Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure if any of you did the Henfield Half today.....if you did, I was one of the twats running in the opposite direction (I was in a Centurion tee shirt) in the first couple of miles as me and my pal came to the end of our 15 miler.......

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
@GNT updated and moved up the table. [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] 10k pb edited. Quick calculation shows I need to get 20:22 after November and everyone else slow down.

As a 51 year old heading into week 6 of couch to 5K I'm having a hard time getting my head around someone doing 10K in 36:55. Some days around here I can't drive 10K in 36:55.

Also - Flying over on Sunday so my week 7 runs will be in London, Covent Garden area. I've never run in London before, are the banks of the Thames the best bet?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As a 51 year old heading into week 6 of couch to 5K I'm having a hard time getting my head around someone doing 10K in 36:55. Some days around here I can't drive 10K in 36:55.

Also - Flying over on Sunday so my week 7 runs will be in London, Covent Garden area. I've never run in London before, are the banks of the Thames the best bet?

Thames Path is lovely....I do a lot of lunchtime runs from work along the river, although mostly East End/City. From Covent Garden, go over Waterloo Bridge and head east along the South Bank to Tower Bridge, then head along the Highway Eastwards. Failing that, go to Hyde Park or Green Park.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Enjoy your visit. There are some parts of our great capital city were being able to run fast would be a distinct advantage. There are some great parkruns in London and the guys who have complied this listing have very cleverly mapped them as per the London underground.

https://londonist.com/london/sport/london-parkrun

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Worthing in perfect conditions. 21:13 an SB and (therefore) a slightly improved AG of 77.61%. Just pushed the bar a bit higher for [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] but to add insult to injury I should be most grateful if he could adjust the table accordingly (albeit with gritted teeth).

First parkrun since about Feb today due to injury. Moderately happy with 21:45 (68.9% AG). Forgot my watch which might have been a good thing as ran to effort and stayed steady throughout. Something to work on. Good to see [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] on his way to the park.

Glad I skipped Parkrun was considering the Prom or Worthing. Decided to listen to my body and had coffee instead. If I had turned up at either, my mind would have taken over the legs when I saw either of you. I'd have gone flat out, especially after the returning from injury666, and not have been in a position to finish strongly enough for those times and ended up demoralised and knackered.
#never finished in front of Dazzer #GNT legs are rejuvenated

Instead all of the 5lb chicken from Shoreham is now in my stomach with loads of wine and I'm ready to go again after 8 days rest that seemed never ending. First meat eaten since post Moyleman marathon in March.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Saw Graham Godden out running this morning and he stopped for a chat. He reckons that with the right training, I can get my 5k times down to 18-something, post-ironman :lol: I literally laughed in his face! I mean, I reckon I can work on it a bit to get a new PB (my 20:54 was a LONG time ago), but another two minutes off that? Nah. I still think he was winding me up :)

I'll give it a go though – 5k is going to be my new focus after September. Looking forward to the shorter training sessions!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I tested out my feet with a gentle 22:06 parkrun in Witney, Oxfordshire yesterday. The bad news was by the time I got to Watford they were feeling painful again and walking to the ground from the car was uncomfortable. But since then they have felt quite good and I managed 10k this morning with no problems since. Despite the slight setback yesterday, I’m hopeful the worst of the plantar fasciitis is behind me.

The plan for this week is to get a decent number of KMs on the board as I can feel I’m starting to lose a bit of cardio fitness. I’ve done three slow parkruns in a row now and even they have had me blowing a bit harder than I should be. I think I’m still a few weeks away from being able to go fast again, so in the meantime it’s just a case of trying to keep a base level through regular slower runs.

Don't take this the wrong way but getting a 'decent number of kms on the board' isn't really the sensible the way to go when getting over PF - go back up gradually..........be careful out there, if it gets chronic you'll risk being out for months.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Saw Graham Godden out running this morning and he stopped for a chat. He reckons that with the right training, I can get my 5k times down to 18-something, post-ironman :lol: I literally laughed in his face! I mean, I reckon I can work on it a bit to get a new PB (my 20:54 was a LONG time ago), but another two minutes off that? Nah. I still think he was winding me up :)

I'll give it a go though – 5k is going to be my new focus after September. Looking forward to the shorter training sessions!

Shall I pencil you in the running table at 18:54?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Just registered for a 5K in Monterey Bay when I'm in California in November. Looks like a fast course, so I'm hoping to SWOOP in and take a place towards the top of the leaderboard. I don't think I'll be anywhere near troubling [MENTION=17139]Capricorn[/MENTION] but I should be pushing for a 18.XX time.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Just entered 13 the Hard Way on Saturday. Any tips [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] ? Will be using it as my LSR this weekend as away on sunday (and missing the game :-( ). Should be running 16 miles this week - does the ‘hard way’ act as a 3 mile handicap?

£25 entry seemed a bit steep - I thought trail events were cheap?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Just entered 13 the Hard Way on Saturday. Any tips [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] ? Will be using it as my LSR this weekend as away on sunday (and missing the game :-( ). Should be running 16 miles this week - does the ‘hard way’ act as a 3 mile handicap?

The good news is it’s 13.8 miles the bad news is it’s the toughest run I’ve done outside of a marathon. Would love to do it again but this Saturday is my son’s 4th birthday party.

Tough up hill first mile, followed by 6 steady down hill miles then it becomes tough with 6 up and then a horrible 1 mile downhill where you have no control on tired legs. A great challenge and race and with your recent mileage, you should do well.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hastings is good. Trouble with the prom course is that on any given day it might be blowing up a gale.

I got 20:19 two summers ago there. The steward had stopped us at the pier and told us to turn for home. After a good 10 seconds arguing we ignored her and ran onto the halfway point. Weather was perfect.

I'm only going to get 3 attempts in November as have another 4 week trek to EBC in Nepal planned after that. So I will be flexible to fit course to weather. I'm not sure I'll be able to beat my freak, for me, SB from May but might as well set it up.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I’m supposed to be doing the 30 miler (although not done more than 15m since March so might be a bit stoopid).

13 THW will be easily worth 16 normal miles. The first mile or so is an absolute dog of a climb up to the ridge (known as the Tank Tracks).....it’s then simply follow the SDW to Housedean Farm layby, eat some biscuits and then run back. Although the steepest climb is at the start, I’d say the second half on the way back is probably harder - steep climb away from Housedean, long climb up towards Black Cap......so don’t go mad early on !

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I’m supposed to be doing the 30 miler (although not done more than 15m since March so might be a bit stoopid).

13 THW will be easily worth 16 normal miles. The first mile or so is an absolute dog of a climb up to the ridge (known as the Tank Tracks).....it’s then simply follow the SDW to Housedean Farm layby, eat some biscuits and then run back. Although the steepest climb is at the start, I’d say the second half on the way back is probably harder - steep climb away from Housedean, long climb up towards Black Cap......so don’t go mad early on !

Good advice. It was hot last year and I emptied the tank too much on the downhill. I was reduced to a walk run for some of the steeper sections, coming home.

I still finished sixth so would love to do it again as I’m probably in better shape than last year.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Too expensive for tight wads currently lacking mileage but I may borrow the Beagle and head out there to give some verbal support I'll try not to have him on the narrow path coming down to the finish........

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here