Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I'll be an interested spectator for the BM in April and can see @Curious Orange & @Ninja Elephant having a decent race based on their existing pb's

It is just a shame that my closest pb is for only half the distance!! :laugh:

I think that with the added incentive of being NSC #1 will help. :thumbsup: You're on!

... I'll settle for NSC #1 in my age category if it means I get a good for age place at London in 2019! :cool:

Perhaps our Australian friend could be persuaded to come over to take the pressure off of both of us!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Race, marathon, NSC Challenge for sub 3 hours. Well set up.

@Herr Tubthumper could join in on @Dazzers now available entry?

Just to clarify my attempt will be in Berlin in September 2018. I like the idea of the NSC sub-3 challenge though.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I’ve got an entry - will see how the training goes but hope to take part.

Ran a glorious 10 miles at dawn along the frozen banks of the River Wharfe past Bolton Abbey yesterday - can’t beat that kind of run really.

Sorry if you already know this but if you don't fancy it nearer the time, you can switch to the 10k if you still want to take part in the whole kahuna. Bonus is you can spend the aftermath telling anyone who'll disbelievingly listen that you finished really quickly

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
How many of us are running the Brighton Marathon 2018?
Yep. Not a fan of the course, but had serious FOMO last year so signed up and will attempt sub-4 again...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yep. Not a fan of the course, but had serious FOMO last year so signed up and will attempt sub-4 again...

We'll catch a slower train this year. I'm in no hurry and may go for the 3:59:59 but can put up with any delays.....

What's FOMO?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We'll catch a slower train this year. I'm in no hurry and may go for the 3:59:59 but can put up with any delays.....

What's FOMO?
Fear of missing out. We were up at a friend's house and all the stories and results came in. It made me want to be part of it.

A time of 3.59.59 is ok for me. Under 3.57 of I'm being really picky. We'll see - a lot of training to be done first!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
1,000 miles for the year achieved for the first time. Had to finish with a 35 mile week which is about 7 more than my next highest and 103 miles in a month my biggest tally ever. Small fry to the Ultra lunatics but pleased to have accomplished this and keen to keep up the mileage into next year, although I need a sports massage desperately.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
1,000 miles for the year achieved for the first time. Had to finish with a 35 mile week which is about 7 more than my next highest and 103 miles in a month my biggest tally ever. Small fry to the Ultra lunatics but pleased to have accomplished this and keen to keep up the mileage into next year, although I need a sports massage desperately.

Smaller fry here but could not be happier. 51 hilly miles run in the last 2 weeks of 2017 is 33% of my total 150 miles for the last 16 months (Strava included a few walks).

Meant to say well done on the Millenium.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Happy New Year run chums. Thanks for the great stories, advice and support on this thread.

I’m on for the Parkrun double in the morning - see some of you there?

D

Deleted member 2719

The Garmin heart rate monitor straps (chest two pads on elastic).

Are they accurate??? because they had me on 199bpm max heart rate when for my age i should be on 166bpm a couple of days ago.

I have just stuck it on to test my resting heart rate, my resting heart rate two days ago was 74bpm and as i type this after tightening it up its 50bpm.

1) Which is likely to be right?
2) Should they fluctuate much?
3) is there a trick to get them giving you reliable results?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The Garmin heart rate monitor straps (chest two pads on elastic).

Are they accurate??? because they had me on 199bpm max heart rate when for my age i should be on 166bpm a couple of days ago.

I have just stuck it on to test my resting heart rate, my resting heart rate two days ago was 74bpm and as i type this after tightening it up its 50bpm.

1) Which is likely to be right?
2) Should they fluctuate much?
3) is there a trick to get them giving you reliable results?

Licking or putting water on the contact point may help.

You can check heart rate manually by counting pulse from inside wrist against a watch to see if the hrm is working correctly.

D

Deleted member 2719

Licking or putting water on the contact point may help.

You can check heart rate manually by counting pulse from inside wrist against a watch to see if the hrm is working correctly.

I must admit i did add a bit of spit today!! but i didn't a couple of days ago.

I checked my pulse manually and 50 bpm was right , however i just walked upstairs for a waz and it jumped up to 73bpm.

Would it really beat that much faster for taking a few steps???

And could i have really been pushing the 199bpm mark?

Sorry but i am such an amateur when it comes to this running lark!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
I must admit i did add a bit of spit today!! but i didn't a couple of days ago.

I checked my pulse manually and 50 bpm was right , however i just walked upstairs for a waz and it jumped up to 73bpm.

Would it really beat that much faster for taking a few steps???

And could i have really been pushing the 199bpm mark?

Sorry but i am such an amateur when it comes to this running lark!

It’s quite normal to worry about this and most of us new to a heart rate monitor have had similar concerns.
The first thing to consider is your still alive and I assume feeling fine. The second is to ignore the generic charts you’ll find on line as they are useless and used as very loose guidelines. If your resting heart rate is 50 odd that’s a pretty good indication your ok and frankly I’m jealous. I can’t brush my teeth without going over 100 and I use an electric brush. I once did a parkrun where I averaged 200 and peaked at 220. Think I was 48 at the time and from what I’d read on line I shouldn’t still be here to tell the tale.

D

Deleted member 2719

It’s quite normal to worry about this and most of us new to a heart rate monitor have had similar concerns.
The first thing to consider is your still alive and I assume feeling fine. The second is to ignore the generic charts you’ll find on line as they are useless and used as very loose guidelines. If your resting heart rate is 50 odd that’s a pretty good indication your ok and frankly I’m jealous. I can’t brush my teeth without going over 100 and I use an electric brush. I once did a parkrun where I averaged 200 and peaked at 220. Think I was 48 at the time and from what I’d read on line I shouldn’t still be here to tell the tale.

Okay thanks for your advice it's much appreciated.

I like to analyse a lot to see where i can make improvements etc and being a born again runner at approaching 54 i just felt do i need to back off the pace a bit, it's not that i am quick i am probably just running inefficiently!!

By the way i think you may need to stop scrubbing your teeth!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Happy new year running peeps..Hope all your running goals come good in 2018!

Happy new year!

It should be a good running year for me. My marathon training schedule officially starts tomorrow. This week sees daily "high" temperatures ranging between -8C and -19C, so I think I'll be mainly doing treadmill runs!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here