Page 1057 of 1146 FirstFirst ... 5755795710071047105410551056105710581059106010671107 ... LastLast
Results 10,561 to 10,570 of 11457
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by big nuts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm terrible at pacing long runs. I just can't maintain discipline to run to plan. I've run some cracking long training runs where I've pushed myself to the limit but made the distance. But quite often fell short of the distance target which defeats the purpose of a long run.

I've found running with someone a bit slower is the key to pacing longer runs.
    I too have to confess to being a shocker at this. I've always really disliked longer runs (= for me anything over 1 hour) and I'm sure it's something to do with trying to run them too fast. This could be down to ego and/or total incompetence.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simgull View Post
      22:39 at Hove Park - another 14 seconds back towards full fitness and felt pretty good - certainly better than Wednesdays effort.
      That's on the back of Kraftwerk in London Thursday, a boozy lunch on Friday and Thurston Moore plus beers last night.

Quick catch up With @Ninja Elephant and @benElton'sBrother afterwards. [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin - it seems you have been out faithfulled by @BEB as far as Hove Park is concerned!
      It's all going wrong - six seconds outside my pacing time yesterday too

Lovely run today - riverbank, Truleigh and back down through Southwick.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by poidy View Post
      Thoroughly enjoyable 7.5 miles this morning. It's amazing how much more enjoyable running is when you stop trying to achieve a certain pace. For years I've ran too quickly for my ability. Might be good for your fitness levels but completely unsustainable over longer distances and too painful for it to be enjoyable. A steady 8 minute mile pace today and it was a breeze and the most I've enjoyed it for a long time.

Still early doors so it is taking some discipline maintaining my 'conversational' pace without turning on the after burners. But if I keep it up I feel the world is my oyster in terms of distance, with a marathon more than achievable.

Has anyone else had the same battles with pacing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Absolutely. Very difficult - I have a kind of latent running pace that I tend to drift to almost regardless of distance so have to really concentrate. It's really important from a training perspective to get it right though. For example most marathon training long runs should be at least a minute a mile slower than intended marathon pace.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      Absolutely. Very difficult - I have a kind of latent running pace that I tend to drift to almost regardless of distance so have to really concentrate. It's really important from a training perspective to get it right though. For example most marathon training long runs should be at least a minute a mile slower than intended marathon pace.

Having just moved to marathon distance I have struggled with that last point but I think I am there now.

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by m20gull View Post
      Having just moved to marathon distance I have struggled with that last point but I think I am there now.
      I still haven't.....get regular bollockings from my coach chap for doing slow runs too fast, and still manage to cock up most of my races by starting too fast. If I was a novice it'd be more acceptable but I've done 50 odd marathons. I think I'm stupid.

"Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post

I reversed the practice run strategy by training quicker than marathon pace. My thinking being it will feel very comfortable on race day and I won't fatigue in the last 10k.

I've run three very good marathons running this way but would like to compare this against the more traditional mindset of training slower.

It also makes long runs far more enjoyable!
      The Designated Survivor Ninja Elephant's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      I still find pacing yourself to be the hardest thing to do, my best ever race was the Worthing Half Marathon in February. I went into it with no expectations other than to run it, enjoy it and see how I get on. In the end, I ran quicker each mile for the first 8/9 and then leveled off quite nicely and finished with a strong half mile almost sprint. The whole thing felt smashing, and that was starting from the back of the field and only being passed twice in the whole course (once by a guy who'd stopped briefly for a quick tinkle before resuming his pace). Psychologically, I think starting from the back and overtaking so many in a controlled way worked well for me whereas I felt I ran the Brighton Half on a month later with far worse pacing, because I believed I could run a 1:30 which I wasn't really ready for as a target.

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Elephant View Post
      I still find pacing yourself to be the hardest thing to do, my best ever race was the Worthing Half Marathon in February. I went into it with no expectations other than to run it, enjoy it and see how I get on. In the end, I ran quicker each mile for the first 8/9 and then leveled off quite nicely and finished with a strong half mile almost sprint. The whole thing felt smashing, and that was starting from the back of the field and only being passed twice in the whole course (once by a guy who'd stopped briefly for a quick tinkle before resuming his pace). Psychologically, I think starting from the back and overtaking so many in a controlled way worked well for me whereas I felt I ran the Brighton Half on a month later with far worse pacing, because I believed I could run a 1:30 which I wasn't really ready for as a target.
      I used to be obsessed with times and hitting 7:30 minute mile pace, which for me is too quick over longer distances. It's recently dawned on me that the rare occasions where I've experienced the runners high, is when I've approached a run in a controlled 8 minute mile manner.

Not only is this more enjoyable but I also have the 7:30 minute mile pace in my back pocket for the latter part of a run if I so desire.

Dickinson Looking for Crofts.....Its in the bag for Brighton!!!!!
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      The pacing and long slow runs debate is interesting to me.Since April I've been limited by Achilles issue to 11 runs 8 being Parkruns. Every week I had a sizeable decrease in time (bar Bevendean). Regardless of finish time each needed the same effort.
      So a great return to 85% of my capability at 5k level with only 4 hours total running in 10 weeks. I put this down to the long recovery time between runs.
      The problem is I could not run over 5k at anywhere near that pace and I have entered the Phoenix 10k as I could not resist a beer in the Brunswick afterwards with NSC's finest. Pacing will have to be 8:30 to 8:45 up to the turn and then dream of 7:30 pace for the last 5k. My lack of training will catch me out! Looking forward to the challenge though.

Hove Promenade parkrun 17/06/2017 22:52 68.37%
      Worthing 10/06/2017 23:11 67.43%
      Eastbourne parkrun 03/06/2017 23:26 66.71%
      Bevendean Down parkrun 27/05/2017 26:12 59.67%
      Peacehaven parkrun 20/05/2017 24:19 64.29%
      Brighton & Hove parkrun 13/05/2017 27:02 57.83%
      Brighton & Hove parkrun 06/05/2017 33:37 46.50%
      Brighton & Hove parkrun 29/04/2017 37:13 42.01%

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by knocky1 View Post
      The pacing and long slow runs debate is interesting to me.Since April I've been limited by Achilles issue to 11 runs 8 being Parkruns. Every week I had a sizeable decrease in time (bar Bevendean). Regardless of finish time each needed the same effort.
      So a great return to 85% of my capability at 5k level with only 4 hours total running in 10 weeks. I put this down to the long recovery time between runs.
      The problem is I could not run over 5k at anywhere near that pace and I have entered the Phoenix 10k as I could not resist a beer in the Brunswick afterwards with NSC's finest. Pacing will have to be 8:30 to 8:45 up to the turn and then dream of 7:30 pace for the last 5k. My lack of training will catch me out! Looking forward to the challenge though.

Hove Promenade parkrun17/06/201722:5268.37%
      Worthing 10/06/2017 23:11 67.43%
      Eastbourne parkrun03/06/201723:2666.71%
      Bevendean Down parkrun 27/05/201726:1259.67%
      Peacehaven parkrun20/05/201724:1964.29%
      Brighton & Hove parkrun13/05/201727:0257.83%
      Brighton & Hove parkrun06/05/201733:3746.50%
      Brighton & Hove parkrun29/04/201737:1342.01%
      If you can run 5K in 22:52, you should have plenty left in the lungs running the first half of a 10K at 8.30 minute miles.

It'll be your legs that let you down if you haven't run over 3 miles in a while.

Dickinson Looking for Crofts.....Its in the bag for Brighton!!!!!