Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Many thanks for such a considered reply. This together with other replies shows just how many approaches there are. I like the speed-endurance advice. I read that Kenyans typically run negative splits in their long training runs and I've been trying to do this on my longer runs (if not quite at the pace of the Kenyans!). I think there's a lot of stuff going on in your head with marathon training and my own particular issue is with my two previous efforts which I did on a shameful training base - something like 10 miles per week, but with a 20 miler (the old 'Worthing 20' which some might recall) thrown in 2 weeks before the events. My training logs read like something that should be published under the title 'How Not to Prepare for a Marathon'
The schedule you've put together there isn't a whole lot different from what I've been starting to do but the big issue is that pesky long run, the prospect of which I find quite intimidating - but that's a bad reason for avoiding it.
Thanks again.

No worries. For the speed endurance runs, I find it psychologically easier for some reason to do them as an 'out and back' run.......feels like a jog out to a point, and then a hard run back.......may be worth a try. Makes the second half feel much shorter. Happy to give a few examples of other sessions I get given if you want them.......reducing ladders (OK), michigans (truly grim) etc. Good for a bit of variety if nothing else.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
No worries. For the speed endurance runs, I find it psychologically easier for some reason to do them as an 'out and back' run.......feels like a jog out to a point, and then a hard run back.......may be worth a try. Makes the second half feel much shorter. Happy to give a few examples of other sessions I get given if you want them.......reducing ladders (OK), michigans (truly grim) etc. Good for a bit of variety if nothing else.

Cheers. I followed this up and read about the 'Michigan'. The review said - "there is no doubt this workout is a beast". Scared me off good and proper!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Intervals this morning. Forgot how much I hated them but quite pleased with how fast I went in the first two with the wind behind me :)

D

Deleted member 2719

I did another 5k this morning, but as a newbie need guidance on how to get the right stride length, mine was almost a shuffle this morning, my calfs were pumped, could this be a factor? Lactic acid within 1.5k?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I did another 5k this morning, but as a newbie need guidance on how to get the right stride length, mine was almost a shuffle this morning, my calfs were pumped, could this be a factor? Lactic acid within 1.5k?

Unlikely, shouldn't be too much lactic build up over 1.5k (at 5k pace). Were your calves tight from the start ? What warm up did you do (LOL, same as most of us I expect). Be aware of neural tension - may not be an issue for you but it was what was causing calf tightness for me (there are couple of very simple exercises that can get rid of this if it is)

Stride length should come fairly naturally. I try to keep mine short - a 'pitter patter' is generally thought to be better than lumbering strides (high cadence rather than low), keeping your centre of gravity ahead of your knees rather than directly above them (ie lean forward a bit)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
5k race in 19:50. Would have been 19:40 but I ate too much beforehand for a sprint finish. Managed to vom spectacularly as I crossed the line, which was handy.

Any of you smashers doing a Sussex parky before Leicester?

I'm not going to Leicester, but will be at Hove Park tomorrow.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Can't add much to dazzer's reply but the calf muscle tightness just could be down to a whole range of factors. I'm one (of many I suspect) who as been plagued by dodgy calves and there's always the danger of a muscle tear. You'll know it when it happens (not nice) but best pre-empt if possible and look to doing some stretches and even get hold of a 'roller' which might be a good investment for as little as a tenner. My advice would be not to mess around with your stride pattern. Close analysis of this thread will reveal that at any given time x% of us are injured to some extent or other.

D

Deleted member 2719

Unlikely, shouldn't be too much lactic build up over 1.5k (at 5k pace). Were your calves tight from the start ? What warm up did you do (LOL, same as most of us I expect). Be aware of neural tension - may not be an issue for you but it was what was causing calf tightness for me (there are couple of very simple exercises that can get rid of this if it is)

Stride length should come fairly naturally. I try to keep mine short - a 'pitter patter' is generally thought to be better than lumbering strides (high cadence rather than low), keeping your centre of gravity ahead of your knees rather than directly above them (ie lean forward a bit)

Thanks for the advice, i did do a warm up, leg lunges and ankle exercises and some resistant bands around the legs. But i'm not sure my calfs were very relax from the first step, i did go within half an hour of climbing out of bed, so maybe i need to get up earlier and warm up longer. The problem i have is, in the mind i can run like a gazelle in reality i run like a drunk on a friday night.

