Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How close are you at the moment a) to sub 20 b) to your 40th Birthday?

If you can stay 39 until the end of May 2015 the Bexhill seafront 5k is your best shot - flat and fast if the wind keeps down:wink:

Just as easy to do Hove parkrun ? Can keep trying too, every week !

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
You gave me this one prior to the Brighton Marathon, I still use it now post run on top of other glute stretches which definitely help IT band issues.

Ran 10k this morning in 45:46 my quickest time yet so looking to go sub 45 for the Brooks 10k in November.

Question for some of our more mature runners, I've read running is different to most sports in that you can improve with age even up towards 50. I'm 35 now so wondered if I can keep improving or does age naturally catch up with you. What's everyone's thoughts?

I'm 55, been running about 12 years, mainly Marathon & Ultra now.

But I got a 5k PB earlier this year, beating my previous one from 2008, also PB'd at 27, 50 & 75 miles this year.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You gave me this one prior to the Brighton Marathon, I still use it now post run on top of other glute stretches which definitely help IT band issues.

Ran 10k this morning in 45:46 my quickest time yet so looking to go sub 45 for the Brooks 10k in November.

Question for some of our more mature runners, I've read running is different to most sports in that you can improve with age even up towards 50. I'm 35 now so wondered if I can keep improving or does age naturally catch up with you. What's everyone's thoughts?

I started running in 2002, and ran London marathon in 4:36. In 2013, aged 35, I ran sub 4 hours at Brighton. Obviously, looking at these two instances alone, there could be a lot of different factors at play, but I feel I can get quicker as I get older. I've also got my eye on a parkrun PB (hopefully sub 20; current one is 20:54) before I'm 40. The trouble is, having got that sub-21 last year, I seem to be going backwards and am stuck at 22:16 at the moment. Very annoying.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'd agree with that. I've been running about 5 years having started when I was about 35, and have only really been getting quicker since I started training for my first half marathon at the back end of last year. I'm homing in on a sub-20 minute time for 5k... but can I get it before I'm 40?!

I would like to go sub 20 I'm around 80 seconds away at present, hopefully by the new year I can get round in that time but 6 minute 40 miles seems incredibly tough, I usually blow out of my arse at 7 minutes.

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
Just as easy to do Hove parkrun ? Can keep trying too, every week !

Fair enough re being able to do it every week (and I'll be at Eastbourne parkrun this week and the next week etc).

The point I was trying (poorly) to make is that IMO Bexhill 5k is the quickest course around so a good chance to achieve a PB.

I haven't run at Hove for a while but given its undulating nature I can't imagine it being faster than the flat prom at Bexhill (more turns too)

But I got a 5k PB earlier this year, beating my previous one from 2008, also PB'd at 27, 50 & 75 miles this year

Bet not many people can say that - pbs at 3.1 miles and 75 miles - top effort:bowdown:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'm 55, been running about 12 years, mainly Marathon & Ultra now.

But I got a 5k PB earlier this year, beating my previous one from 2008, also PB'd at 27, 50 & 75 miles this year.

Highly impressive. Running past a marathon scares the hell out of me, it took me 3 months to recover fully from the Brighton one this year.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Highly impressive. Running past a marathon scares the hell out of me, it took me 3 months to recover fully from the Brighton one this year.

I've had to write off 2014 completely due to injury...not done a single event event and it's been as frustrating as hell after fairly comfortably doing 10 marathons/ultras last year. Have decided only target next year is the SDW100 in June next year.

Re PBs, seems that a lot of runners in my club get quicker through their 40s and even 50s, especially at longer distances, but these are typically runners that only started in their 30s or 40s, and got progressively more serious about it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

The consensus on here seems to be that people starting running in 30's upwards can improve but after 50 it's a different kettle of fish.
For me it has been downhill since I was 12 and beat Steve Ovetts 400m record at Withdean in Brighton & Hove Schools meeting. I had an adult peak at 35 running a 17:45 5k. Then 10 years off lead to 21:30 5k at 45. Then 5 years serious triathlon training led to 19.35 5k at 50. Now at 55 it would be a miracle to go sub 20 and sub 21 seems a sensible target but only running 22 at moment.

So the Brooks 10k I have sub 45 as a target but may be sub 46.

what I Talk about When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami describes the batlle of age by a now 60 year old endurance and marathon runner.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
How close are you at the moment a) to sub 20 b) to your 40th Birthday?

If you can stay 39 until the end of May 2015 the Bexhill seafront 5k is your best shot - flat and fast if the wind keeps down:wink:

a) My best this year, and pb, is 20:20, that was just before my daughter was born and I then had a month or so lay-off from running - my most recent time at the Guildford Park Run (Park Run tourists have frequently been overheard describing the course as 'challenging') was 21:02.
b) 40 in June.

I want to do sub 20 on my "home" course though :)

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Am running Snowdon Marathon on Saturday (purportedly the hardest road marathon in the UK). It will be my 80th full marathon.

The only other time i have missed an Albion home game this season, was against Bolton, (another marathon day), when of course we won.

Might be an omen?

So you get to run UP the Llanberis Pass... good luck with that!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The consensus on here seems to be that people starting running in 30's upwards can improve but after 50 it's a different kettle of fish.
For me it has been downhill since I was 12 and beat Steve Ovetts 400m record at Withdean in Brighton & Hove Schools meeting. I had an adult peak at 35 running a 17:45 5k. Then 10 years off lead to 21:30 5k at 45. Then 5 years serious triathlon training led to 19.35 5k at 50. Now at 55 it would be a miracle to go sub 20 and sub 21 seems a sensible target but only running 22 at moment.

So the Brooks 10k I have sub 45 as a target but may be sub 46.

what I Talk about When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami describes the batlle of age by a now 60 year old endurance and marathon runner.

'Only running 22 at 55'. Respect......

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agreed I'm about bang on Knocky's level and I've got 20 years on him. If I'm hitting sub 45 10k's and sub 21 5's I'll be astounded!

Just over 22 mins for me, although that was at Clair which the parkrun tourists tell me is a minute slower than Hove. Definitely some time I can shave off if I can get injury free (I'm 48 but only started running in my mid 30s)

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Does anyone know anyone who's done the western states?

My plan next year is to do the london 2 brighton run to qualify for the NDW 100 then if I complete that to them apply for western states

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here