Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Pretty pleased. Some might remember right i posted a while back that I was starting running after a long lay off. It has been just shy of 3 months now, I have to say I am loving every minute of it. The first few weeks were rather rough and constant pain for the following days. I had come from smoking 20 a day drinking regular and not giving much thought to my diet. I feel embarrassed just writing that about myself. The first run I did was 2.7km.

Well, I wasn't going to post on a thread for pros but something about the start of that post just resonated with me. I am unfit and hideously overweight due to booze and food, particularly at weekends. I was also travelling to an office in London by train, sitting down for 8 hours, travelling home again, eating at about 8pm with a glass of wine and then going straight to bed. Well, you can imagine.

In the last couple of weeks our company has started a trial where we can work from home by default to see if it increases productivity. Not only has it done that but I've seen it change my lifestyle. I've eaten earlier and healthier and my only booze has been my customary three pints at football on Saturday (one before, one at HT and one after). Having consulted a doc (I am 42 and have been VERY lazy) I went for my first jog since I played football regularly at lunchtime today. 2.5k in 16 minutes (yeah I know) but I didn't stop once and I did it in that there rain and wind. What's more I weirdly enjoyed it.

Anyone got any good tips for beginners / restarters? I have comfy socks and new-ish but broken in Nike Air trainers, a hi-viz top and normal shorts. I stretch as I would pre-football before a run (or I did today) and am planning on keeping my excercise time the same every day (though will only brisk walk tomorrow on advice from doc that seems to tie in with running plans I've seen online).

Ta in advance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well, I wasn't going to post on a thread for pros but something about the start of that post just resonated with me. I am unfit and hideously overweight due to booze and food, particularly at weekends. I was also travelling to an office in London by train, sitting down for 8 hours, travelling home again, eating at about 8pm with a glass of wine and then going straight to bed. Well, you can imagine.

In the last couple of weeks our company has started a trial where we can work from home by default to see if it increases productivity. Not only has it done that but I've seen it change my lifestyle. I've eaten earlier and healthier and my only booze has been my customary three pints at football on Saturday (one before, one at HT and one after). Having consulted a doc (I am 42 and have been VERY lazy) I went for my first jog since I played football regularly at lunchtime today. 2.5k in 16 minutes (yeah I know) but I didn't stop once and I did it in that there rain and wind. What's more I weirdly enjoyed it.

Anyone got any good tips for beginners / restarters? I have comfy socks and new-ish but broken in Nike Air trainers, a hi-viz top and normal shorts. I stretch as I would pre-football before a run (or I did today) and am planning on keeping my excercise time the same every day (though will only brisk walk tomorrow on advice from doc that seems to tie in with running plans I've seen online).

Ta in advance.

Hey, welcome. And this is not a thread for pros. We seem seem to have a very side ranging number of posters and to my knowledge not a single bin-fest yet. I like to think we're an accessible and helpful bunch to anyone.

You seem to be doing everything right i.e. modest distances to start with and stretching/warming up. My only advise at the moment is to not increase distances too quickly and invest any money you have in buying the right pair of shoes. When you're starting off, imho, you can run in any sensible clothes. But as you starting increasing the distances it is wise to invest in proper shorts, tops and socks etc. But, I personally feel this is the last thing you need to worry about at the moment...shoes is where you need to concentrate.

Oh, and we love a good story so post about your experiences. And it is a wierd hobby; I was up at 6am the other morning running in the dark and rain around a park. Got home soaked and covered in mud but boy did it feel good.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Hey, welcome. And this is not a thread for pros. We seem seem to have a very side ranging number of posters and to my knowledge not a single bin-fest yet. I like to think we're an accessible and helpful bunch to anyone.

You seem to be doing everything right i.e. modest distances to start with and stretching/warming up. My only advise at the moment is to not increase distances too quickly and invest any money you have in buying the right pair of shoes. When you're starting off, imho, you can run in any sensible clothes. But as you starting increasing the distances it is wise to invest in proper shorts, tops and socks etc. But, I personally feel this is the last thing you need to worry about at the moment...shoes is where you need to concentrate.

