Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think I’ve not done quite enough but should be enough to get round if I’ve done a 17 and a 20:

From 2018:
Jan - 6 runs - 28miles
Feb - 7 runs 56 miles
Mar - 3 runs 40 miles so far

Hmm, that doesn't seem like a lot. I'm running a marathon in May and my training so far is:

Jan - 23 runs, 197km
Feb - 19 runs, 214km
Mar - 19 runs, 262km (will be doing 2 more runs)

My training is towards the higher end of distance/runs (not that high though). You may be fine, but I'd suggest taking it very easy at the start and seeing how you feel.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Dunno, but it doesn't seem that long ago there was only about a dozen of us and anyone who'd done 30 miles in a week had really been doing some serious mileage!! :laugh:

(Usually [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] and [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION])

Not sure about serious mileage for me at the mo..

With other things in life getting in the way of running in the last year, I've had to put off my big runs this year as I've not had the time to build up decent block of running. Also I haven't really got a decent year of running to fall back from last year to complete any of my targets this year so.. So my running mojo is not high at the mo.. Expect to see more of me on the Geeks Strava page in the next few weeks! As the cycling gets more the running should take care of itself.

I'm deciding to go back to basics.. 10k's half's speed and crucially cycling to and from work for weight loss and injury prevention..(not that i've ever been seriously injured)shedding them pounds really dose make a difference. I'll hopefully a 50 miler at the end of the year.. leading into next year.

Anyway.. in the mean time this Guinness wont drink itself!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
* Advice please *

Doing Paris marathon a week Sunday. Did 17 at start of March and 20 a week later but had a definite hamstring injury so rested for just over 2 weeks and did a gentle 3 on Tues (not ideal preperation). I don’t think I’ve quite done enough training but just want to do the thing and not worried re time. I was thinking of a 10 miler Friday, followed by a 3-4 miler Monday for tapering. Just worried my 20 miler would have been a whole 4 weeks before the marathon when I get to race day and I’d have lost fitness...?! Thoughts welcome!

I’m also getting a massage and trying to eat healthy ish in the next 10 days :thumbsup:

You won’t lose any fitness that materially impacts your run on the day in just 4 weeks. With a 20 miler in the bank you’ll get round assuming no legacy from any injuries and no catastrophe on the day, just take it very, very gently, particularly at the start where it’s very easy to get sucked into someone else’s race. The whole ‘get round’ thing is a bit overblown - the vast majority in a marathon get round, even if they have to walk a bit. Don’t be afraid to do that if you need to - you won’t be alone.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure about serious mileage for me at the mo..

With other things in life getting in the way of running in the last year, I've had to put off my big runs this year as I've not had the time to build up decent block of running. Also I haven't really got a decent year of running to fall back from last year to complete any of my targets this year so.. So my running mojo is not high at the mo.. Expect to see more of me on the Geeks Strava page in the next few weeks! As the cycling gets more the running should take care of itself.

I'm deciding to go back to basics.. 10k's half's speed and crucially cycling to and from work for weight loss and injury prevention..(not that i've ever been seriously injured)shedding them pounds really dose make a difference. I'll hopefully a 50 miler at the end of the year.. leading into next year.

Anyway.. in the mean time this Guinness wont drink itself!

Get a shift on, I want to see the Spartathlon or The Spine on NSC Strava [emoji106][emoji106]

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
I think I’ve not done quite enough but should be enough to get round if I’ve done a 17 and a 20:

From 2018:
Jan - 6 runs - 28miles
Feb - 7 runs 56 miles
Mar - 3 runs 40 miles so far

Yeah it does depend on your level of fitness and what your previous running experience is. I've known people complete Ultras 140 + 500 miles on 30 mile a week or less.. but they're hard, experienced bast#rds.
It can be a hard slog during the race when you know you haven't the right amount miles/training in the bag (I think i've never done enough!) to compete on the level you want. If you let it, it can play on your mind during the race which can be rubbish... Happen to me this year on the Brecon to Cardiff ultra.

But hey, just put it down to experience and enjoy it as much as you can. If you can get in another 20 for confidence between now at the race..wont make any difference to fitness or performance but it might help with confidence.

Don't over think it and get it done!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
One day my friend.

Need to get back to basics as my training is everywhere. Once i get back to enjoying the miles and regain my enjoyment of shitting and vomiting in woods ..I'm there!

I blame it on the Home Brew personally.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Have you run a marathon before? 26+ miles on the day with adrenaline, people around you, nerves, etc is very different to a 17 and 20 mile leisure run. Beware. Good luck.
Ps - your ytd mileage seems a bit light

I’ve been told a 20 on your own is harder than 26 on the day with the crowds and other runners? But you say beware?! Yep, it’s def light but time and things I’ve had on as well as my niggly hammy have restricted me somewhat.

Hmm, that doesn't seem like a lot. I'm running a marathon in May and my training so far is:

Jan - 23 runs, 197km
Feb - 19 runs, 214km
Mar - 19 runs, 262km (will be doing 2 more runs)

My training is towards the higher end of distance/runs (not that high though). You may be fine, but I'd suggest taking it very easy at the start and seeing how you feel.

Yeh I’m most certainly not running for a time - anything under 5 hours and I’ll be buzzing though.
You won’t lose any fitness that materially impacts your run on the day in just 4 weeks. With a 20 miler in the bank you’ll get round assuming no legacy from any injuries and no catastrophe on the day, just take it very, very gently, particularly at the start where it’s very easy to get sucked into someone else’s race. The whole ‘get round’ thing is a bit overblown - the vast majority in a marathon get round, even if they have to walk a bit. Don’t be afraid to do that if you need to - you won’t be alone.

