Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I didn’t use either and went out fully loaded. Came home 10 minutes quicker than my target time and ran straight to the porta loo at the finish. All muscles were stretched that day :lolol:

Blimey, that’s courageous! It would end in tears if I tried that

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Anyone waddle today? I roused myself from my malcontent inertia for a 20k between Hove and Shoreham and oy vey, it was hard. First weekend of January's gotta be the worst weekend to run.

Highlight was seeing The History Man and exchanging a yelp

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I drove to Norwich and back this weekend, testing both my newly acquired car and my newly acquired driving skill! I got home after dark today and decided not to go out for a long run but to limit my week to 25 miles, and then gradually build from here. I don't want to burn myself out ahead of the Worthing Half ding-dong with the Big fella. My workplace gym re-opens after a month long refit tomorrow, so I shall begin training fully. I have my plan, it's time to make it happen!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Anyone waddle today? I roused myself from my malcontent inertia for a 20k between Hove and Shoreham and oy vey, it was hard. First weekend of January's gotta be the worst weekend to run.

Highlight was seeing The History Man and exchanging a yelp

Did about 12 miles from Housedean (A27 layby), up Castle Hill, along to Breaky Bottom, up the Yellow Brick Road at Rodmell (on the SDW) and back down to the car. Hilly, muddy and windy as hell up there. Almost 3,000ft of elevation in total. Grim !

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Well done on your 2017 running achievement. Lot more than couch to 5k.
First never run with nurofen or any pain killer. It screws up your insides (I've forgotten how) and masks signs of injury from your brain.
I may be able to save you £40 on this one. Lie flat on floor. Hand under ankle and bring heel up to touch bum. Make sure you engage your core (stomach). The stretch is felt in the quads (thighs). Hold for 10 seconds. Do both sides. Abort immediately, if any pain. Warm up gently first.
If this works buy me a pint. If not ring Coral's Gym Hove Greyhound Stadium and try and book Paul Godley. Jesus will either fix it in one visit or tell you what it is.

Don't run through it unless you've been told that's ok. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, will give the exercises a try and hope a pint remuneration is what's needed.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
... decided not to go out for a long run but to limit my week to 25 miles, and then gradually build from here. I don't want to burn myself out ahead of the Worthing Half ding-dong with the Big fella. My workplace gym re-opens after a month long refit tomorrow, so I shall begin training fully. I have my plan, it's time to make it happen!

Interesting, I'm just about to embark on week two of my FIRST derived plan, and that will work out at about 25 miles too.

The FIRST plan has three runs (long/intervals/tempo) and two 40 minute cross-training sessions per week, which suits me fine. So far cross-training has consisted of watching tv whilst riding an excercise bike, but hopefully I can start getting back in the pool soon as I find swimming very relaxing.

I'll also be running free for a little while as the watch has now gone off to be mended, so no Strava stats for me!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
11 miles for me today including woodland drive and for the first time Peacock Lane/Surrenden up to Ditchling Road - that is a brute of a climb. Legs felt pretty tired after yesterday’s exertions but all good in the end. Time for a rest day tomorrow I think.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hillyish 9 miler for me yesterday. Biggest problem for me is calories. I can't get enough and continue to burn them as I sleep.
Breakfast this morning was followed at 9:45am by a huge bowl of linguine, tuna, garlic, olive oil, olives and Parmesan. I'm still hungry.
Best part about running!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
25k for me yesterday from the marina no Newhaven and back all along the off road section near the cliff face.

Scenic run with sea views on a lovely clear day.

I ran with people from the Brighton Tri Club. Around 20 of us set off at different paces with the base being Black Rock car park. It costs a £1 but they lay on teas, coffees and snacks free of charge.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I seemed to have lost my running mojo over the last couple of months (if anyone find it let me know). ParkRun are all I'm doing right now which is just keeping me ticking over until, hopefully things return to normal.
Made a last minute decision to do Bevingdean yesterday ... That hill was tough! , it was very muddy and I wasn't expecting to dodge cows!
Time was awful, but I scraped a top 10 finish so that gave me a boost even though there was only a field of 25.
Toughest ParkRun I've done... Will wait till the spring before trying it again.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear this – I've been there and once it naturally came back while on a run and another time I almost had to force myself out there! Good luck getting the mojo back – it WILL happen...

