Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Waiting to hear from the Lunartics. Just been out for a 10m LSD and had to shorten it to 8 miles. Heavy going. Still around 200 partying and drinking on the beach between the Piers. Now for a recovery stroll along the sand on the super low tide.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Big thanks to [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] for shining a light and keeping me going! Heroic scenes, my gift of being always unprepared struck again. No headtorch! Like a fool. Eventually able to borrow one from a checkpoint so he could he crack on but I killed his time and I apologise!

I eventually dragged myself over the line in 4:39:54 - I blew up around 17odd milesish and had very little left. All of me is aching and in pain this morning but after some rest I will start a proper training schedule for San Sebastian.

Great race, lovely along the river banks and definitely one I want to put right next year. Also good to see [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] at the start, having discarded his cloak!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Big thanks to [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] for shining a light and keeping me going! Heroic scenes, my gift of being always unprepared struck again. No headtorch! Like a fool. Eventually able to borrow one from a checkpoint so he could he crack on but I killed his time and I apologise!

I eventually dragged myself over the line in 4:39:54 - I blew up around 17odd milesish and had very little left. All of me is aching and in pain this morning but after some rest I will start a proper training schedule for San Sebastian.

Great race, lovely along the river banks and definitely one I want to put right next year. Also good to see [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] at the start, having discarded his cloak!

The truth is I was pretty much done in myself and glad of the company. With you not finding the route I got lost on the final loop I ended up following a corn field that fortunately bought me back to one of the footpath gates. I startled another runner by coming out of the field and I think he thought I'd taken a short cut.
Garmin says I did it in 4:07 but strava 4:15 so I'm waiting for an official time. Congrats to [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] great time on a tough course. So much going on down by the river bank on a Saturday night, it's clearly the place to be. Think falmer station 10 mins after final whistle.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The truth is I was pretty much done in myself and glad of the company. With you not finding the route I got lost on the final loop I ended up following a corn field that fortunately bought me back to one of the footpath gates. I startled another runner by coming out of the field and I think he thought I'd taken a short cut.
Garmin says I did it in 4:07 but strava 4:15 so I'm waiting for an official time. Congrats to [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] great time on a tough course. So much going on down by the river bank on a Saturday night, it's clearly the place to be. Think falmer station 10 mins after final whistle.

I was glad of the company as well, made the race far more pleasant! Sorry to hear you took a misstep, although nobody who knows me would believe I followed the right path and successfully navigated myself the whole way! I'll definitely use that loop as part of training in future, it was a lovely place to run to.

I'm not feeling too bad today which is odd, I was expecting to be feeling worse in the general leg area! Admittedly, I haven't moved much so far.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
I was glad of the company as well, made the race far more pleasant! Sorry to hear you took a misstep, although nobody who knows me would believe I followed the right path and successfully navigated myself the whole way! I'll definitely use that loop as part of training in future, it was a lovely place to run to.

I'm not feeling too bad today which is odd, I was expecting to be feeling worse in the general leg area! Admittedly, I haven't moved much so far.

The blind leading the blind....

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well done Loonies, great event again ! Ok-ish for me up to about 20m, then had a bit of cramp and more painfully turned my ankle just after the last aid station. Happy with 4.24 all things considered. Ankle slightly sore this morning otherwise no aches and pains

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Great to see everyone last night..and great running. Lots of walkers out last night..anyone know what they were upto?..where they anything to do with that party in the tent, near the bridge?

But yeah another great race by STE.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Link here to the photos my good pal Jon Lavis took last night - feel free to download and use as you wish

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jel183/sets/72157671381131376

Looks a great event. Well done. Envious but I struggle over 7 miles at the moment due to hammering it at my attempt at fast. Only another month of that then back to longer runs. Played spot the NSC runner.
Spotted you all except the Scarlet Pimpernel unless he's trimmed his face bush a bit. Your vest stands out in any photo you're in, the Harmonica seems to have adopted a trail runners tactic of the number on the shorts (I may copy when allowed), and Ninja is wearing the colours of Spain for San Sebastien.
Great fun.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Looks a great event. Well done. Envious but I struggle over 7 miles at the moment due to hammering it at my attempt at fast. Only another month of that then back to longer runs. Played spot the NSC runner.
Spotted you all except the Scarlet Pimpernel unless he's trimmed his face bush a bit. Your vest stands out in any photo you're in, the Harmonica seems to have adopted a trail runners tactic of the number on the shorts (I may copy when allowed), and Ninja is wearing the colours of Spain for San Sebastien.
Great fun.

