Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Having started couch to 5k at the end of march and put in about 500 miles, I've suffering with a sore knee for the last few months. I rest, ice for a week or 10 days then as soon as I go over about 6 miles the pain comes back. With my first half marathon looming large in 7 weeks (brighton), I'm a tad concerned. Any advice? Is it worth seeing a physio to diagnose the issue? All rather frustrating as got PB for 5k down to 21.44 and £10k 46.53 but now being hindered in any progression by this recurring problem. I've run lewes downland 10 mile in 1:29:21 and run the same distance twice more. Is the solution to pop some nurofen and grim and bear it? Hoping for some reassurance or at 43 is this something I just have to put up with?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Had a great day out in Bedgbury today. Early start to get there for Parkrun which was a single 5km loop through the woods with three decent climbs. Finished 12th of 183 (record turnout there too) in 23:27 and first in age group.
Excellent breakfast - rival to Bevendean- in the visitor centre afterwards where they give 10% discount to parkrunners - contrast this to the Goldstone car park issuing parking fines to park runners -Why not instead encourage visitors to use your business??

Then spent a couple of hours mountain biking, I was a bit concerned about what state the trail would be in following the recent weather - but they are brilliantly maintained with just a few fun puddles to plough through.

Got to say Bedgebury is a superb facility- all you pay for is the parking a very reasonable £12/day and for this you can run, cycle, walk, play in the playgrounds and visit the arboretum- all superbly maintained. A really nice, reasonably priced cafe over looking the lake - just wish it was a little bit closer to Brighton.

Coincidentally I was recommended a Bedgbury 10 mile trail race which I entered last night pissed up watching the Ashes.

It’s the first Sunday in February so I’m treating it as the perfect preparation race before I beat @Ninja Elephant in the Worthing half.

Still entries left for anyone here that fancies a scenic 10 miler.

CC2

Nov 9, 2008
Had a great day out in Bedgbury today. Early start to get there for Parkrun which was a single 5km loop through the woods with three decent climbs. Finished 12th of 183 (record turnout there too) in 23:27 and first in age group.
Excellent breakfast - rival to Bevendean- in the visitor centre afterwards where they give 10% discount to parkrunners - contrast this to the Goldstone car park issuing parking fines to park runners -Why not instead encourage visitors to use your business??

Then spent a couple of hours mountain biking, I was a bit concerned about what state the trail would be in following the recent weather - but they are brilliantly maintained with just a few fun puddles to plough through.

Got to say Bedgebury is a superb facility- all you pay for is the parking a very reasonable £12/day and for this you can run, cycle, walk, play in the playgrounds and visit the arboretum- all superbly maintained. A really nice, reasonably priced cafe over looking the lake - just wish it was a little bit closer to Brighton.

Presumably for Bedgebury Park Run you do not need to pay the £12/day parking charge?

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

I was looking at this in November but never managed to get up there. Reasonably close for me so I will definitely give it a go.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Having started couch to 5k at the end of march and put in about 500 miles, I've suffering with a sore knee for the last few months. I rest, ice for a week or 10 days then as soon as I go over about 6 miles the pain comes back. With my first half marathon looming large in 7 weeks (brighton), I'm a tad concerned. Any advice? Is it worth seeing a physio to diagnose the issue? All rather frustrating as got PB for 5k down to 21.44 and £10k 46.53 but now being hindered in any progression by this recurring problem. I've run lewes downland 10 mile in 1:29:21 and run the same distance twice more. Is the solution to pop some nurofen and grim and bear it? Hoping for some reassurance or at 43 is this something I just have to put up with?

Well done on your 2017 running achievement. Lot more than couch to 5k.
First never run with nurofen or any pain killer. It screws up your insides (I've forgotten how) and masks signs of injury from your brain.
I may be able to save you £40 on this one. Lie flat on floor. Hand under ankle and bring heel up to touch bum. Make sure you engage your core (stomach). The stretch is felt in the quads (thighs). Hold for 10 seconds. Do both sides. Abort immediately, if any pain. Warm up gently first.
If this works buy me a pint. If not ring Coral's Gym Hove Greyhound Stadium and try and book Paul Godley. Jesus will either fix it in one visit or tell you what it is.

