Page 1059 of 1094 FirstFirst ... 595599591009104910561057105810591060106110621069 ... LastLast
Results 10,581 to 10,590 of 10933

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeping The Dream Alive. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    *Novice alert*

Been for a couple of runs for the first time in a (very) long time recently. I haven't explicitly timed them, but have run for around 20 minutes at a steady pace just to ease myself in as it were.

I think I'd like to work towards doing 5ks, and would like to set myself targets but I'm not really sure what I should be looking at. Could anyone kindly suggest some reasonable targets? I'm in mid 20s, play a bit of football and cricket, have an average build and I'd be keen to do a couple of practice runs a week. A quick google suggests it's pretty subjective so any help is appreciated!

PS - quite fascinating to read the last few pages to see what you guys have got going on, seems a pretty sound NSC sub-community.
    Welcome to this little crazy (sometimes) corner of NSC. I love it here and there are some great like-minded people who get involved and you'll ALWAYS be sure to get an answer to your question. With that in mind, I'll kick off and say first off well done for getting back out there. Running 20 minutes from nothing is good going – any idea what sort of distance that is? I'll be the first – but not only – one to suggest using parkrun as the focus of your 5k goal. Great mix of runners, really supportive and plenty to choose from around these parts – every Saturday at 9am. In terms of targets, I guess it is dependant on your build, weight, height, etc. There are guys on here posting 5k times I could only dream of, but that's the beauty of running – everyone has their own goals.

Other than that, when I first started running I would just run slightly bigger loops every time, so I was out for longer and spending more time on my feet. Nowadays I would suggest mixing it up with hills and speedwork, which will help your fitness and help you reach targets in order to set new ones. There is probably everything you need around this area – hills, long flat stretches along the seafront, countless running clubs, track availability and the downs if you fancy getting into trails.

Good luck

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bobkin View Post
      Welcome to this little crazy (sometimes) corner of NSC. I love it here and there are some great like-minded people who get involved and you'll ALWAYS be sure to get an answer to your question. With that in mind, I'll kick off and say first off well done for getting back out there. Running 20 minutes from nothing is good going any idea what sort of distance that is? I'll be the first but not only one to suggest using parkrun as the focus of your 5k goal. Great mix of runners, really supportive and plenty to choose from around these parts every Saturday at 9am. In terms of targets, I guess it is dependant on your build, weight, height, etc. There are guys on here posting 5k times I could only dream of, but that's the beauty of running everyone has their own goals.

Other than that, when I first started running I would just run slightly bigger loops every time, so I was out for longer and spending more time on my feet. Nowadays I would suggest mixing it up with hills and speedwork, which will help your fitness and help you reach targets in order to set new ones. There is probably everything you need around this area hills, long flat stretches along the seafront, countless running clubs, track availability and the downs if you fancy getting into trails.

Good luck
      Can't add much to this really helpful response, but you might want to check how far you are running. You can either do this by investing is some technology (but that will come when you are truly hooked) or visit a website such as the one pasted below. This will also give you some ideas for new training runs. (When most of us start running we tend to over-estimate the distances we cover!)
      https://gb.mapometer.com/

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bobkin View Post
      Welcome to this little crazy (sometimes) corner of NSC. I love it here and there are some great like-minded people who get involved and you'll ALWAYS be sure to get an answer to your question. With that in mind, I'll kick off and say first off well done for getting back out there. Running 20 minutes from nothing is good going any idea what sort of distance that is? I'll be the first but not only one to suggest using parkrun as the focus of your 5k goal. Great mix of runners, really supportive and plenty to choose from around these parts every Saturday at 9am. In terms of targets, I guess it is dependant on your build, weight, height, etc. There are guys on here posting 5k times I could only dream of, but that's the beauty of running everyone has their own goals.

Other than that, when I first started running I would just run slightly bigger loops every time, so I was out for longer and spending more time on my feet. Nowadays I would suggest mixing it up with hills and speedwork, which will help your fitness and help you reach targets in order to set new ones. There is probably everything you need around this area hills, long flat stretches along the seafront, countless running clubs, track availability and the downs if you fancy getting into trails.

Good luck
      Yep, all of that ! Welcome to NSC's friendliest, most helpful thread

Parkrun is 100% a great pace to start working towards the next level - and you're already capable of doing it. Worst that can happen ? If you start off to fast and blow up (loads of us do that after years of running ) walk a bit (no-one will judge you, parkun is 100% supportive, and you'll be absolutely nowhere near the back anyway) until you've got your breath back.

Register on the parkrun uk website, get your barcode printed off (and keep it dry) and give one of the local ones a go (there are several, and chances are if you're around Brighton someone on here will be there and happy to say hello, just post your plans on here). As @Greg Bobkin says the range of times just on here is huge, but the events themselves will see anything from 15 mins-odd to almost an hour sometimes.