Great advice - I’ll be going off slow. I’ve done about 14 or so halves and a 20 race last year so am used to pacing myself as best I can in races.
Yeah it does depend on your level of fitness and what your previous running experience is. I've known people complete Ultras 140 + 500 miles on 30 mile a week or less.. but they're hard, experienced bast#rds.
It can be a hard slog during the race when you know you haven't the right amount miles/training in the bag (I think i've never done enough!) to compete on the level you want. If you let it, it can play on your mind during the race which can be rubbish... Happen to me this year on the Brecon to Cardiff ultra.

But hey, just put it down to experience and enjoy it as much as you can. If you can get in another 20 for confidence between now at the race..wont make any difference to fitness or performance but it might help with confidence.

Don't over think it and get it done!

I was worried a 20 the week before - eg tomo would be too much so thought 10 was a fair distance. I’m not expecting to enjoy the tail end of the race - this is more a bucket list thing and never do a marathon again type challenge. Got some personal reasons from last year that make me want to do one this year too and Paris is a great chance.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’ve been told a 20 on your own is harder than 26 on the day with the crowds and other runners? But you say beware?! Yep, it’s def light but time and things I’ve had on as well as my niggly hammy have restricted me somewhat.

Yeh I’m most certainly not running for a time - anything under 5 hours and I’ll be buzzing though.

Great advice - I’ll be going off slow. I’ve done about 14 or so halves and a 20 race last year so am used to pacing myself as best I can in races.

I was worried a 20 the week before - eg tomo would be too much so thought 10 was a fair distance. I’m not expecting to enjoy the tail end of the race - this is more a bucket list thing and never do a marathon again type challenge. Got some personal reasons from last year that make me want to do one this year too and Paris is a great chance.

Just go for it...start slow, enjoy the crowds, and make sure you take on plenty of water (before and during) and fuel and you’ll be fine. Not done it myself but everyone I know who has says it’s a great event.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just go for it...start slow, enjoy the crowds, and make sure you take on plenty of water (before and during) and fuel and you’ll be fine. Not done it myself but everyone I know who has says it’s a great event.

Shotblocks and lucozade seem to help. In fact even in halves water stations tend to really help me so that is a good thing :)

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Some runners love the crowds and the buzz gets them through. I didn’t and towards the end felt distressed and wanted to be on my own away from any crowds. I did lots wrong including putting in high quantity but poor quality miles during 7 (that was another mistake) months of training.

If you’ve done HMs you should be ok. Good luck

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Some runners love the crowds and the buzz gets them through. I didn’t and towards the end felt distressed and wanted to be on my own away from any crowds. I did lots wrong including putting in high quantity but poor quality miles during 7 (that was another mistake) months of training.

If you’ve done HMs you should be ok. Good luck

“Oooh, go on do it”
“You’re nearly there”

**** OFF !!!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

If you've done about 14 halfs in the past then you'll be fine. In my experience the tail end of the race is the fun bit as the pace gets quicker and you find that extra bit of jazz in your feet and legs to get you home.. its the 18ish miles of a marathon for me are crap..

Don't mind crowds, just block em out.. hate all the high fives..whooping and 'your amazing's'' that go with the big races though.. Its just running! but I do appreciate the effort some put in to achieve what they want out of it.. Maybe I'm just bitter as more than a few times.. when I started running i went to high five a kid in the crowd and for him to pull his hand away. oh the shame! never again.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
haha yeah.. and the other one that gets good airing is...

" This is your last big hill...promise.. Dig deep fella" ....

These marathon runners...water every mile, no hills, no mud, no need for a torch.......getting the whole run done before the date changes.......[emoji23][emoji23]

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
“Oooh, go on do it”
“You’re nearly there”

**** OFF !!!

Took me a while to work that one out but.........exactly.

Running/hobbling past the lagoon westwards I just wanted to curl up in the gutter. Such a lonely feeling when everyone else seems happy

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Remember hiding in bush at finish of Burgess Hill Triathlon a few mintutes up on rival. Managed to sing who ate all the pies from start to finish as he came in.
He got revenge when i cramped on bike at Windsor. As he lapped me on the 10k he shouted out "Look at the state of you, it's meant to be a race". American next to me didn't realise we were friends and said " Hey, come on he's dong the best he can!" Not sure which was the bigger ****.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Plodded for 13.5 miles this morning in exactly two hours. Pacing spot on for BM - not sure about doing double the distance though...

Good to see my fellow GB along the front - looking good mate [emoji123]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Plodded for 13.5 miles this morning in exactly two hours. Pacing spot on for BM - not sure about doing double the distance though...

Good to see my fellow GB along the front - looking good mate [emoji123]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yep, good to see you too. That's the last time I tell you I'll take it easy though............

Set out for 6 miles steady state and was nailing even pacing for 4.5 miles. Then the unmistakable shooting pain of cramp down the back of the right leg. I had forgotten to drink my morning pint of water (I have this EVERY day even if I'm not running :facepalm: ), had emptied my bladder and I'd had a couple of strong IPAs last night. Stopped immediately but had to stretch and then hobble to a shop to get water. No permanent damage, except to my ego but I do feel a bit of a Pompey Fan. Carnage here https://www.strava.com/activities/1479269359

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here