Don't run through it unless you've been told that's ok. Good luck.

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
I seemed to have lost my running mojo over the last couple of months (if anyone find it let me know). ParkRun are all I'm doing right now which is just keeping me ticking over until, hopefully things return to normal.
Made a last minute decision to do Bevingdean yesterday ... That hill was tough! , it was very muddy and I wasn't expecting to dodge cows!
Time was awful, but I scraped a top 10 finish so that gave me a boost even though there was only a field of 25.
Toughest ParkRun I've done... Will wait till the spring before trying it again.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
I seemed to have lost my running mojo over the last couple of months (if anyone find it let me know). ParkRun are all I'm doing right now which is just keeping me ticking over until, hopefully things return to normal.
Made a last minute decision to do Bevingdean yesterday ... That hill was tough! , it was very muddy and I wasn't expecting to dodge cows!
Time was awful, but I scraped a top 10 finish so that gave me a boost even though there was only a field of 25.

Now you understand why there were 600 at Hove Park and only 25 at Bevy, the hill is a killer but the cattle add a nice twist.

Try entering a race or 2. I find once I’ve committed to something it usually gives me the motivation to get going again.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Some questions for early morning runners:
Do you warm up before starting your run? And if so how?
Do you eat/drink before setting off?
How long is it between getting up and leaving for your run?
And the killer question..
Do you have to do a “proper number 2’ before setting off?
Thanks

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

As the above posters says, enter a race to provide some purpose and an end goal. I’m not sure what distances you typically run but go for something longer than you might normally do.....this will then give you a nice sense of achievement when you’ve completed it.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Thanks

I spoke to someone yesterday who said they have to get up at 6 so they can be sure they'll crank out a turd before Parky. It was an unexpected insight to which I didn't know how to respond, but respect to them for being open about it

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks

I always run the the morning

If I’m running a tempo run or a long run I stretch my legs. I’ve got a set of three stretches which I do on each leg for 30 seconds. I do this twice.
Don’t eat or drink but if it’s a long run, 16 miles plus, I take water with me and maybe have a glug before I leave.
I literally get up, have a wee, put my stuff on and go.
I don’t aim to force anything out but if the need is there......

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, a slow 12 mile grind this morning.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ask 10 runners and you’ll probably get 11 different answers, but........

Do you warm up before starting your run?

Nope, just run slowly to warm up for 10-20 mins (depending on length of run)

Nope, occasionally a cup of tea, but usually nothing. Prefer to run empty regardless of distance.

15-20 mins, mainly to allow for the question that follows [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Absolutely yes.

Thanks

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Does anyone else have a TomTom watch? I ran 28k this morning and all the details logged correctly. I got home and the watch synced with TomTom Sports Connect so that my run was on there. It should then automatically sync to Strava but... nothing. Has anyone else had this?

My watch is a bit old and below-par now for the amount of distance I cover each week. This might be the final straw and lead to the inevitable Garmin Forerunner 235 purchase.

Not sure it's a Tom Tom issue as my run has also failed to upload to Strava from Garmin. It's not that uncommon and you may find it appears at some point next week or it may equally be lost forever.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Thanks

I usually have a bowl of granola with some fresh fruit and yogurt about 90 mins before heading out. No stretching beforehand but a brisk 15 dog walk to warm up. Always try to unload beforehand but getting caught short on a run sure gets you home in a hurry.
And tea. At least 3 cups usually 4.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I usually have a bowl of granola with some fresh fruit and yogurt about 90 mins before heading out. No stretching beforehand but a brisk 15 dog walk to warm up. Always try to unload beforehand but getting caught short on a run sure gets you home in a hurry.
And tea. At least 3 cups usually 4.

Brighton Marathon Preston Park 2016. 10 minutes waiting in the line for the portaloos or the bushes. Never found out which one you chose but the granola was obviously kicking in. :lolol:

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Brighton Marathon Preston Park 2016. 10 minutes waiting in the line for the portaloos or the bushes. Never found out which one you chose but the granola was obviously kicking in. :lolol:

I didn’t use either and went out fully loaded. Came home 10 minutes quicker than my target time and ran straight to the porta loo at the finish. All muscles were stretched that day :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here