Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Perhaps the Albion Inn should be renamed the Albion Upp.
Lewes 10K for me on Easter Monday. 46.40 on a cross country course. Quite a big field (it starts and finishes on the athletics track and there's always a big club turnout) so lots of weaving around folk for the first 2 miles on narrow tracks. An enjoyable event if no way a PB course - part of the West Sussex Fun Run League. (Google 'Sussex Races' for the complete listing; all these events carry the added bonus of being cheap as chips.)
And for anyone looking for a quick 5k get along to Worthing prom this evening for the Worthing Rowing Club event (again details found under Sussex Races). The course is basically the same as the Worthing parkrun but manages to be shorter, I'm sure.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Starting to get back in to it now. Managed 8 miles on the morning of the promotion match and a 3 mile recovery run this morning followed by an aqua therapy session*

The only issue is this bloody celebrating. I'm putting the calories back on as quickly as I'm losing them :drink: :lolol:

*swimming with the kids

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Starting to get back in to it now. Managed 8 miles on the morning of the promotion match and a 3 mile recovery run this morning followed by an aqua therapy session*

The only issue is this bloody celebrating. I'm putting the calories back on as quickly as I'm losing them :drink: :lolol:

*swimming with the kids

Take the long-term view, GB. You've got a year to be in peak physical condition to catch the 3:45 from Preston Park. I've geared myself up for not getting a sub-4 in London on Sunday so I'm just going to enjoy it and try and run all of it. Then I'll focus a bit more on chipping away at those minutes with a (hopefully) fully flexible leg :lol:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Hi. Novice boy here again.

So I've started early in my attempt to run next years Brighton half. All previous running experience has seemingly gone and I'm back to square one.

Have gone out on 3 separate 5k runs in the last 8 days. I've had to stop on all 3 once at around 2 miles. Luckily breathing has never been the reason, but almost INSTANT tiredness in my calf muscles when I start.

By run 3 I was REALLY stretching and preparing and felt good....and then within 5 minutes the leg fatigue was there. I've always played football but I know my legs are weak. Would it be a simple case of simply rectifying this by continuing to run or would gym strengthening be recommended? It's quite annoying really as my fear (as an asthmatic) is that chest tiredness would be my downfall, not weak leg muscles!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Take the long-term view, GB. You've got a year to be in peak physical condition to catch the 3:45 from Preston Park. I've geared myself up for not getting a sub-4 in London on Sunday so I'm just going to enjoy it and try and run all of it. Then I'll focus a bit more on chipping away at those minutes with a (hopefully) fully flexible leg :lol:

Cheers - and best of luck in London, enjoy it.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
By run 3 I was REALLY stretching and preparing and felt good....and then within 5 minutes the leg fatigue was there. I've always played football but I know my legs are weak. Would it be a simple case of simply rectifying this by continuing to run or would gym strengthening be recommended? It's quite annoying really as my fear (as an asthmatic) is that chest tiredness would be my downfall, not weak leg muscles!

If you want to strengthen your legs then hill repeats are your friend.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I cannot make this as will be coming back from Norwich on Saturday morning, but may interest one or two on here

Hove Promenade parkrun
1 hr ·

This weekend on the Prom,we are celebrating the fantastic achievements of the Albion in gaining promotion (and possibly winning the Championship!) by inviting you to done your blue and white hats, scarves, footy shirts, shorts....whatever you wish! (Do remember we're a family event!) It's an amazing achievement by our local team so feel free to get involved should you wish!

Maybe get some friends to come along too - what an intro to parkrun! They can register here (just add Hove Promenade as your home event) - http://www.parkrun.org.uk/register/form/

We're still in need of some key roles so some more volunteers are needed! Get in touch if you can help! Hovepromenadehelpers@parkrun.com

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hi. Novice boy here again.

So I've started early in my attempt to run next years Brighton half. All previous running experience has seemingly gone and I'm back to square one.

Have gone out on 3 separate 5k runs in the last 8 days. I've had to stop on all 3 once at around 2 miles. Luckily breathing has never been the reason, but almost INSTANT tiredness in my calf muscles when I start.

If you want to strengthen your legs then hill repeats are your friend.

