Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Thanks! I'm at Delamere parkrun in Cheshire tomorrow on the way to Everton. I'm definitely up for joining you guys for a jog around Hove Park soon though, it's been too long since Bevendean!
Is that in Delamere Forest? We stopped off there when we went to Old Trafford in November. Nice spot

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Post script. The official results have me at 25.30 and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] at 24.59 when we crossed the line together. I assume caused by the massive FAFF I was doing looking for my bar code. So, for once, I'm taking the unofficial watch time. 25.00 just looks SO much better :p

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Official results not in yet but my watch shows 25.00 dead for Hove Park this morning thanks to great pacing / encouragement from [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] (thanks mate). Also great to catch up with [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]

Don't carb load with wine, kids.

Good fast finish you got in today. Parkrun has you down +30 seconds. I've checked your Strava and it was certainly 25" so maybe the finish barcodes were out of sequence? Mine tallied exactly today.

Good pacing by the Bobkin.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not quite sure where they got 25:30 from GB...

Good to see you and Mr 27-min (ahem) [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] [emoji848]
f5e4388d5605f03a8e26f9d25b0cc838.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
... and I skipped parkrun this morning due to a hopefully minor groin issue. I'm not going to skip my long run tomorrow but I might take some seconds per mile off the pace.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Post script. The official results have me at 25.30 and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] at 24.59 when we crossed the line together. I assume caused by the massive FAFF I was doing looking for my bar code. So, for once, I'm taking the unofficial watch time. 25.00 just looks SO much better :p

Nah.....you’re clocked on a watch as you get given you’re finishing token - wouldn’t matter if you took 10 mins to find your own barcode.......good effort though [emoji106][emoji106]

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
21:58 for me, happy enough with that. My son was doing the stop watch today [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] - I’ll have a word and get him to give you a better time next week!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It had to happen. 2 days after saying how few injuries among the NSC faithful there seem to be I dropped out of the Hove Prom parkrun after 9 minutes with a calf.. I hexed myself.

Sorry to hear that. At the moment I'm scared to walk across the room........This blocks the Macbeth Curse maybe you should try it.

To stop the curse theoffender must step outside, turn around three times, spit, and say the foulest word he/she can think of, and wait for permission to re-enter the NSC running group.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes, it’s a very nice place. Not the easiest parkrun though. It’s a hilly and uneven 1km to a lake, a 3km lap of the lake (flat but poorly surfaced and very wet) and then the 1km stretch back to the start/finish. Even at my best I think I’d have struggled to go much below 21:00, today with the after effects of a pretty terrible week I had no energy at all and stumbled round in 21:54. I’d love to say I took it easy but the reality is I just didn’t have anymore than that today. The fact I finished 19th out of 339 on a bad week gives me some reassurance that part of my poor time was down to it being a hard course. But mainly it was just a poor run for me.

Most importantly though it means I’ve ticked off D on my parkrun alphabet!

Very impressive Parkrun alphabet you're accumulating and a great Albion away day link to a lot of them. Well done.

Yesterday I ran Hove Park at over 3" off pace. Had a few good chats, squeezed into small groups to use them to play 800m boxing in games, sprinted off at various times and then sat back. Great fun, no time pressure and excellent fun. Forgetting time is a great way to achieve active recovery.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
20.4 miles in 3:06 this morning- Hove to Peacehaven and back. Tough but made it - only one more long run to go!
Feeling 3:50 to 4:00 may be In sight if conditions are favourable.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
20.4 miles in 3:06 this morning- Hove to Peacehaven and back. Tough but made it - only one more long run to go!
Feeling 3:50 to 4:00 may be In sight if conditions are favourable.

Should be easily. Impressive running, after yesterday I could barely manage anything. I trust the house was in one piece when you got back? :lol:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Surrey Half replaced a 15 mile run today, finished in a new pb of 1:24:23.9, marathon training clearly helps with stamina!

That's an outstanding run and I'm pleased you weren't around for the NSC HM battle at Worthing or Brighton as Ninja & myself would have been half a mile behind.

That's sub 40 minute 10k pace all the way round, so hats off.

You're right about marathon training it sets you up nicely for the half distance. My best half run came in the middle of marathon training when I was running between 15-17 miles quite regularly. This year I had a 15.5 mile run the first week in January but nothing up to or past distance in the 4 week's leading up.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I withdrew from my long run today, my hip/groin is not right and needs a few days rest. I'm going to take a few days off and do plenty of stretching and core work.

It's a definite blow to my sub 3 ambitions but I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket. If I can't make it happen in Brighton, I'll target another marathon. I'm steaming into a 3 hour marathon this year, even if it kills me training for it!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Thanks [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], I really felt the benefits in the last few miles where the course starts to undulate.

It was good weather for running today, and a friend of mine also ran a pb, and was enthusiastically telling me how he clocked best times for 5k, 10k and 10 mile to boot. He came top ten in his age category as well. Now, that was outstanding.

All in all, a pleasing day... 20 miles next weekend.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You can teach an old dog the tricks he already knows but brain fuddled by 60 days without alcohol has caused me to feel more hydrated every morning.

So set off today for 13.1 mile final taper run to Dyke and back today. Relaxed mood as short run after 20 miles the other week. Had the usual cashew, brazil, almond, macadamia, all ground, chia seed, linseed, goji berries, banana, raisins, buckwheat and coconut oil breakfast. Preceded by usual 8 espressos. Foolishly did not have any water this morning and did not take any on the run. 2 hours later I was ********. Lost 6lbs in weight. Have drunk 7 pints water and water/juice drinks since but have only dribbled out a delightful wine glass of orange coloured pee. Feeling better now and will certainly get fluid down me today and all week. Good news the breakfast works well on a run.

Great run [MENTION=67]Curious Orange[/MENTION]. Hopefully I'll get near that pace in a 5K once this year. Like the way you got in the undulating course unlike flat as a pancake Worthing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here