Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
My carb loading entails having a full English breakfast this morning and tomorrow morning and pizza tomorrow night
Small bowl of cereal and bit of toast on race morning
Energy drink and gels every three miles (30 mins)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've never been one for carb loading. In fact the only marathon where I really stuck to a training plan – including carb loading the week before*– was my first one in London 2003 and I ran 4:36, which is my slowest road marathon time!

Because I run at a silly time in the morning, there's no WAY I'm eating anything resembling breakfast, but I sometimes bend that rule on race day where the KO is 10/11AM. Fueling on the way around is more important, I reckon. Gels, water, that kind of thing (anything you can get your hands on at Beachy!) – especially water on Sunday, if it's going to be like this. I fell apart on a long training run before IOW marathon in similar conditions and at a similar time of day. Had to stop about four times along the seafront before eventually calling it a day at Hove Lagoon.

But I digress, [MENTION=20655]Shorehamkid[/MENTION] – you're first race sounds like me in 2013 at Brighton, when I really struggled by the Power Station, but somehow managed to get in at 3:57. To be honest, I would just keep doing what you're doing, don't introduce anything new and have confidence in the training you've done so far – I'm sure it'll be fine.

The 'wall' is just something I expect to happen to me on every marathon, or at least have to walk some of the way. But by that point, I'm normally nearly home and fairly happy (I'm not including Moyleman here...).

Good luck.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Can I ask the more experienced amongst you about carbo loading? This will be my 2nd marathon and last time I slammed into the wall at about 18 miles, obviously I survived to tell the tale and hung on to break 4 hours but there's no way I want to go through that again! Anyhow, I've learned from the first experience and trained harder/smarter this time round, but just conscious to get my pre-race eating correct. Done plenty of research online and had a 'practice' load a few weeks back before a long training run, but I think there is no substitute for asking people direct. I guess it's too late in the day for me to change my plans (should've posted earlier), but was just wondering how you guys approach the few days before with your eating, drinking, resting and sleeping?

Good luck to all running the 10k or the marathon.
Most 'running' experts will say carb loading is advisable the day before a marathon. I tend to increase my carbs the day before, grazing at them, rather than stuffing them in, in one go. Works for me but it is horses for courses, what works for one won't work for another. I went years ending up like you until one year I decided to practice my 'grazing' day before the long runs in training. I sipped fruit juice, added yogurts, raisons and bagels the day before in my snacks, had sensibly balanced meals and hey presto. Did it twice, worked a treat, 21 min PB. But it might not work for everyone.

Good luck.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Good luck everyone on Sunday!

I spent today handing out race packs at the event village. It was great to feel all the excitement building in the participants,

I'll be watching from the Nick Rivett shop on Chirch Road in Hove with the TRS lot. I'll have the BHA flag waving every time someone in stripes goes past - shout hello!

It's going to be warm so hydrating and staying hydrated is going to be all important- also consider wearing a hat to keep the sun off your head and it avoids needing sun cream on your forehead which will run into your eyes.

You're on your way, you're on your way!

GypsyKing

Feb 4, 2013
Some questions for the more experienced runners if I may...

1. How much effect would u anticipate the forecast warmer weather to have on performance?
2. Would u prepare or do anything differently in light of it?
3. How easy is to access the gels and water being handed out on the course?

TIA

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
1. Probably depends on the individual. Personally I don't think it will be too bad, there's a gentle on shore breeze which will help keep you cool and quite long sections on say New Church Road and South Basin Road where you can keep in the shade

2. Hydrate hydrate hydrate. Before and during. Wear sun screen and a hat. If you brun easily consider a t shirt style running top rather than a vest top

3, lots of water - it will be in cups. Take cup, squeeze top together to make a spout and drink slowly and keep breathing. I would definitely carry your own gels - you should know what type you like by now. Lots of people will be handing out jelly babies and orange segments too.

Have a great run

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Good luck all you Marathon runners. I felt a bit of a fraud joining the 10k queue.

Very tempted to get the early price for 2018 entries tomorrow.

Hydration rather than carb overload the key.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

1. How much effect would u anticipate the forecast warmer weather to have on performance?

TIA
1. Slow down a bit
2. Drink more
3. Very, but I'll carry a small handheld softflask as well as I hate being even 5 mins from water when I need it. It's in cups, so bear in mind the distance between stations

TIA

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The marathon goes past mine (near lagoon) so if anyone needs anything, whether it's handing over food or drink or dumping your stuff, feel free to give me a shout. Good luck to all - you are heroes

Good one. I wouldn't mind a bacon sandwich around 8am. I'm just up from the surf shop/M&S Petrol station......but not running.
Great point you make about helpers and volunteers. My neighbour volunteers every year. She has to sign up at 6.30am on Sunday and then be around the Peace Statue until 4pm. Here's to all volunteers.

Now for the nitty gritty. Are you in next year? Do it. You'll get a great time. I'll supply food and drink.

GypsyKing

Feb 4, 2013
Thanks Simgull and Dazzer for the feedback/advice. Being my first organised running event of any sort I'm naturally starting 2 feel a little nervous and the weather being as it's forecast was not something I had anticipated!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Good one. I wouldn't mind a bacon sandwich around 8am. I'm just up from the surf shop/M&S Petrol station......but not running.
Great point you make about helpers and volunteers. My neighbour volunteers every year. She has to sign up at 6.30am on Sunday and then be around the Peace Statue until 4pm. Here's to all volunteers.

Now for the nitty gritty. Are you in next year? Do it. You'll get a great time. I'll supply food and drink.

Rather put my nads in a blender. 10ks and halves all the way. Will gladly make you a sarnie if you're in the vicinity.

I'm also reporting on the run tomorrow so if anyone fancies a quick chat about how they're feeling or how they find it, gimme a shout.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Rather put my nads in a blender. 10ks and halves all the way. Will gladly make you a sarnie if you're in the vicinity.

I'm also reporting on the run tomorrow so if anyone fancies a quick chat about how they're feeling or how they find it, gimme a shout.

One of my old man regrets is that I never ran a marathon until 52 years old. Never been able to give it a decent shot.
Post a link to your report it will be good to read it.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Placed 5th at Hotham parkrun, my watch says 19 minutes dead so I wait with baited breath (over a BUTLINS full ENGLISH) for the official result.

Hotham is markedly different from Guildford - flat, four laps, and lots of overtaking backmarkers!

Good luck to everyone doing Brighton Marathon tomorrow!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Placed 5th at Hotham parkrun, my watch says 19 minutes dead so I wait with baited breath (over a BUTLINS full ENGLISH) for the official result.

Hotham is markedly different from Guildford - flat, four laps, and lots of overtaking backmarkers!

Good luck to everyone doing Brighton Marathon tomorrow!

Good luck with that split second going the right way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here