Some questions for early morning runners:
Do you warm up before starting your run? And if so how?

Nope. Never warm up.

Do you eat/drink before setting off?

Nope. Nothing.

How long is it between getting up and leaving for your run?

Anything between five minutes and 30 minutes.

And the killer question..
Do you have to do a “proper number 2’ before setting off?

Yes. Always – sometimes I have to go twice! I nearly got caught short once so I never make the same mistake again...

Thanks

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Never run with one in the chamber

runner.jpg

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
11 miles for me today including woodland drive and for the first time Peacock Lane/Surrenden up to Ditchling Road - that is a brute of a climb. Legs felt pretty tired after yesterday’s exertions but all good in the end. Time for a rest day tomorrow I think.

Woodland Drive is my barometer of fitness. Been on my arse for about three months with a baby so made a concious decision to put running on the back burner for a while as there just isn't the time with work and all. Going to get back into it at the end of the month and plan to make a Woodland Drive pb attempt at the end of March.

The hill from Preston Park southern end up Standford Avenue to Hollingbury golf course in a good one too.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
First week of marathon training done. I can safely say Saturday was the coldest weather I've ever run in. -20C with a windchill making it feel like -35C. It certainly hardens you up!

Longest run of 13K yesterday, easing myself in to the distance runs. I'm going to enjoy this a lot more than the Brighton Marathon training from 2011. Going out with running groups for some of the runs really helps.

On the number 2 debate. I don't go by default, but if I feel like there's any chance of a poo arriving in the next couple of hours I'll make sure I curl one out before running.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I seemed to have lost my running mojo over the last couple of months (if anyone find it let me know). ParkRun are all I'm doing right now which is just keeping me ticking over until, hopefully things return to normal.
Made a last minute decision to do Bevingdean yesterday ... That hill was tough! , it was very muddy and I wasn't expecting to dodge cows!
Time was awful, but I scraped a top 10 finish so that gave me a boost even though there was only a field of 25.
Toughest ParkRun I've done... Will wait till the spring before trying it again.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry to hear that fella, you did come across a bit down after Preston Park whenever that one was! 30th December maybe?!

I think that the running mojo comes and goes, I wouldn't worry about it too much - but try to keep something going so that when your mojo bounces back, you don't injure yourself in your keenness to get back on the horse. I found my mojo was pretty solid throughout last year because I had the constant goals I was attacking, but the previous year was my least running activity I think, the mojo dipped here and there because I'd reached a comfort zone. Last year I re-focused and that was the key.

In terms of running whilst needing to drop some kids off at the pool, I've only been caught out three times and had to deface the ground, it's not pleasant. One of them was a particularly hot summers morning, before 6am. That one was an absolute nightmare, but it came out of nowhere. The combination of running and heat generally tends to cook my guts much quicker! Most parkruns are run within about 30 minutes of my waking up, so there's not generally time to take care of business pre-run.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
In terms of running whilst needing to drop some kids off at the pool, I've only been caught out three times and had to deface the ground, it's not pleasant. One of them was a particularly hot summers morning, before 6am. That one was an absolute nightmare, but it came out of nowhere. The combination of running and heat generally tends to cook my guts much quicker! Most parkruns are run within about 30 minutes of my waking up, so there's not generally time to take care of business pre-run.

Anyone else wonder what Ninja was on about at the start? Yeh, you can get hit with no warning (thanks Hove Rec clubhouse and Greenleas woods) and it unnerves you to the point that you get obsessed about evacuating before a run.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
This low winter sun is beautiful but difficult to run into. I think enough years have gone by since William Hague donned his infamous Baseball cap, for me to be able to wear one without being mistaken for him. So NSC runners help please..............

Any recommendations for a running baseball cap? It needs to have a good peak at the front, a sweatband to keep my eyes dry, have good ventilation and not make me look like William Hague.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
This low winter sun is beautiful but difficult to run into. I think enough years have gone by since William Hague donned his infamous Baseball cap, for me to be able to wear one without being mistaken for him. So NSC runners help please..............

Any recommendations for a running baseball cap? It needs to have a good peak at the front, a sweatband to keep my eyes dry, have good ventilation and not make me look like William Hague.

I’d try Snow and Rock in the Lanes - they have a stand of hats, gloves etc - about the best selection I’ve seen other than at pre-Marathon expos

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here