Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Really solid 45 mins with run squad tonight. Paced at 7:15s but nearer. 7:09 in the end. 10k in <44:30. Very pleased with that.

Good effort, how much of a difference for yourself has it been running as part of a club?

I've had a look at the Run Squad brunch runs on a Sunday and may well get along to a few. The 14 miler the week before the Worthing Half looks ideal prep. I know you have to book in advance have the sessions been busy?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good effort, how much of a difference for yourself has it been running as part of a club?

I've had a look at the Run Squad brunch runs on a Sunday and may well get along to a few. The 14 miler the week before the Worthing Half looks ideal prep. I know you have to book in advance have the sessions been busy?

Very difficult to get into. They won't have me. Something to do with me buying my trainers from TK Maxx and not the man himself, Nick Rivett at Inter-sport. They can't stop you tagging along, can they?

Just read this. Looks like you can Join Simgull at weekends. http://nickrivettsport.co.uk/run-squad/

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Very difficult to get into. They won't have me. Something to do with me buying my trainers from TK Maxx and not the man himself, Nick Rivett at Inter-sport. They can't stop you tagging along, can they?

With the Sunday runs you don't need to be a member, it's open to all as long as you register in advance. 8am is quite early for me but look like perfect half and full marathon prep.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
With the Sunday runs you don't need to be a member, it's open to all as long as you register in advance. 8am is quite early for me but look like perfect half and full marathon prep.

Yes, you're right I just edited my post. Good luck in getting in.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Another 1 mile PB (6.46) and 5 k PB (21.17) this morning...not much against some of you fit *******s but a significant improvement where I was for last years Brighton training and still on an improving trajectory. Despite being mentally exhausted from lack of sleep.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Another 1 mile PB (6.46) and 5 k PB (21.17) this morning...not much against some of you fit *******s but a significant improvement where I was for last years Brighton training and still on an improving trajectory. Despite being mentally exhausted from lack of sleep.

Good training not sure about the sleep deprivation. I always thought I was a long distance runner but age seems to push me more to middle distance. Last summer I was 26 seconds faster on a mile and a minute on 5k BUT up the distance and run a marathon and you're a good 40" plus faster. **** I must sort this out.
When you've finished the marathon I'd tip you for going well under 21 for a 5k.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

I've found joining a club really beneficial. I thrive on variety otherwise I get bored so a different approach to running i.e. joining a club, really helps me after doing a lot of running on my own the previous year. Run Squad is very community spirited and is definitely a running club rather than an athletics club like Arena or Phoenix - there is not much formal coaching other than picking up tips from more experienced runners of which there are some pretty strong performers to learn from. On the other hand there is strong social streak and a lot done to raise money for charity. Also naturally it motivates you - last night It would have been very tempting not to go out due to the cold but I'd already committed myself to pacing so had to go - and then of course thoroughly enjoyed it. Its also taught me how to warm up/down properly which I think is a massive benefit. Finally as well as Wednesday night sessions there are always unofficial runs organised for Friday, Saturday and Sunday - generally on the Downs which are great.

Comments above are correct - Brunch Runners on Sunday is open to all. Since November its been targeted at the spring HM/Marathons with a programme of increasing mileage which was designed by a top local coach. I think maximum group size is 50, which is split into paced groups at 8min/miles upwards. All runs now start from the Big Beach Café at Hove Lagoon and end with brunch there. Generally you need to sign up a week in advance but there is a waiting list process and there are always some drop outs (even at 4am on Sunday morning) - I've never failed to get in when I've wanted to.
Only downside is the runs so far have all been on-road, partly to familiarise people with the marathon course, I much prefer to get out on the Downs at the weekend.

Although TRS is full there does seem to be a lot of new members at the moment so maybe waiting list times have come down - I know they are being quite strict on the 4 no shows and you're out rule.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
A gentle 5.05 miles in 40m 01s (7.55/ml) this evening with a left ankle that's feeling much more comfortable. 2 more weeks and normal service will [hopefully] resume.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Following up on the Spine comments yesterday, even if you're not interested in the slightly more extreme end of the sport, you won't fail to be inspired by these mentalists........really worth a watch.

https://www.facebook.com/TheSpineRace/videos/1293946580693034/

Those leaders were in absolute bits. I can't even begin to imagine the pain they were going through coupled with the sleep deprivation, which obviously can cause people to make bad decisions that can end up making things worse. The poor guy in 3rd who climbed an extra 700m at the end because he couldn't read his GPS! Amazing feat of endurance!

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
First ever Park Run today. Lovely conditions in Hove Park.

Official time of 22.07 (my GPS tracker had 21.40, so must get nearer the start line next time!) which I'm happy with as still shedding the weight gained over Xmas!

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Nightmare - just as back into training I have a pull in the adductor muscle on my inner thigh. Any idea what the best plan is? Just rest it, or stretching, or anything else? Need it to heal quickly if I am to be ready for my March half marathon.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
17.5 mile run this morning and it was freezing here in Devon
Good time of 2 hrs 34 mins and on target for Brighton Marathon
Highlight was 6 Argyle fans singing Seagulls as I ran across the bridge at Tiverton Parkway in my Albion Top

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
17.5 mile run this morning and it was freezing here in Devon
Good time of 2 hrs 34 mins and on target for Brighton Marathon
Highlight was 6 Argyle fans singing Seagulls as I ran across the bridge at Tiverton Parkway in my Albion Top

Oooh, couple of miles from where I'm from. Spent hundreds of hours fishing in the ponds beside Tiverton Parkway.......wasn't even a station there then......

Good running. Pretty undulating around there, not a lot of flat.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
First Park Run since the final weekend in October and really enjoyed it. Freezing cold but a lovely day and felt pretty comfortable throughout.

16th place in 19:37 still lacking a little bit in confidence to really push it, but next week if conditions are ok I could take at least ten seconds of today.

Was feeling pretty positive then felt a twinge in my knee walking up my stairs so I'll get out tomorrow but take it really easy. Will head up for Dyke Road then over the Dyke towards Shoreham.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Nightmare - just as back into training I have a pull in the adductor muscle on my inner thigh. Any idea what the best plan is? Just rest it, or stretching, or anything else? Need it to heal quickly if I am to be ready for my March half marathon.

Bad luck. I sit on the floor for that one legs open in front and keeping back straight stretched head down and frontwards until stretch is felt. Do after gentle warm up, don't overstretch at first and don't do if injury feels wrong. There are 3 or 4 other stretches you may need as well.
My achilles went again today so Jesus's magic hands failed to heal me. Calf feels fine so slightly worried but will get on with cycling, swimming and the allotment.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Bad luck. I sit on the floor for that one legs open in front and keeping back straight stretched head down and frontwards until stretch is felt. Do after gentle warm up, don't overstretch at first and don't do if injury feels wrong. There are 3 or 4 other stretches you may need as well.
My achilles went again today so Jesus's magic hands failed to heal me. Calf feels fine so slightly worried but will get on with cycling, swimming and the allotment.

Will give it a go - thanks

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

If it's a fairly minor pull/tear, 3-4 days rest/gentle stretching should sort it, just go very gently when you start back up - start with walk/run of 1-2 mins each then extend the running. You can get back to 100% running within a couple of sessions providing no pain felt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here