Oh, and we love a good story so post about your experiences. And it is a wierd hobby; I was up at 6am the other morning running in the dark and rain around a park. Got home soaked and covered in mud but boy did it feel good.

Cheers, good to know. I'll look in to proper shoes. Any recommendations?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
What [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] said really.

Only other tips are to maybe think about following a 'walk to run' training program to get you to the level where you can comfortably run for half an hour.

And the second most essential piece of running equipment to my mind are decent running socks (I use Thorlos) to help keep blisters at bay.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Cheers, good to know. I'll look in to proper shoes. Any recommendations?

Get to a proper running shop is my advice. The wrong shoes can really mess you up. Run in Blatchington Road or The Jog Shop in George Street are the best locally imo.

Oh, and great work getting yourself out there.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
And the second most essential piece of running equipment to my mind are decent running socks (I use Thorlos) to help keep blisters at bay.

I've had quite a few issues with blisters, the best investment was obviously correctly fitting proper running shoes (originally I was using very heard leather ones that were too tight) and then some proper sweat wicking running socks. Recently I've taken to slapping some vaseline on the toes before putting my socks on and that seems to be working pretty well too.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Get to a proper running shop is my advice. The wrong shoes can really mess you up. Run in Blatchington Road or The Jog Shop in George Street are the best locally imo.

Oh, and great work getting yourself out there.

If possible I would suggest going to at least 2 running shops to get your gait analysed, or at least make sure that the person doing the analysis is well regarded. The shop may have all the high tech equipment to record it, but they also need the skilled staff to correctly interpret the data and recommend the right shoes.

My gf had it done by a young lad in our local shop, who ordered in a pair which he said would suit her style. When she went to collect them the shop owner re-analysed her gait and said they were completely the wrong shoe.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
For the record, the new Brighton away top chafes the ol' nipples a bit. I've found. #fat*******

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I've had quite a few issues with blisters, the best investment was obviously correctly fitting proper running shoes (originally I was using very heard leather ones that were too tight) and then some proper sweat wicking running socks. Recently I've taken to slapping some vaseline on the toes before putting my socks on and that seems to be working pretty well too.

Yep, sort the shoes and socks out and you're most of the way there. I used to get blisters on one foot which I eventually tracked down to the insole in the shoe slipping whilst I ran - I tacked it down using car trim-tape and haven't been bothered since!

Also, try using the "spare" lace holes in your running shoes (cross the laces through the holes and tie as normal) - they help counter heel-slip.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If possible I would suggest going to at least 2 running shops to get your gait analysed, or at least make sure that the person doing the analysis is well regarded. The shop may have all the high tech equipment to record it, but they also need the skilled staff to correctly interpret the data and recommend the right shoes.

My gf had it done by a young lad in our local shop, who ordered in a pair which he said would suit her style. When she went to collect them the shop owner re-analysed her gait and said they were completely the wrong shoe.

I went to Run in Blatchington Rd, Hove last time and they did a good job in my opinion. It is a two-way street though. My first pair were a big step in the right direction but not perfect. When I went the 2nd time for my next pair I explained where I felt I need a bit of improvement in my shoes and then it was nailed. My point being if your first pair isn't perfect then treat it as part of the learning exercise; don't be disheartened. Obviously this does not excuse the shite service described above.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Ta in advance.