Can't add much to dazzer's reply but the calf muscle tightness just could be down to a whole range of factors. I'm one (of many I suspect) who as been plagued by dodgy calves and there's always the danger of a muscle tear. You'll know it when it happens (not nice) but best pre-empt if possible and look to doing some stretches and even get hold of a 'roller' which might be a good investment for as little as a tenner. My advice would be not to mess around with your stride pattern. Close analysis of this thread will reveal that at any given time x% of us are injured to some extent or other.

Thanks for the advice, i have noticed a theme of injury, i was rather hoping it was a rare event.

I do have a PT i will run it by her in my next session, i have a feeling she will say it is lack of warm up!!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I was planning a 25 minute Hove Park parkrun this morning but got excited by some guy's sprint finish and decided to beat him, so I flew across the line in 24:31. Isle of Wight half tomorrow, that'll be a 1:45 job as part of the training plan. I'm not planning on attacking that with any great venom. Originally I was wanting it to be a PB attempt, but it doesn't fit the training plan so I'll target Worthing 2018 for a HM PB.

Good to see [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] at the finish, long since finished!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I was planning a 25 minute Hove Park parkrun this morning but got excited by some guy's sprint finish and decided to beat him, so I flew across the line in 24:31. Isle of Wight half tomorrow, that'll be a 1:45 job as part of the training plan. I'm not planning on attacking that with any great venom. Originally I was wanting it to be a PB attempt, but it doesn't fit the training plan so I'll target Worthing 2018 for a HM PB.

Good to see [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] at the finish, long since finished!

Ah, that explains your restrained time on Strava! Well done on sticking to your plan, I'm not sure I could be that disciplined! Good luck for tomorrow.

Ducked under 19 today, will have to wait for the results for an idea of if I've beaten my best time at Guildford.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ah, that explains your restrained time on Strava! Well done on sticking to your plan, I'm not sure I could be that disciplined! Good luck for tomorrow.

Ducked under 19 today, will have to wait for the results for an idea of if I've beaten my best time at Guildford.

Yep, it's all part of a sustained plan to take your second place in the league table. :thumbsup:

I was very disciplined until I heard the "go on mate, catch him!" shouts. I debated it for a few seconds then picked up the pace, to be fair to the guy, he was giving it a good go but my longer stride won out. It needed a full on sprint though, something not far off top speed. It felt good to unleash, the achilles hasn't responded at all which is good.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yep, it's all part of a sustained plan to take your second place in the league table. :thumbsup:

I was very disciplined until I heard the "go on mate, catch him!" shouts. I debated it for a few seconds then picked up the pace, to be fair to the guy, he was giving it a good go but my longer stride won out. It needed a full on sprint though, something not far off top speed. It felt good to unleash, the achilles hasn't responded at all which is good.

Great feeling that. Sitting back through the run, 25% off the pace and then unleash.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Love the (genuine) explanations not experienced by the likes of Mo

The dog probably also ran about a 19 minute parkrun, as he was attached to one of the other runners!

Parkrun is fun though... only place you can beat a dog or get beaten by a pram... and I've experienced both!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The dog probably also ran about a 19 minute parkrun, as he was attached to one of the other runners!

Parkrun is fun though... only place you can beat a dog or get beaten by a pram... and I've experienced both!

I was out sprinted by a toilet (water aid) on the home run of the first Brighton marathon.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
23:00 at Leicester Park Run this morning. Distinctly average performance but nice to do a new course, and friendly banter from local runners when I got the shout out as a visitor from Brighton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Shaved a whopping one second off my SB time - 21.43! It took one hell of a spirit at the end to get there, but mission accomplished [emoji23] Thanks to [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] for providing a target. It made all the difference.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here