I'd go along with hill repeats but at this early stage in the training plan you could start by walking up and jogging down. I'd take it really easy as downhill running on unaccustomed/weak legs can do a lot of damage.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I cannot make this as will be coming back from Norwich on Saturday morning, but may interest one or two on here

Hove Promenade parkrun
1 hr ·

This weekend on the Prom,we are celebrating the fantastic achievements of the Albion in gaining promotion (and possibly winning the Championship!) by inviting you to done your blue and white hats, scarves, footy shirts, shorts....whatever you wish! (Do remember we're a family event!) It's an amazing achievement by our local team so feel free to get involved should you wish!

Maybe get some friends to come along too - what an intro to parkrun! They can register here (just add Hove Promenade as your home event) - http://www.parkrun.org.uk/register/form/

We're still in need of some key roles so some more volunteers are needed! Get in touch if you can help! Hovepromenadehelpers@parkrun.com

Brilliant look forward to the pics. I'll also be in Norwich. Was doing their Parkrun but, although Mrs K is perfectly happy to be alone Friday evening in Norwich campsite, leaving for a Parkrun in the morning would be pushing it. So a days walking Saturday on the north Norfolk Coast hopefully as Champions!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Perhaps the Albion Inn should be renamed the Albion Upp.
Lewes 10K for me on Easter Monday. 46.40 on a cross country course. Quite a big field (it starts and finishes on the athletics track and there's always a big club turnout) so lots of weaving around folk for the first 2 miles on narrow tracks. An enjoyable event if no way a PB course - part of the West Sussex Fun Run League. (Google 'Sussex Races' for the complete listing; all these events carry the added bonus of being cheap as chips.)
And for anyone looking for a quick 5k get along to Worthing prom this evening for the Worthing Rowing Club event (again details found under Sussex Races). The course is basically the same as the Worthing parkrun but manages to be shorter, I'm sure.

I ran this too and it will become a fixture in my running calendar as I absolutely loved it. Very scenic and not too hilly for a cross country. Hard to overtake at times but I wasn't particularly chasing a time after the BM10k last week.

Really enjoyed the last 300 metres being on the track and came home in 40:46 which I was fairly pleased with.

Contemplating the East Grinstead 10 on the morning of the Bristol City game next.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I ran this too and it will become a fixture in my running calendar as I absolutely loved it. Very scenic and not too hilly for a cross country. Hard to overtake at times but I wasn't particularly chasing a time after the BM10k last week.

Really enjoyed the last 300 metres being on the track and came home in 40:46 which I was fairly pleased with.

Contemplating the East Grinstead 10 on the morning of the Bristol City game next.

Well done; that's a cracking time for such a tricky 10K run. Agree - that track finish makes you feel like a proper athlete!

Did the Worthing Rowing Club 5k. Quite a fun event as you can enter as a team (one for next year maybe Knocky?). The standard seemed pretty high. I managed a 20:47 which was OK - went out too fast (10:04 at the turn) and then hit by the dreaded Worthing wind (an easterly for a change) on the way home.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done; that's a cracking time for such a tricky 10K run. Agree - that track finish makes you feel like a proper athlete!

Did the Worthing Rowing Club 5k. Quite a fun event as you can enter as a team (one for next year maybe Knocky?). The standard seemed pretty high. I managed a 20:47 which was OK - went out too fast (10:04 at the turn) and then hit by the dreaded Worthing wind (an easterly for a change) on the way home.

You@re on fire.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
First speed session since attempting one during marathon training and the whole thing falling apart. Only 3 X 2min intervals with lots of cool down time but ran them at 7 min miles and no after effects so far. Looking at a parkrun return the day before Villa if everything works out.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
An unofficial 18:54 back at my home Parkrun today, this on the slower (for me) alternate course due to a cricket match so I didn't have the usual long downhill stretch to wind up my sprint finish.

Now, lets see if I can sub-19 Woking too...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
First tentative steps back today after seven weeks out. 38 min Parkrun will do as a starting point.

Another one hopefully off the injury bench :thumbsup:

I should be at Hove Park in a couple of weeks time and more regularly going forward as I've officially finished as a football coach.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Slowest ever Orpington parkrun this morning, my first with a dog, 39:18. She can run the distance but sulks when I don't go the route she wants! Nice to see a blue and white stripey shirt, well ahead of us.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Tried Bevendean for the first time. Well it's certainly not PB territory but not the toughest one I've run (that honour goes to Queen Elizabeth park in Hampshire). Time: 23:35 which is not great but good enough to get me the best AG in today's field - all 32 of us! Great view over the coast when you slog your way to the top of the hill. If you live close-by it's well worth a go - but it's a bit hard to find.
Good to hear about other runners making comebacks from injury.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here