Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I had to force myself out tonight having dozed off on the sofa before even doing the bath/bed thing for my lad.

I decided to do the same 10 mile loop I managed to get round last Sunday morning but, inspired by my Friday run where I came in just under 9min/mile for 5 miles, I would try and stick at that pace for the first 6 miles and then slow down to 10min/miles.

I managed the first bit of that, but my later miles were slightly slower meaning I did the 10 miles in 1:34:36 when if I'd managed to stick to my planned pace i'd have been 1:34:00 dead. It still means I beat last week's run by 6 whole minutes and clocked my fastest 10km of 56:32. I feel slightly disappointed with the 10km time and wonder how accurate it is. If I completed 6 miles in 53:20 and did the next mile in 9:47, then the first .21 mile of that mile to get me to 10km should have been done in about 2 minutes to give me a 10km time of around 55:30.

Saw lots of foxes tonight including some on the beach - we gave each other a scare. The only other incident of note was a bloke emerging from the shadows in an isolated stretch of seafront on East Worthing shouting and pointing and clutching a can of Kronenbourg. I can now understand why people run faster during events when there is a crowd shouting at them, although I doubt people in halves and marathons run the risk of having a can of export strength lager lobbed at them. It made my 5th mile my fastest as I upped my pace a bit to escape!

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 23.26.09.png

Other than that, the only other thing to report is a blood splattered top on my right chest. My nipple doesn't look like it's been bleeding and doesn't even feel sore (the other one is) but I need to find a way to protect myself now I'm running longer distances.

Hmmm - attempted a last long run but felt dreadful throughout and gave up at 10 miles. A disappointing way to end the long distance training - just hoping it was the amount of training in my legs (ran 7 miles late Friday) but I'll find out in 2 weeks I guess ��

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I had to force myself out tonight having dozed off on the sofa before even doing the bath/bed thing for my lad.

I decided to do the same 10 mile loop I managed to get round last Sunday morning but, inspired by my Friday run where I came in just under 9min/mile for 5 miles, I would try and stick at that pace for the first 6 miles and then slow down to 10min/miles.

I managed the first bit of that, but my later miles were slightly slower meaning I did the 10 miles in 1:34:36 when if I'd managed to stick to my planned pace i'd have been 1:34:00 dead. It still means I beat last week's run by 6 whole minutes and clocked my fastest 10km of 56:32. I feel slightly disappointed with the 10km time and wonder how accurate it is. If I completed 6 miles in 53:20 and did the next mile in 9:47, then the first .21 mile of that mile to get me to 10km should have been done in about 2 minutes to give me a 10km time of around 55:30.

Saw lots of foxes tonight including some on the beach - we gave each other a scare. The only other incident of note was a bloke emerging from the shadows in an isolated stretch of seafront on East Worthing shouting and pointing and clutching a can of Kronenbourg. I can now understand why people run faster during events when there is a crowd shouting at them, although I doubt people in halves and marathons run the risk of having a can of export strength lager lobbed at them. It made my 5th mile my fastest as I upped my pace a bit to escape!

View attachment 64239

Other than that, the only other thing to report is a blood splattered top on my right chest. My nipple doesn't look like it's been bleeding and doesn't even feel sore (the other one is) but I need to find a way to protect myself now I'm running longer distances.

Good running...!

Plasters on nips a good idea for longer runs, especially if it's wet, chafing is always much worse when you're soaked. Kit makes a difference too - technical tops with the finest thread are best, anything else can be like a cheese grater after a few miles.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

View attachment 64239

Couldn't see the picture before, assumed it might be of said chaffing!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Good running...!

Plasters on nips a good idea for longer runs, especially if it's wet, chafing is always much worse when you're soaked. Kit makes a difference too - technical tops with the finest thread are best, anything else can be like a cheese grater after a few miles.

I'll try plasters next time, possibly today.