Great start ! Already loads of sound advice above and I've only seen supportive stuff on here regardless of ability. Couple of other possible recommendations :
-5k parkruns on Saturday mornings. Very inclusive, free to enter and no faffing about with numbers or anything. Just pre-register on the parkrun website, print off your barcode and turn up for the 9am start (Hove, Preston Park and Claire in Haywards Heath all have them). Fabulous way to get into low-key racing, and improving your time. You'll find every ability there.
-static stretching before running isn't something coaches recommend. Better to warm up by walking a bit, doing a few dynamic stretches/skipping/high knees etc (football warm up !) or even just start a bit slower than you plan and ease into your run
-socks - I have never, ever had a blister in Hilly TwinSkin socks, even in the wet and mud
-join a running club. You'll find loads of friendly ones locally (can happily recommend one depending on where you are if needed). The boost you'll get from running with others, a bit of structured coaching and so e extra motivation will make a big difference, especially when you hit those plateaus that occur from time to time

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Great start ! Already loads of sound advice above and I've only seen supportive stuff on here regardless of ability. Couple of other possible recommendations :
-5k parkruns on Saturday mornings. Very inclusive, free to enter and no faffing about with numbers or anything. Just pre-register on the parkrun website, print off your barcode and turn up for the 9am start (Hove, Preston Park and Claire in Haywards Heath all have them). Fabulous way to get into low-key racing, and improving your time. You'll find every ability there.
-static stretching before running isn't something coaches recommend. Better to warm up by walking a bit, doing a few dynamic stretches/skipping/high knees etc (football warm up !) or even just start a bit slower than you plan and ease into your run
-socks - I have never, ever had a blister in Hilly TwinSkin socks, even in the wet and mud
-join a running club. You'll find loads of friendly ones locally (can happily recommend one depending on where you are if needed). The boost you'll get from running with others, a bit of structured coaching and so e extra motivation will make a big difference, especially when you hit those plateaus that occur from time to time

Cheers! Excellent advice I suspect, especially the socks.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I missed this yesterday - welcome GB, but please don't think of us all as pros! It sounds like you're on the right track, and Dazzer's suggestions are good ones.

I'm a massive parkrun fan, and would recommend anyone get down there. Mix up your training a bit. I tended to go on aimless runs at the same pace, but maybe varying the distance, but now I attack hills, do speed work and longer faster runs. Might seem a long way off, but you'll get there. I built up gradually from just running around the block - it helps if you like running, I guess.

Also, enter a race - something to train for in the future, and keep your motivation.

The hardest part of a run is getting out of the door. I really wasn't in the mood for it this morning, but when I got going, while I still wasn't really enjoying it (five miles of fartlek) I felt better afterwards.

Good luck :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I missed this yesterday - welcome GB, but please don't think of us all as pros! It sounds like you're on the right track, and Dazzer's suggestions are good ones.

I'm a massive parkrun fan, and would recommend anyone get down there. Mix up your training a bit. I tended to go on aimless runs at the same pace, but maybe varying the distance, but now I attack hills, do speed work and longer faster runs. Might seem a long way off, but you'll get there. I built up gradually from just running around the block - it helps if you like running, I guess.

Also, enter a race - something to train for in the future, and keep your motivation.

The hardest part of a run is getting out of the door. I really wasn't in the mood for it this morning, but when I got going, while I still wasn't really enjoying it (five miles of fartlek) I felt better afterwards.

Good luck :thumbsup:

My favourite bit of any run is the first 10-15 minutes. Said no-one, ever.

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
I must suggest Up and Running in Horsham.
All the staff are ex Marathon/Ultra runners and they certainly explained the difference between flat feet and arches to me. There was no more knee pain (from the strain of wrong shoes) and it was magic.

As most people have said, the hardest part is getting changed and getting out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Park Runs are good fun and a simple way to chart progress. I used to do the Hove Park run, then go to the little cafe next to Hove Car Wash for a cup of tea; a great way to start a weekend.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I must suggest Up and Running in Horsham.
All the staff are ex Marathon/Ultra runners and they certainly explained the difference between flat feet and arches to me. There was no more knee pain (from the strain of wrong shoes) and it was magic.

As most people have said, the hardest part is getting changed and getting out.

Good shout, they are always very helpful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here