Page 1167 of 1215 FirstFirst ... 16766710671117115711641165116611671168116911701177 ... LastLast
Results 11,661 to 11,670 of 12143

0 Not allowed!
    I don’t mean to hijack, but I have a marathon question too that I would appreciate opinions on from some of our more experienced runners if that’s okay. I’ve been running HM distance (or close to it - usually 18k ish) a couple of times a week for quite a few months, as well as one or two other shorter runs. So I know I’m comfortable at HM distance but, crucially, I’ve never been a step further than 21.1k. Although I’ve never been particularly fussed about running a marathon, I’ve accepted that I might never be in a better position to do it. And who wants to get to the end of their life saying they’ve only ever done a half...

So my question is from my current position (ie fine at HM but untested at anything above that) when could I reasonably expect to be able to run a marathon? I wouldn’t be looking to smash any time targets, but I would only want to do it if I could run the whole way.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Official Running Thread

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Complete Badger View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I donít mean to hijack, but I have a marathon question too that I would appreciate opinions on from some of our more experienced runners if thatís okay. Iíve been running HM distance (or close to it - usually 18k ish) a couple of times a week for quite a few months, as well as one or two other shorter runs. So I know Iím comfortable at HM distance but, crucially, Iíve never been a step further than 21.1k. Although Iíve never been particularly fussed about running a marathon, Iíve accepted that I might never be in a better position to do it. And who wants to get to the end of their life saying theyíve only ever done a half...

So my question is from my current position (ie fine at HM but untested at anything above that) when could I reasonably expect to be able to run a marathon? I wouldnít be looking to smash any time targets, but I would only want to do it if I could run the whole way.
      If youíre not looking at any particular time target I would say something like 8 weeks. Essentially 6 weeks of increasing long runs, adding 1-2 miles each time to a weekly long run would comfortably get you to 20m or so which is enough, then a couple of weeks of tapering down.

A lot of the generic marathon programmes are set at 16 weeks or thereabouts (New Year to April to help the VLMers for example) with a half marathon distance approx half way through so youíre already comfortably at that point. Your aerobic endurance will already be really good from running long distances as much as you are so the step up to a full marathon wonít be too difficult.

You could do it in less with your existing base frankly but 8 weeks would be sensible and less risky from an injury perspective. Remember to run a bit slower than you would for your current distances if going longer, and also think about fuelling - itís easy to run for a couple of hours with no calorie intake, but anything longer you will really need to take something on (whether gels or Ďreal foodí is up to you, experiment on your training runs to see what your stomach can cope with and what works best).
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

1 Not allowed!
      I donít mean to hijack, but I have a marathon question too that I would appreciate opinions on from some of our more experienced runners if thatís okay. Iíve been running HM distance (or close to it - usually 18k ish) a couple of times a week for quite a few months, as well as one or two other shorter runs. So I know Iím comfortable at HM distance but, crucially, Iíve never been a step further than 21.1k. Although Iíve never been particularly fussed about running a marathon, Iíve accepted that I might never be in a better position to do it. And who wants to get to the end of their life saying theyíve only ever done a half...

So my question is from my current position (ie fine at HM but untested at anything above that) when could I reasonably expect to be able to run a marathon? I wouldnít be looking to smash any time targets, but I would only want to do it if I could run the whole way.
      Good advice from Dazzer
      And like you I only done HM and the hardest part was slowing my pace down so not to blow out too soon
      Also finish time wise itís normally double your HM time plus 30 minutes
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      I don’t mean to hijack, but I have a marathon question too that I would appreciate opinions on from some of our more experienced runners if that’s okay. I’ve been running HM distance (or close to it - usually 18k ish) a couple of times a week for quite a few months, as well as one or two other shorter runs. So I know I’m comfortable at HM distance but, crucially, I’ve never been a step further than 21.1k. Although I’ve never been particularly fussed about running a marathon, I’ve accepted that I might never be in a better position to do it. And who wants to get to the end of their life saying they’ve only ever done a half...

So my question is from my current position (ie fine at HM but untested at anything above that) when could I reasonably expect to be able to run a marathon? I wouldn’t be looking to smash any time targets, but I would only want to do it if I could run the whole way.
      Did first one of 5 at 53. Bad My 3:50:19 is not comparable to my other distance pbs run 25 years earlier but GOOD that I beat my triathlon rival's time by 1 second and GOOD that it's the only pb I have an outside chance of bettering.

Get in whilst young. See you there. http://www.brightonmarathonweekend.c...ies-reopening/
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Thanks for the advice guys. Good to see that generally you advise a fairly 'relaxed' attitude to pacing for the long run. My event is on 11th November so have just 2 more Sundays until taper. Am clocking 35 miles in a good week so I guess I'm giving myself a chance. I'm sort of between 'beginner' and 'intermediate' in many of the published schedules. Cheers!
      Punxsatawney Phil Curious Orange's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      My watch recently got updated with some cardio workout things, so I thought I'd try one at lunch, a 50 minute 'endurance' workout. By golly it was hard work, and not in the normal way... keeping your heart rate in specific zones is jolly tricky! The first 5 minutes warm up was... erm... walking pace, followed by a loping trot (mixed with more walking to get the heart rate back down again). I don't think it let me break into an actual jog for about fifteen minutes, and actual running was limited to about five minute bursts.

I was quite relieved when the session ended with me a few of miles away from the office and I could finally open up and RUN back!
      When Steve McQueen met The Blob, he tried to kill it. It probably never crossed his mind to try and take it out to a restaurant.

0 Not allowed!
      Anyone still planning to do the Bevvy Parkrun tomorrow ? Iím still in post-marathon recovery mode so wonít be up to much but might pop along if anyone else is ? Heard they do a good brekkie..........
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      Anyone still planning to do the Bevvy Parkrun tomorrow ? Iím still in post-marathon recovery mode so wonít be up to much but might pop along if anyone else is ? Heard they do a good brekkie..........
      Its not planned till the following Saturday.

I'm around so will come along.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by penny's harmonica View Post
      Its not planned till the following Saturday.

I'm around so will come along.
      Ah thanks......I had it down for this week for some reason. Canít do next week !
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Lurgy attack for me. Probably amble Hove Park as I need to try out the new watch but will pop along if I have a quick overnight recovery.