Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
On current form that would see me pushing 44 mins, which is possible doable. Might be a bit different by the summer and I might even do a bit of specific training for it. I had six minutes of diagonals this morning, so it's a start!

No worries about Moyleman, I think by close to the finish line I'll be wishing I was in Portugal too!

Don't be so negative. What could be more rewarding than a warm beer in a cold, wet car park after 5 hours or so of mud and hills ?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Don't be so negative. What could be more rewarding than a warm beer in a cold, wet car park after 5 hours or so of mud and hills ?

No negativity here, Dazzer – just realistic. But I'm really looking forward to it – the beer and burger at the end will be the 'carrot', for sure.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] wise but difficult choice to defer BM. You're nowhere near last year's end of January fitness. 2016's machine is not functioning this year, sort out this tendinitis and I'll see you on the start line in 2018.
Although not his fault Paul cannot sort out the tendons linking my Achilles at the moment. Having had nothing but successful 1 session visits for over 12 years find this worrying.
Had a look at your FB and see you know Xavier. He certainly enlivened a party I was at last Summer eating all the vodka jellies (gelatin) for his vegan wife!

Thanks - and thanks for all the other messages everyone. Paul confirmed that I need to pull out of the BM. I COULD limp round in five ish hours but even then not sure of the lasting effects.

So - immediate plans are are to cancel Brighton Half and defer the marathon to 2018. Couple of weeks total rest then short, slow runs and lots of stretching and strengthening. I'm packing up football coaching in April so Park Run looks on the cards from after Easter if I stay pain free.

I need some sort of competitive race to look forward to though so thinking of Worthing 10K in June, just for fun rather than a time, and then maybe Barnes Green Half in Sept. Can't get my head round if I want to do Beachy Head. Looks like a real challenge but it's a couple of days after I come back from an all inclusive holiday and I don't want to enter anything yet that will mean lots of training.

Thanks again for the suggestions and kind comments - I've not quite been able to face running forums for a few days.

Yes I know Xav, his daughter's in the year above my son at school. Good lad & his Mrs is lovely for a vegan :lolol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thanks - and thanks for all the other messages everyone. Paul confirmed that I need to pull out of the BM. I COULD limp round in five ish hours but even then not sure of the lasting effects.

So - immediate plans are are to cancel Brighton Half and defer the marathon to 2018. Couple of weeks total rest then short, slow runs and lots of stretching and strengthening. I'm packing up football coaching in April so Park Run looks on the cards from after Easter if I stay pain free.

I need some sort of competitive race to look forward to though so thinking of Worthing 10K in June, just for fun rather than a time, and then maybe Barnes Green Half in Sept. Can't get my head round if I want to do Beachy Head. Looks like a real challenge but it's a couple of days after I come back from an all inclusive holiday and I don't want to enter anything yet that will mean lots of training.

Thanks again for the suggestions and kind comments - I've not quite been able to face running forums for a few days.

Yes I know Xav, his daughter's in the year above my son at school. Good lad & his Mrs is lovely for a vegan :lolol:

Sorry to hear that GB, but it's probably for the best. The races will always be there and you may well beat yourself up if you tried to limp round the marathon course. What is it they say? 'A DNS is better than a DNF'?

Understand about BH – you've got a while to decide. The great thing is that there are SO many races to choose from these days. I agree about having something to aim for – and it'll be great to see you at parkrun. I don't need to tell you which one you should get down to... Although controversially I *might* be heading to Bevendean tomorrow. Not sure...

Rest up and come back stronger.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Injured runner being sensible alert ! Definitely the right decision mate, get fixed up and go from there. Six months out was my longest gap due to osteitis - it was frustrating but I found the comeback much, much easier after keeping up lower impact cardio work throughout (the elliptical trainer is your friend - can replicate almost any running session on it).

Re Beachy Head, you don't need to think about it as a marathon, more of a jogging picnic. You don't need to be trained to anything like you'd expect to be for a sub 4 Brighton attempt as there will be loads of walking involved (if you want - most do). A few LSRs on the Downs in the lead up and then just enjoy the day out. It's NOTHING like slogging round a road marathon. Do it (or one of the other lovely trail marathons we have in Sussex) [emoji106]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Another injured runner being sensible after being stupid. Had last of three visits to Jesus. Tendon 4" above Achilles still hurting as body moves onto forefoot. Every calf muscle relaxed, all tendon insertion points fine and tendon itself strong, not torn, not ruptured, not inflamed. So should be fine but it isn't.
Not running until it is 100% as don't want to f*** up future trekking holidays.
So cycling, Downs walking, press ups and planking.
Shall I start a thread?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Slightly soggy gentle Parkrun this morning . Still getting over a bad cold, will try to do long slow run tomorrow - three weeks until Brighton half.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Disappointing 21.25 for me at Hove Prom in the pissing rain (lots of pebbles on the prom as well). After a decent month's training was hoping for a bit quicker but have been feeling leggy all week and did a hard 10m Tues, a 6m Michigan run on Thurs and 8m yesterday.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Meant to say if anyone in this thread likes a challenge then get involved in @Forces March.
5 marathons in 5 days starting at Ilfracombe and ending in Bulford
Weds 24th May to Sunday 28th May
You can run it or walk it and enter for a single day or the whole 5 days (like I have !!)
All in aid of @Veterans Charity

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just over 13 miles in just over 2 hrs this morning in the sunshine of Cyprus
Back to UK this evening and running along Tiverton Canal with a head torch on in the evenings now
Well on track for BM tho

Tivvy Canal is nice.....too flat though [emoji23]Often run there when visiting the folks, and in-laws used to live near the golf club so was v easy to get to.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Swapped parkrun for 5k around Croydon ikea today. Started off quite quickly but got very congested in the sofa section and came to a complete halt in the kitchen design area. Managed to get round in 4 hours 37 which is a pb.

Plan to go for something longer tomorrow.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Swapped parkrun for 5k around Croydon ikea today. Started off quite quickly but got very congested in the sofa section and came to a complete halt in the kitchen design area. Managed to get round in 4 hours 37 which is a pb.

Plan to go for something longer tomorrow.

Doesn't count as a run.......just like one of those 'tough mudder' or 'mudwanker' obstacle course thingies really. Food at the end is always ok though, meatballs for protein to help muscle repair etc.

Did you get a medal ? Sure as hell deserve one - IKEA and Croydon - huge test of endurance.

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
Instead of parkrun I was in hospital this morning getting my ankle checked as not getting any better. Turns out it looks like a small break at the bottom of my fibula. Not enough for a cast but going to have at least a couple of weeks on crutches and no running for a while. At least the nurse said I could swim so can try and keep my fitness but not what I wanted at the start of the year.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Instead of parkrun I was in hospital this morning getting my ankle checked as not getting any better. Turns out it looks like a small break at the bottom of my fibula. Not enough for a cast but going to have at least a couple of weeks on crutches and no running for a while. At least the nurse said I could swim so can try and keep my fitness but not what I wanted at the start of the year.

Good luck with bouncing back from your trampoline breakage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here