainly not all of them.

Would be interesting to see a Albion players lineup as we have some good athletes in the team.

Torbjen Adgestein (remember him) ran Hove Park Run and clocked something like 22 minutes but he may have you don't know if that was a maximum effort run.

Stockdale's Strava times were nothing to write home about generally 8/9 minute miles, although he as a bit lardy.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Pascal Gross would win out of all the Albion players, but it would have been Sparrow back when he was here.

I've warmed up for the Hove Prom 10k with an 18:46 around Hove Park, about 9 seconds quicker than my previous best and it's my second best time over the distance. A couple of weeks out of the sub-18 minute attempt and I'm feeling like it's possible.

Good running. I'm currently on the sofa with a Lucozade and a bag of Monster Munch trying to rehydrate for the race tomorrow. 18:46 is a good time around Hove Park so sub 18 would be doable on the flat somewhere.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
On another thread I had a debate with Hans Kraay Fan Club around how quickly professional footballers could run a 5k.

Hans felt that any professional footballer could run a sub 18 minute 5k, whereas I felt a fair few could but certainly not all of them.

Would be interesting to see a Albion players lineup as we have some good athletes in the team.

Torbjen Adgestein (remember him) ran Hove Park Run and clocked something like 22 minutes but he may have you don't know if that was a maximum effort run.

Stockdale's Strava times were nothing to write home about generally 8/9 minute miles, although he as a bit lardy.

Well here's a bit of (dodgy) evidence.....................There used to be a Worthing charity run along the seafront - about 3.5 miles. After I finished it (and I would have been around an 18 minute 5k runner at the time) I noticed Garry Nelson - then in his prime - come in just after me; there were no times recorded and of the many hundreds who took part I would have been one of the few who took it seriously. As I knew Garry I immediately went over to point out the lack of fitness of professional footballers whereupon he told me that he'd run at least a bit of it with his young chid (it was a family fun-run). And it was out of season. In short I think that he would have been a sub-18 man!

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Not a Brighton footballer but at Greenock parkrun:

Professional footballer Robbie Crawford was first home in a time of 16.35, smashing his PB in the process by 25 seconds followed closely by Daniel Doherty who also improved on his best time.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not a Brighton footballer but at Greenock parkrun:

Professional footballer Robbie Crawford was first home in a time of 16.35, smashing his PB in the process by 25 seconds followed closely by Daniel Doherty who also improved on his best time.

out of interest, how did you pick this up?

I reckon the entire Albion squad (except perhaps Ankergren) would and would be required to clock sub 18 minutes

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Trundled round Beachy Head today in about 4.35. Ran a fair chunk of it with [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] when he caught me up about 5-6 miles in which was nice. Absolutely perfect day for it - some fantastic views on the Downs.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I’m into the sub-21s with a 20:43 this morning at Worthing. Very happy with that, especially with a badly bruised foot. Luckily the strong wind didn’t materialise and it was just a breeze that provided a nice push on the way back. I’ve now got Swansea Bay, Preston Park, Upton Court and Congleton Parkruns in the next four weeks so I’m looking forward to seeing if some harder courses will help me beat my 20:43 when I get back to Worthing in December.

Excellent. I won't get in front of you this year and probably not next.:bigwave::bigwave::bigwave:

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
Trundled round Beachy Head today in about 4.35. Ran a fair chunk of it with [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] when he caught me up about 5-6 miles in which was nice. Absolutely perfect day for it - some fantastic views on the Downs.

It really was a fantastic day and the views from the top of the Downs were amazing. Got round in 4.43 which was about what I hoped for. Given how much I struggled in the last few miles (the Seven Sisters are a killer!) I was very pleased with it. Brilliantly organised race - refreshment stops had a great selection of food and drink, and food once you had finished was also appreciated!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It really was a fantastic day and the views from the top of the Downs were amazing. Got round in 4.43 which was about what I hoped for. Given how much I struggled in the last few miles (the Seven Sisters are a killer!) I was very pleased with it. Brilliantly organised race - refreshment stops had a great selection of food and drink, and food once you had finished was also appreciated!

Great work......cracking event as you say. I didn’t bother with the food after, the queue is usually a right pain. My lad is at Uni in Eastbourne so went to his flat for a shower, and then a massive burger in town.

