Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The last 4 miles will be a doddle as the adrenaline and crowd get you through it
Don't panic and enjoy the whole day
My thinking is it's like sightseeing on legs on marathon day

Haha, I have always found this to be complete and utter bollox :D

The last 4 miles is a painful shuffle where you ask yourself 100 times 'why did I sign up for this sh*t ?', and where genuinely well-meaning people are cheering you on, but after the 50th 'come on, you can do it' or 'you're nearly there', you feel like saying 'p*ss off you patronising git and leave me alone'

..............then you actually finish, say 'never again', go and have a beer, get home and start looking for another marathon to enter :whistle::whistle:

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010

The last 4 miles is a painful shuffle where you ask yourself 100 times 'why did I sign up for this sh*t ?', and where genuinely well-meaning people are cheering you on, but after the 50th 'come on, you can do it' or 'you're nearly there', you feel like saying 'p*ss off you patronising git and leave me alone'

..............then you actually finish, say 'never again', go and have a beer, get home and start looking for another marathon to enter :whistle::whistle:

This maybe true but not what I want to hear!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This maybe true but not what I want to hear!

LOL. Probably just me - I am a miserable barsteward towards the end of a race (because I've usually messed it up big time by then)

Worse of course are the smart-arse spectators who shout 'you're nearly there' as you exit Preston Park. You can quite legitimately tell them to piss off. :D

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
LOL. Probably just me - I am a miserable barsteward towards the end of a race (because I've usually messed it up big time by then)

Worse of course are the smart-arse spectators who shout 'you're nearly there' as you exit Preston Park. You can quite legitimately tell them to piss off. :D

I find it more frustrating when people say "Just one more mile to go", oblivious to the fact that your body is almost at breaking point and one METRE is further than you'd rather go, let alone one MILE!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I find it more frustrating when people say "Just one more mile to go", oblivious to the fact that your body is almost at breaking point and one METRE is further than you'd rather go, let alone one MILE!

Indeed, I am hoping this will all be shouted out in cypiot greek on Sunday and I will just grimmace and shuffle on! I will have to be careful as guess everyone will understand **** off you ******** in any country!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave

SO very true. I am at the moment thinking WTF have I entered another marathon. For the first 18 miles I will be thinking, oh this is not too bad, 18-20 I will be thinging you stupid ******** idiot, why why why why, 20-24 it will be head down plodding along saying my legs dont really hurt that much, 25 I will start to believe that I will get to the finish line, 26 how am i still in mile 26 this has been going on for about 3 miles, the last 0.2 I will enjoy!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
SO very true. I am at the moment thinking WTF have I entered another marathon. For the first 18 miles I will be thinking, oh this is not too bad, 18-20 I will be thinging you stupid ******** idiot, why why why why, 20-24 it will be head down plodding along saying my legs dont really hurt that much, 25 I will start to believe that I will get to the finish line, 26 how am i still in mile 26 this has been going on for about 3 miles, the last 0.2 I will enjoy!

LOL...and Brighton is particularly bad.

As you go past the Lagoon on the way to the finish.............'Wooo hoo, I can see the pier, nearly finished :thumbsup:'

30 mins later..............'that pier is no ****ing closer than it was 30 minutes ago'

:censored:

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
LOL...and Brighton is particularly bad.

As you go past the Lagoon on the way to the finish.............'Wooo hoo, I can see the pier, nearly finished :thumbsup:'

30 mins later..............'that pier is no ****ing closer than it was 30 minutes ago'

:censored:

Got to agree with that as in the London Marathon you come over the Bridge and see runners heading left and you go right then realise they are 7 miles in front of you but when you get to the same point 7 miles later and look at all the runners you have a smug grin on your face

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Got to agree with that as in the London Marathon you come over the Bridge and see runners heading left and you go right then realise they are 7 miles in front of you but when you get to the same point 7 miles later and look at all the runners you have a smug grin on your face

Spot on. Every time I've done London it's more or less coincided with the leaders (or elites at least) going the other way there................scary to see how fast they are running

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Am totally with you. I thought the VLM was a version of torment - 26 miles of running through people screaming at you: almost literally a case of the road to hell being paved with good intentions. Never again.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Am totally with you. I thought the VLM was a version of torment - 26 miles of running through people screaming at you: almost literally a case of the road to hell being paved with good intentions. Never again.

I found VLM at stages quite claustrophobic, when I was basically dead on my feet at 18 miles as I hit the wall I had to run in the middle of the road as it felt like people where screaming in my face. That was the first team I felt the kick of a power gel, it is how I imagine it feels for athletes to take a banned substance and get a boost. I actually recovered from 19-24 then had to walk most of 25 before getting back to a shuffle and actually enjoyed running up the Mall! The crowds when I did it were massive (estimated at 700,000) as just after the Boston Marathon bomb and people came out to show solidarity. I still have the black ribbon attached to the top I ran in that day.

http://www.eastlondonlines.co.uk/20...wds-through-lewisham-and-tower-hamlets-audio/

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Did my last long run tonight
22.5 miles in 3:23 so happy with that in the wind and rain here in Devon
Taper time now

I really can't imagine running that far! Enjoy your taper.

Went out for my second run since last weeks effort, and I have to say I'm feeling good... I'm usually broken for a week after a half marathon, so this has come as a pleasant surprise.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Yep, exactly how I felt at Brighton last year. only for the last 7 miles.

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
Fairly new to running and I've a query about max heart rate...

Ran the Worthing park Run today, and when i checked my Garmin later my heart rate was at 182 by the end.

I'll be 50 in May so the rough guide says my max should be 170. I didn't think i was pushing myself too much..

Should i be worried? Should i take it easier? Or just take it with a pinch of salt?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon

Ran the Worthing park Run today, and when i checked my Garmin later my heart rate was at 182 by the end.

I'll be 50 in May so the rough guide says my max should be 170. I didn't think i was pushing myself too much..

Should i be worried? Should i take it easier? Or just take it with a pinch of salt?

Are you still breathing!!
Seriously mine goes way above what it should do for an average 59year old but if you are fit your heart rate won't do you no harm in the short bursts now and then

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Age 58. My measured Max HR is 186.

Your Max is your Max,

220-50 is a VERY rough guideline.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here