The Scarlet Pimpernel never reveals his identity. ... But on this occasion..207

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Down Tow Up Flow half marathon for me today. Windsor to Marlow, nearly all along the Thames, a fab place to run. Towpath was a bit rough, bumpy, tree roots and narrow in places and 2 lots of steps up and down to two bridges to cross the Thames. It was very humid and I do struggle with cups of water, finally decided to stop at one water station and refuel properly - I was a bit like a steam train taking on water. Official time was 2.04.46 so my second fastest ever HM (2.03.47 at Brighton this year still my PB) and just quicker than my North West London half which was 2.04.54. So just one important race left for me now, Reykjavik Marathon on the 20th August, running for the Martlets Hospice

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Mark-Raven1

Any pennies gratefully accepted

https://www.strava.com/activities/652251905
Cheers

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The Scarlet Pimpernel never reveals his identity. ... But on this occasion..207

Yes I got that one. Trimmed face bush since you last flew by on the SDW in February. I also got the sheepdog with his pensioner owner from Hove Parkrun. He was in the Three Forts, Brighton Marathon pacemaker (but I fell off his train) and generally running around.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Really pleased with my run this morning, was not sure how I would get to 16 miles at a decent pace after Parkrun but set my stool out by hovering. under 6.50's comfortably for the first loop. Put some water out last night at the 4/12 mile point which turned out to be a really good idea and I dropped a bottle at the start/8 mile point plus a headband which I swapped at 8 miles. The last loop of 8 started well but when I got to the last 5k my legs. We're getting heavier so I said keep it all under 7's and focused on my stride & arms throughout to achieve this. Looking back a sub 19 Parkrun prob took the edge of the last few miles but still pleased with the result. I had planned to only run 15 this week but decided to run 16 to push me up a week on my summer training plan. This will give me an extra week before RNR.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1269651979

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes I got that one. Trimmed face bush since you last flew by on the SDW in February. I also got the sheepdog with his pensioner owner from Hove Parkrun. He was in the Three Forts, Brighton Marathon pacemaker (but I fell off his train) and generally running around.

The sheepdog is called Butch.......very common sight on local trail marathons with his owner, who completed his 100th marathon on Saturday night. There was a cake at the end for him (and some soggy treats for Butch). He was given runner no. 100 for the race too. Finished about 10 mins after me.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's a funny old game as they say. I did what was supposed to be an easy 30 mins last night. Legs felt like lead, breathing all over the place. Horrible. Doesn't bode well for 26 miles tonight.....

Cracking run there fella.........you're ahead of me at the moment. Prom is a boring route but I think it's the fastest of the B&H courses. Hearing Worthing is a flyer as well so might have to give that a go next time I have to do one.

Worthing wasn't exactly a flyer for me on Saturday! After planning on sub-22, I went 23.04 – combination of heat and running every day (plus carrying a bit too much timber) did for me. Decent eight miles yesterday morning though, which was a relief...

Was hoping to get down to the river on Saturday night, but Daddy Day(night)care got in the way. Definitely up for Lunar-Tic next year – sounds like great fun.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
On for Hasting's Parkrun Saturday.Just done 4 half mile intervals @ 6:20 pace. 2 min recovery. Hard to pace as 2 done with wind and 2 into wind.
For sub 20 need 6:26.(without intervals) so need a miracle. Will do 2 easy days running tomorrow and Thursday. Forecast Saturday fine with slight 7mph wind. Will aim at 6:30, 6:26, for mile 1 and 2 then try and hang on and make up the the 4 seconds.It will be a do or die effort. Looking forward to racing myself the running equivalent of a masochistic w**k.

After that it's back to mileage for a couple of weeks, unless someone suggests a NSC Parkrun Challenge day........

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
No Park Run for me this weekend with the Brighton Trailblazer 10k Sunday. Hamstring feeling a little better and managed 5.75 miles in 7:04 per mile yesterday, which represents something of a comeback to form as most training runs have been 7:09-7:20 of late.

Would really like to get another long run in soon, preferably 10 miles+ having just entered the Barns Green half in September.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here