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
First park run in a while for me at peacehaven (Taxi service for daughters violin lesson) but very pleasing PB in 21:44. AG 64.26 % annoyingly strava had the 5k 5 seconds faster.

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
out of interest, how did you pick this up?

I reckon the entire Albion squad (except perhaps Ankergren) would and would be required to clock sub 18 minutes

No chance, I think there is a zero percent chance Gaetan Bong could run sub 18, and Baldock would probably pick up an injury within a KM. I think you're underestimating how hard it is to go that fast and not everybody is built like that. I would honestly doubt they've timed themselves over the distance, but maybe [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] could ask if there are stats, even if they won't tell us who ran the times it would be interesting to know their 5k times.

Congrats to [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION], [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13467]JoePrecious[/MENTION] for the Beachy Head Marathon - did [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] run it as well?

Looks like [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] is looking to get himself into the Super Egos team for the Weakest Link 2018 - @gypsy king is going to need to re-appear and start posting some qualifying times!

In THE battle of the day, I narrowly defeated [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] by 15-20 seconds I think, not too much in it. The splits are below. My 10k record has gone from 41:31 to 39:00:)02) (hoping the chip time might find me half a second!) so I'm pretty pleased with that as a result and pulling off the shock victory over the big fella! I'll look to update the table either later today or tomorrow.

Hove Prom 10k.JPG

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
No chance, I think there is a zero percent chance Gaetan Bong could run sub 18, and Baldock would probably pick up an injury within a KM. I think you're underestimating how hard it is to go that fast and not everybody is built like that. I would honestly doubt they've timed themselves over the distance, but maybe [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] could ask if there are stats, even if they won't tell us who ran the times it would be interesting to know their 5k times.

Congrats to [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION], [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13467]JoePrecious[/MENTION] for the Beachy Head Marathon - did [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] run it as well?

Looks like [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] is looking to get himself into the Super Egos team for the Weakest Link 2018 - @gypsy king is going to need to re-appear and start posting some qualifying times!

In THE battle of the day, I narrowly defeated [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] by 15-20 seconds I think, not too much in it. The splits are below. My 10k record has gone from 41:31 to 39:00:)02) (hoping the chip time might find me half a second!) so I'm pretty pleased with that as a result and pulling off the shock victory over the big fella! I'll look to update the table either later today or tomorrow.

View attachment 90648

Congratulations, I was well beaten. The first two miles felt good almost effortless but by halfway I was starting to pay and by 4 miles the gap had increased to ten seconds, so I just had to hang on as didn’t want a DNF!

Watch wouldn’t work today but I reckon 39:15/20 so about ten seconds away from a PB.

If Brooks has similar conditions in 3 weeks and I get in two park runs before then, I think I can go sub 39.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
layer
]

fair enough but given their level of fitness, the intensity of their training and the pace and stamina of the players they are up against we might be surprised how fit they actually are, with middle distances being part of the pre season training regime. anyone got any inside info?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
fair enough but given their level of fitness, the intensity of their training and the pace and stamina of the players they are up against we might be surprised how fit they actually are, with middle distances being part of the pre season training regime. anyone got any inside info?

Doubt any of them get close to running anywhere near 5k. Would be interesting to have a debate with the club fitness coaches about how they ensure the players have a decent endurance level. I saw a lot of Stockdale’s runs on Strava, he was properly shite - 24-25 min 5ks. I reckon most of them would be great over 800-1500m, but crap after that.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Looking at the Worthing parkrun this week, there were very few runners who broke 18 minutes. But 2 of them were 45-49 and one was 50-54. I'd find it difficult to believe that a professional athlete, in his 20s or early 30s who trained to the intensity of the elite pros wouldn't beat this opposition. And all of these would be 'naturally fit' guys too, we assume. I think that they might struggle over longer distance but a 5k I would think would play to their strengths. All conjecture of course and it would be great to have some facts.

Another example dredged up from many years back: when the Great North Run was in its early days I believe that Kevin Keegan ran it and offered money for charity for every one that beat him. I can't remember the details but I think I remember that not many did beat him. This proves naff-all of course!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here