Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
With reference to my watch enquiry .....Garmin or Suunto? :lolol:

TomTom :p

It has been having an issue with the battery holding charge - it'll just about manage two hours... but that is no good for a marathon... and it is supposed to last for ten hours of activities... and it is still under warranty - so off it goes!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Morning everyone. So, Day 2 of marathon training (splish sploshing in the rain and mud at 6am) and I’ve decided my Garmin needs updating. I currently have a 210 which is a very basic model which is very old and now falling apart. . I’d like to get something a bit more snazzy which

1) Doesn’t take an eternity to locate the GPS satellites. This is a real bug bear at the start of races.
2) Can do all that snazzy stuff where I can post Google maps of my runs hopefully with my iPhone.
3) Tots up my stats again with my iPhone.

Over to you and thanks in advance.

For me it was between the Garmin Fenix and the Suunto Ambit 3 peak.. both great watch’s with pretty much the same gizmos..both can do all the above and more..

In the end I went for the Suunto due to slightly better battery length, I wasn’t bothered about the colour screen which makes the garmin imo a better looking watch.. Syncing to Movescount onto my iPhone used to be a bit hit or miss with the Suunto, though recently uploading has been instant. Having used it now for over a year it’s been great, never needs a charge and when it does it’s very quick on charging up to 100%. Picks up GPS within about 30 seconds on a good day.. about a minute on some other days.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
William Cowan,52, will have trouble knowing what to do on a Saturday morning when he peers over the wall to do his gender count on Parkrun urination and find they've pissed off elsewhere.

“I was thinking about going out with my camera but... well, I shouldn’t have to,” said Mr Dillingham.

Yeah, it's probably best you don't film women taking a piss. :lolol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Changed mind and set off to Hove Park with chesty cold today. Just made it even though I was posting on the cricket thread at 8.37 and hadn't abluted. Squeezed in near the front and hadn't noticed the bumper turnout of 601+30 volunteers. Apologies Ninja for arguing about that but I wouldn't be nicknamed Knocky otherwise.......

Just got sub 23 (the table can wait) and realised how you need air in your lungs to run. Impressed with Greg Bobkins 5" mile pace finish. Set me thinking of a new challenge post Brighton marathon. We run round in a group at 7:30 to 8:00 pace and then race the last half mile or from the top of the hill........should be fun.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Changed mind and set off to Hove Park with chesty cold today. Just made it even though I was posting on the cricket thread at 8.37 and hadn't abluted. Squeezed in near the front and hadn't noticed the bumper turnout of 601+30 volunteers. Apologies Ninja for arguing about that but I wouldn't be nicknamed Knocky otherwise.......

Just got sub 23 (the table can wait) and realised how you need air in your lungs to run. Impressed with Greg Bobkins 5" mile pace finish. Set me thinking of a new challenge post Brighton marathon. We run round in a group at 7:30 to 8:00 pace and then race the last half mile or from the top of the hill........should be fun.

The great thing about that time is you didn't get stuck in the vast funnel scurrying for a token around the 24:00 finishers. Must have been around a course record attendance today

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
New year resolutions were very much in force at Preston Park this morning with a record turnout of 627 and quite noticeably more congested. Went round in 23.35 (66.86%) per the results so this is my seasons best for the table. Should be able to knock a bit off of that but haven't been under 23 for a few months now!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Parkrun is an incredible thing isn’t it? So simple but so brilliant.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hove Prom was cancelled today. Pebbles on prom. Parkrun website diplomatic blaming weather. The Council cleared it this afternoon. #chargeforParkrun

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hove Prom was cancelled today. Pebbles on prom. Parkrun website diplomatic blaming weather. The Council cleared it this afternoon. #chargeforParkrun

Hove Prom volunteers had arranged a work party (followed by a beer) for last night to clear the pebbles, but cancelled it after the decision to cancel the run was made........

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hove Prom volunteers had arranged a work party (followed by a beer) for last night to clear the pebbles, but cancelled it after the decision to cancel the run was made........

Well, I'm certainly behind that decision. Excellent.:lolol::drink:

The council on the other hand are just about to announce that I have to give them £2,000, if I sell my beach hut down there....

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Had a great day out in Bedgbury today. Early start to get there for Parkrun which was a single 5km loop through the woods with three decent climbs. Finished 12th of 183 (record turnout there too) in 23:27 and first in age group.
Excellent breakfast - rival to Bevendean- in the visitor centre afterwards where they give 10% discount to parkrunners - contrast this to the Goldstone car park issuing parking fines to park runners -Why not instead encourage visitors to use your business??

Then spent a couple of hours mountain biking, I was a bit concerned about what state the trail would be in following the recent weather - but they are brilliantly maintained with just a few fun puddles to plough through.

Got to say Bedgebury is a superb facility- all you pay for is the parking a very reasonable £12/day and for this you can run, cycle, walk, play in the playgrounds and visit the arboretum- all superbly maintained. A really nice, reasonably priced cafe over looking the lake - just wish it was a little bit closer to Brighton.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Credit to him. Him and NZ man are a permanent fixture at the top of the distance table.

I ran a HM yesterday and I’m planning something similar tomorrow so I didn’t go for it at Parkrun this morning. I went to Tilgate for only the second time, a year after running 26:36 there. I got round in 21:16 after taking it easy on the hills which I was quite pleased with. It’s a nice course/park that Crawley doesn’t deserve. I’m limiting myself to one PB attempt per month now as the marathon stuff has to take priority. January’s attempt will be Worthing on the 27th.

My motto is take Parkrun easy during winter and marathon training time. Sit back by 30 seconds a mile and try and stop anyone overtaking over the last half mile. Plenty of time to smash your pb.

You must want to smash sub 20 as so near. Patience required. You'll do it this year but get those miles in.

Congratulations if you go and do it earlier!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Had a great day out in Bedgbury today. Early start to get there for Parkrun which was a single 5km loop through the woods with three decent climbs. Finished 12th of 183 (record turnout there too) in 23:27 and first in age group.
Excellent breakfast - rival to Bevendean- in the visitor centre afterwards where they give 10% discount to parkrunners - contrast this to the Goldstone car park issuing parking fines to park runners -Why not instead encourage visitors to use your business??

Then spent a couple of hours mountain biking, I was a bit concerned about what state the trail would be in following the recent weather - but they are brilliantly maintained with just a few fun puddles to plough through.

Got to say Bedgebury is a superb facility- all you pay for is the parking a very reasonable £12/day and for this you can run, cycle, walk, play in the playgrounds and visit the arboretum- all superbly maintained. A really nice, reasonably priced cafe over looking the lake - just wish it was a little bit closer to Brighton.

All well and good but where the hell is Bedgebury.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here