Introducing some variation to your training is also spot on......faster intervals, hill repetitions, tempo runs, slow & easy runs etc etc. You'll soon be hooked, joining a club, entering races and planning stuff in no time.
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      *Novice alert*

Been for a couple of runs for the first time in a (very) long time recently. I haven't explicitly timed them, but have run for around 20 minutes at a steady pace just to ease myself in as it were.

I think I'd like to work towards doing 5ks, and would like to set myself targets but I'm not really sure what I should be looking at. Could anyone kindly suggest some reasonable targets? I'm in mid 20s, play a bit of football and cricket, have an average build and I'd be keen to do a couple of practice runs a week. A quick google suggests it's pretty subjective so any help is appreciated!

PS - quite fascinating to read the last few pages to see what you guys have got going on, seems a pretty sound NSC sub-community.
      Agree with all advice above. If you can get to a Parkrun run along and enjoy it. You then have a bench mark to work out your pace and stamina at the run in. It increases your time having people to run 'alongside with'.

Otherwise you can measure a course with a bike odometer or Hove seafront has some old km markers put in by the council 10 years back. Enjoy your running. Any initial aches and pains stretch or rest out. Even at your age you need to adapt to a new regime.
      Naming Rights

3 Not allowed!
      Thank you all for the feedback.

I'm going to do a 5k on my own before I do a Park Run just to see what sort of time I could be looking at. I'm sure I'll be back to report how it went before looking for more advice!
      Oh, so you've highlighted.
      Hello, how are you.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Thank you all for the feedback.

I'm going to do a 5k on my own before I do a Park Run just to see what sort of time I could be looking at. I'm sure I'll be back to report how it went before looking for more advice!
      Another welcome from me. All great advice above.

You can also down load free apps to use on your phone Strava, Runtastic for example. Not 100% accurate but good enough.

Really don't worry about just giving parkrun a go. All abilities participate and are welcome, some people alternate walking and running, some walk all the way. Hove Prom in particular encourage walk/jogging groups.

I'll be at Hove Park Saturday if you want to give it a go - or just turn up and run anonymously!
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simgull View Post
      Another welcome from me. All great advice above.

You can also down load free apps to use on your phone Strava, Runtastic for example. Not 100% accurate but good enough.

Really don't worry about just giving parkrun a go. All abilities participate and are welcome, some people alternate walking and running, some walk all the way. Hove Prom in particular encourage walk/jogging groups.

I'll be at Hove Park Saturday if you want to give it a go - or just turn up and run anonymously!
      You are the Wealdstone Raider.
      I hope to be back at Hove Park in 8 days time. My self imposed exile is almost over. I'm chomping at the bit to return to the leafy, shady paths next to our ancestral heartland. 99 tomorrow away. Then I'll be giving it a go indeed. I reckon that on our different paths to recovery I'm now only 10-20 seconds behind you. I'll be attempting to narrow that gap as we get nearer the first target of @Greg Bobkin.
      I relish the all inclusive, non competitive allure of Parkrun!
      Last edited by knocky1; 30-06-2017 at 08:49.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by knocky1 View Post
      You are the Wealdstone Raider.
      I hope to be back at Hove Park in 8 days time. My self imposed exile is almost over. I'm chomping at the bit to return to the leafy, shady paths next to our ancestral heartland. 99 tomorrow away. Then I'll be giving it a go indeed. I reckon that on our different paths to recovery I'm now only 10-20 seconds behind you. I'll be attempting to narrow that gap as we get nearer the first target of @Greg Bobkin.
      I relish the all inclusive, non competitive allure of Parkrun!
      Did you want some? And by the way you certainly ain't got no fans (double negative alert!)

All set for a joint 100th/150th Parkrun party on the 8th then.

4 Not allowed!
      Am currently halfway through the couch to 5K programme. The start literally being the couch. Have to say as someone not really used to keeping up an exercise regime I have found it useful. Four weeks in i'd say I am feeling the benefits and have now invested in some reasonable running shoes to help me on my way. I can't say I am totally enjoying it at the moment but feeling good afterwards is mightily addictive.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Hotchilidog View Post
      Am currently halfway through the couch to 5K programme. The start literally being the couch. Have to say as someone not really used to keeping up an exercise regime I have found it useful. Four weeks in i'd say I am feeling the benefits and have now invested in some reasonable running shoes to help me on my way. I can't say I am totally enjoying it at the moment but feeling good afterwards is mightily addictive.
      Well done. Keep at it when you don't want to.. That's the benefit of following a plan. Ticking off the days and being able to look back to see the accumulation and effort put in and to look ahead at the plan to the final objective of the 5K. Then you can have a little rest and start another plan!