Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
First post on here.

Enjoyed the Wimbledon Half Marathon yesterday. Quite proud just to get round being 46 years old and never having been "fit" in my life. Not proud of 2hrs 39mins time, however, as I was very lazy about not training when I should have done during the winter months. Highlight of run was being overtaken by the bloke dressed as a banana who was stopping every mile for a beer...!

I am going to do more training now the weather has improved and go for a PB at the Weald Challenge in May.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
BM10k entry now closed though you may be able to buy a place. However there is no WAY I am stopping after that, it's going to be a first race back, not a last one. So how about a race off in next year's Brighton Half [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]? I'll do it for REMF.

I've never run in, nor considered entering, any sort of event although I did spot a Worthing 10k flyer in the running shop on Saturday that piqued my interest slightly.

Checking back through Nike+ illustrates my running generally lasts a month or two before something happens - I've covered around 500 miles in 6 years!

This indicates the chances of me still actually running by the time the Brighton Half comes round are considerably slimmer than I am.

But it's good to have gone from:

00eeace454fbf7df9d9b62cb0896f80c.jpg

...to:

480fa292d0109401091799f2e96f7e8f.jpg

...in two months, so we'll see.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've never run in, nor considered entering, any sort of event although I did spot a Worthing 10k flyer in the running shop on Saturday that piqued my interest slightly.

Checking back through Nike+ illustrates my running generally lasts a month or two before something happens - I've covered around 500 miles in 6 years!

This indicates the chances of me still actually running by the time the Brighton Half comes round are considerably slimmer than I am.

...to:

Fair enough, let's see nearer the time. I know I'm going to need to enter multiple events to keep my interest going and set myself goals. Immediate post 10k ones are trail running on the downs with my mate and his dog (typically 10 miles so should build me up nicely), The Color Run with a group of friends, probably very slowly, and the Brighton half plus looking in to some of the park and 10k runs Dazzer mentioned. If I do stick it out to the half I'll still do that for REMF.

First post on here.

Enjoyed the Wimbledon Half Marathon yesterday. Quite proud just to get round being 46 years old and never having been "fit" in my life. Not proud of 2hrs 39mins time, however, as I was very lazy about not training when I should have done during the winter months. Highlight of run was being overtaken by the bloke dressed as a banana who was stopping every mile for a beer...!

I am going to do more training now the weather has improved and go for a PB at the Weald Challenge in May.

My very first half-marathon 4 years ago I also got overtaken by a banana. Who is this dick :lolol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I got overtaken by a stick of rock in my first Brighton marathon.

Also in the last one by that guy who was doing something like five consecutive marathons (and was on his fifth).

I was overtaken by a fella wearing one of those horses where it looks like you're riding it - all I could think was 'Ricky Gervais'!!!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

...to:

Just shows how much training improves you. If you did consider a 1/2 this year, I'm a huge fan of the Bexhill Poppy Half & it's a v flat course!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Bozza 57:31 Guiness Boy 58.03 Race! Race!

I clicked my fastest ever 59-06 the other day. I used to do it in 1-05 to 1-10 on the same route although the thought of ever running 'against' anyone isn't a pleasant one - Id prob over do it!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I clicked my fastest ever 59-06 the other day. I used to do it in 1-05 to 1-10 on the same route although the thought of ever running 'against' anyone isn't a pleasant one - Id prob over do it!

I need to build up to a race for best times to get the adrenaline to kick in and last summer the NSC Hove Parkrun Challenge got me finishing a second, in time, behind Bignuts. I was very happy with that but he has now kicked on to sub 20 minutes and he should knock 30 seconds of that. I will never see him again after the starting gun. So Simgull will be my new target this summer as he has better times for the last few years and we should aim at 20:30. Get this Marathon out the way first............and Greg Bobkin, 7:18 and all get ready for the June NSC 5k challenge. You will have to come over for the event. It is about getting your own PB for the year.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I need to build up to a race for best times to get the adrenaline to kick in and last summer the NSC Hove Parkrun Challenge got me finishing a second, in time, behind Bignuts. I was very happy with that but he has now kicked on to sub 20 minutes and he should knock 30 seconds of that. I will never see him again after the starting gun. So Simgull will be my new target this summer as he has better times for the last few years and we should aim at 20:30. Get this Marathon out the way first............and Greg Bobkin, 7:18 and all get ready for the June NSC 5k challenge. You will have to come over for the event. It is about getting your own PB for the year.

Sounds good mate. I've done a few Eastbourne Park Runs (27-50 best) but myself and [MENTION=11493]Cecil[/MENTION] would Prob make a Hove appearance at some point - let me know!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I'm doing a very fast, flat road route because that's what the bm10k is. Going to try and get in to some hills and off road after. It probably skews the PB a bit.

1a route.JPG

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Is that the mind games starting?! After all this marathon training I think it's going to take me a while to get back to sub 21 pace. BigNuts is now off the radar, it's all about the scramble for silver.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Is that the mind games starting?! After all this marathon training I think it's going to take me a while to get back to sub 21 pace. BigNuts is now off the radar, it's all about the scramble for silver.

What times does BigNuts hit? I'm up for challenging him for his crown!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Oooh, getting a bit tasty up at the top :) If I can keep things up I'm hoping to dip under 21 this year so could be a blanket finish

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sub-21? I don't actually believe that is humanly possible.

I'm in Bristol for work so did a quick run around the floating harbour this morning. Unlike my regular runs at home (first mile down, last mile uphill) it is largely flat.

I tried to not go out too fast, as my usual downhill start always seems to, and thought I'd aim for c9m/miles (my fastest average is 9:16/mile) and it went ok.

It's a nice little lap to run too, although the wet cobbles are very slippery.

5142de7adbce508203bb2f62edec25e1.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here