Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Given there seems to be a lot of runners on this site, and a number of people looking to get started in the world of running I thought it would be a good idea to get a single thread up and , er, running.

Hopefully we can use this thread to discuss and share upcoming races, personal courses, PBs, tips, injuries, encourage newbies, the music we're listening to whilst grinding round our fair city........ in fact anything.

To get the ball rolling Mrs Tubthumper and myself will be taking in the Hove Park 5k tomorrow morning. See you there.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm quite tempted by this 5k malarky, where do you sign up?

I'm currently training for the 10k in October 3rd and Brighton Marathon. I've been recovering from a metatarsal injury so have been doing more swimming then running recently, will be off the pace at the 10k but would like to be ably to complete it under 40m.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Love running, if only to train for football, tennis etc. Especially sprint training, 3 mins jog then 30 secs sprint. Great for getting the body toned/losing weight, and stops me getting bored like I normally do just going the same speed!

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I'm currently training for the 10k in October 3rd and Brighton Marathon. I've been recovering from a metatarstle injury so have been doing more swimming then runnin recently, will be off the pace at the 10k but would like to be ably to complete it under 40m.

If you google Hove Park Run it will come up. You just enter a few details and they will email you a bar code. Take this every run and you will get an official time. You only need to present your bar code once you've finished. It's good fun and a great way to start the weekend (if you have not already started it on the Friday night)...with a few other Albion loons.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've been injured for 4 months, but my physio tells me I can get re-started at the end of the month. I had been running 3 times a week (at least) for the past 3 years except for this injury period, and it's been hard. :(

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I'm currently training for the 10k in October 3rd and Brighton Marathon. I've been recovering from a metatarsal injury so have been doing more swimming then running recently, will be off the pace at the 10k but would like to be ably to complete it under 40m.

Sub 40 is a bloody good time. Good luck with that.

Reading Seagull

Jun 2, 2010
Reading
Anyone any ideas how to recover from shin splints?

Had it bad after the Reading Half Marathon in March so stopped training completly since then but can't get rid. Tried a very short run last week and they were killing the next day !

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Haven't run further than a quick sprint across the car park when it's raining for twenty years at least but it's my 65th in 3 years' time and I fancy doing a marathon just for the hell of it. Waiting for the dark winter mornings to start a bit of anonymous jogging :lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Anyone any ideas how to recover from shin splints?

Had it bad after the Reading Half Marathon in March so stopped training completly since then but can't get rid. Tried a very short run last week and they were killing the next day !
There is nothing you can do about shin splints. The only solution is to rest until it goes away.

However, once healed, persistant running will eventually more or less eliminate this problem eventually. You just stop getting them.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There is nothing you can do about shin splints. The only solution is to rest until it goes away.

However, once healed, persistant running will eventually more or less eliminate this problem eventually. You just stop getting them.

When you get back to running, be careful to build up your milage very slowly though. Whilst this is good advice generally it is a must for some injuries like splints.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
Just coming up for my 1 yr anniversary of binning my Gym membership (which I never used) and starting to run regularly. I've really enjoyed it and surprised myself at how much I've moved things on in terms of distance/length of time of my runs.

I was totally inspired by the Brighton marathon this year. Was an incredible day and I was just spectating, so I'm signed up for 2011. Currently finalising my training plans ... it's going to be a long, hard winter!

I'll be at ParkRun tomorrow looking to better my 25:45 of last week :thumbsup:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Tomorrow at 10am I start the South Downs Way Race.

103 miles starting from the bandstand at Eastbourne to the Cathedral at Winchester along the South Downs Way National Trail. There is a 32 hour cutoff for finishing, along with cutoffs at each of the 8 checkpoints.

IMO opinion the best running site is Fetch Everyone

Driver8

On the road...
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Set a PB for 10k in Salford last Sunday (49.21) and in training for my first ever half marathon in Macclesfield on 26th. I have also entered the Brighton Marathon next year. I didn't start running until last October at age 44 and now wish I had started 20 years ago.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove

103 miles starting from the bandstand at Eastbourne to the Cathedral at Winchester along the South Downs Way National Trail. There is a 32 hour cutoff for finishing, along with cutoffs at each of the 8 checkpoints.

Wow ... Hardcore. Good luck with that.

I use Fetch as well ... Great for logging training, analysis of your runs and I can upload data directly from my Garmin.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton

103 miles?! Bloody hell, I was chuffed at doing 26 last year. Good luck!

I have just started running again after taking a few months off after marathon. Has taken a month or so but each run is becoming easier so will be looking to step up training for april pretty soon.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

I'm happy when I break 40 mins for 5k (and that's when I make it that far) !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here