Page 952 of 986 FirstFirst ... 452852902942949950951952953954955962 ... LastLast
Results 9,511 to 9,520 of 9856

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not even up Mount Caborn or Castle Hill today then ??
    I don't know how ANYONE manages to run up those bad boys! I know it's all down to the training, etc – but the guys that manage it must be something else.

Well done to everyone else this weekend – just catching up with the thread and there seem some great performances.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
      That would be a great time. Good luck.

I did my first ever 22 miles today. 3-36-45. Felt good but not sure how my legs are going to cope with another 4 miles.
      The last 4 miles will be a doddle as the adrenaline and crowd get you through it
      Don't panic and enjoy the whole day
      My thinking is it's like sightseeing on legs on marathon day
      Punxsatawney Phil Curious Orange's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by big nuts View Post
      I doff my cap. Sensational time. You may hold the Nsc HM record based on that. Although Pembury is always up there.
      I wouldn't know about that, I reckon one of the less chatty members has probably gone quicker. I'm not sure whether @Pembury is that bothered about half marathons, they are quite short after all... that's why I do 'em - 'cos I'm lazy!!
      Last edited by Curious Orange; 13-03-2017 at 09:39.
      When Steve McQueen met The Blob, he tried to kill it. It probably never crossed his mind to try and take it out to a restaurant.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Curious Orange View Post
      I wouldn't know about that, I reckon one of the less chatty members has probably gone quicker. I'm not sure whether @Pembury is that bothered about half marathons, they are quite short after all... that's why I do 'em - 'cos I'm lazy!!
      Well the Brighton one was (quite short) by all accounts...

1 Not allowed!
      I dunno know, I like any distance really. Give me a nice zippy 5 or 10k and I'm happy. Which does remind me I need to fit a Park run in soon to see where I am.. been putting it off!
      @Curious Orange You're only lazy if your not blowing out of your ar*e at the beginning, middle or end! well at least that's my thinking!
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      With the Limassol marathon next Sunday I had a more relaxing weekend. Spin class Saturday morning and then a 10 miler on Sunday at just over my planned marathon pace.

10.1 miles @ 9.50 on the worth way. The route was very busy with runners, you can tell marathon season is about to start!

I think I am ready for Sunday, my only concern is the warm forecast, average temps are about 13/4 this time of the year but forecast to be that temp at 7am (start time) and rising to 20C by midday. They will be providing wet sponges at most drink stations!
      Mark R
      England Away For all my England match reports and quite a few pictures!!
      Chrissy Hughton Fanboy Guinness Boy's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      The rain held off for the start of the Surrey Half today... then pelted it down for five minutes a mile in. Perfect running weather then, and I smashed my sub-1:30 target. The finish clock read 1:25:31 as I crossed the line, and my chip time was 1:25:24.6... think I might retire!
      Sensational time, well done!
      Brighton But Only At Home

It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.

1 Not allowed!
      So I ran the Bath Half Marathon yesterday.

after some very decent training runs I was left slightly disappointed but ready to kick on for the next one - maybe Tewksbury or Bristol/Cheltenham later in the year.

I did 1.41.12. Not happy with my race discipline, at mile 7 I was running at 7.24 which was far faster than I wanted to. Just went out too fast for the second time and wouldn't have had that kick that I wanted at mile 11.

also (this time not my fault) I literally stopped completely at mile 11 for an Ambulance!! so frustrating and although what I said previously I wouldn't have had that final kick this made starting again tricky.

so a few questions to the experienced runners out there!

just how to you ignore others and run your own race - especially at the start?
      should you run the distance before? I ran 13.1 miles 10 days before.
      at the end I felt fine cardio wise but fairly dizzy - this leaves me confused as to whether I left some out there or not...

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by patchamalbion View Post

after some very decent training runs I was left slightly disappointed but ready to kick on for the next one - maybe Tewksbury or Bristol/Cheltenham later in the year.

I did 1.41.12. Not happy with my race discipline, at mile 7 I was running at 7.24 which was far faster than I wanted to. Just went out too fast for the second time and wouldn't have had that kick that I wanted at mile 11.

also (this time not my fault) I literally stopped completely at mile 11 for an Ambulance!! so frustrating and although what I said previously I wouldn't have had that final kick this made starting again tricky.

at the end I felt fine cardio wise but fairly dizzy - this leaves me confused as to whether I left some out there or not...

First things first, 1.41 is still a decent time, so well done.

In answer to your questions, in my limited experience, I would say:

1) Try and stick with a pacer. If there is no pacer there, try and find someone who appears to be doing a similar pace to what you want to achieve. It's SO hard to do, and I rarely manage it, but it IS possible. The other thing is maybe start nearer the back of the field so you are in amongst slower runners, but ones that you are able to get through once the pack thins out a bit.
      2) I don't think it's essential to run the full distance, but a lot of people like to just to know they can get around the course. I probably wouldn't do it that close to race day – certainly not at anywhere near to race pace.
      3) Might be dehydration? I find I recover (as in getting my breath back, etc) really quickly after shorter distance races), but can feel a bit faint/lightheaded/knackered.

Good luck!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by patchamalbion View Post

Are you a regular half marathon runner ?
      If so the distance shouldn't leave you dizzy etc unless you were dehydrated or hadn't fuelled properly before the race
      You will always go quicker in a race as the crowd etc and adrenaline kicks in
      (I planned to run London marathon at 9.30 pace but ran it at 8.45 pace !!)
      Plus if you train alone all the time your natural instinct is to catch the runner in front of you everytime ( that's your sub conscious for you)
      Shouldn't make any difference running that distance only 10 days before as plenty of recovery time in there as well