I've always been a sweater so my tops, which are all technical (Nike, Adidas, NB and Under Armour) are called upon for their wicking abilities!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yeah does ring a bell, past just before Widewater! I had orange top and my snood rolled over up over my mouth/nose and cap on backwards to try not loose it as the wind was whipping into my face, must of looked a right site! Hope you got to the pier before the rain really started, wouldnt of liked to run into that. Anyways, enjoy the wine and goodluck for the marathon.

On a quite day for runners thought that had to be you. You came up so fast into my periphery vision that I thought you were a car going into the car park! Everyone else yesterday was running at a steadier pace.
As for [MENTION=24872]london[/MENTION]irish I felt it yesterday, as well. We'll be fine in 2 weeks.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Strava reckons I did my fastest 5k (27:37) and 10k (57:31) along the route, which surprises me. Looking at Nike+ it reckons my fastest 5k ever was 26:37 in March 2009 so that could be in sight soon.

Gone!

Another of those "doesn't make much sense" running days. I'm a bit under the weather and it's pretty windy out there with some strong gusts. Despite that I just did a 26:02 5km as part of a 5.1 mile run. I got a lot slower after that bit though!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Got a Garmin Forerunner 620 for my birthday yesterday. Never had one, so I'm looking forward to losing myself in stats and bits of useless information about my run. :lol:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Got a Garmin Forerunner 620 for my birthday yesterday. Never had one, so I'm looking forward to losing myself in stats and bits of useless information about my run. :lol:

I love stats and my Garmin 110 although basic is one of my prized possessions and has really helped my running.

Comparing runs of similar distances you can track improvements easily and this is a great motivator.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I love stats and my Garmin 110 although basic is one of my prized possessions and has really helped my running.

Comparing runs of similar distances you can track improvements easily and this is a great motivator.

Me too. It's also particularly motivating to use it with Strava and compare yourself with other runners on all the various segments.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Me too. It's also particularly motivating to use it with Strava and compare yourself with other runners on all the various segments.

Not always. I did a short 'easy' run a couple of weeks ago and when I got to a crossroads I had a pal's 'strava segment' comment in my head so belted down the road for the next mile. Following morning my coach emailed me asking what the f*** was I doing with a sub 7 minute mile on what was supposed to be an 'easy' run LOL

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
There is a lot to be said for having a plain old Casio stopwatch. The only thing I can realistically compare is my final time for whatever route I'm taking with however long it took me previously.

Today I was up on the North Downs, and ran my route quicker than last time. Lots of steep ups and downs so good for strength and speed.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Happy birthday and enjoy!

I did a Fartlek session of 6 mins / 5 mins./ 4 mins all down to 1 min at max with 90 secs jog recovery yesterday. So much easier to check each segment with a watch. What really disturbed me was that I started the Runkeeper app on my phone first, put it in my pocket and then started my run. At the end I stopped the watch instantly then retrieved the phone. I was expecting a three or four seconds delay each time so a cumulative eight seconds out. The actual difference in elapsed times? Nineteen seconds. NINETEEN.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I (try to) use my Garmin to run slower than I would like to, at the pace required and over the distance for that training session. Very boring but adrenaline flows for any scheduled races.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Went out today to do a gentle lap of my 3.8m loop. After yesterday's record 5km triumph/wind-battling combo I was intending to take it very easy.

As it turned out, I had no choice, my legs were very heavy including a painful left lower shin.

I'm taking it as a sign I've been over-doing it slightly and could probably do with a few days rest. I had loosely set my sights on running further than I ever have before on Sunday, possibly up to half-marathon distance so I might have to revise that.

Despite all this, I still did the run 4 minutes quicker than I did on my first run just over two months ago, highlighting just how much I've progressed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I (try to) use my Garmin to run slower than I would like to, at the pace required and over the distance for that training session. Very boring but adrenaline flows for any scheduled races.

This is a good point - sometimes it's about running slower, not faster. Sometimes use the pace alarm on the garmin (you can set it to beep at you if you above/below certain speeds)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here