Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Sounds like you definitely need to get into the habit of stretching [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION].

Start simple, and touch your toes for the count of 10 first thing in the morning :wink:

You can add further stretches in as you learn them, I try to do about 10 minutes of stretching before I go to bed, and usually have a read while I'm doing them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Most of the stretches I do I have a hand free in which I can hold a book - so I hold the stretch position whilst I read a page, then switch position before moving on to the next page.

Obviously there are some stretches I can't read whilst I'm doing them!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sounds like you definitely need to get into the habit of stretching [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION].

Start simple, and touch your toes for the count of 10 first thing in the morning :wink:

You can add further stretches in as you learn them, I try to do about 10 minutes of stretching before I go to bed, and usually have a read while I'm doing them.

Thanks mate - appreciate the advice.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Anyone complaining about tightness should invest in a foam roller. Make sure it looks brutal too, not soft. Kills to begin with, but long term so good for stretching out.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I think this weekend marks 30 weeks until the Brighton marathon!

I have been steadily building up mileage and looking forward (gulp!) to my first half marathon at Barnes Green at the end of September. Anyone else doing this one? It sounds fun although a bit hilly.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Is there anyone that would like to run the marathon des sables?

Myself and a friend are hopefully running it in 2016, registration opens in April I believe and a deposit of about £500 is required. Total cost is just under £4,000 and that doesn't include the private medicals you have to have before hand. It's expensive I know, but well worth the money in my opinion!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Is there anyone that would like to run the marathon des sables?

Myself and a friend are hopefully running it in 2016, registration opens in April I believe and a deposit of about £500 is required. Total cost is just under £4,000 and that doesn't include the private medicals you have to have before hand. It's expensive I know, but well worth the money in my opinion!

In the ultra community see a lot of contrasting views on this.......from it being a complete 'must do' do 'an over-rated, expensive load of old b******s'. From what I have seen and heard and in relation to other events, I think there are many much harder races out there, not all are multi-stage. Personally don't like the heat much and prefer single hit events but I can understand the desire. How about something like the Anglesey 'Ring O Fire' ? Only three days and much cheaper, but not much easier.......

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think this weekend marks 30 weeks until the Brighton marathon!

I have been steadily building up mileage and looking forward (gulp!) to my first half marathon at Barnes Green at the end of September. Anyone else doing this one? It sounds fun although a bit hilly.

I'm doing BG, first half marathon for about 5 years (only done marathons and ultras but need to try to get faster, which means more short races).........it's not really that hilly compared with races on the Downs to be honest.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I'm doing BG, first half marathon for about 5 years (only done marathons and ultras but need to try to get faster, which means more short races).........it's not really that hilly compared with races on the Downs to be honest.

Were you involved in the race on the Downs on sunday? I was all proud of myself having run 12 miles from Ditchling Beacon to Lewes and back only to be met by a bunch of people covering 34 miles, most of them hardly looking out of breath!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Were you involved in the race on the Downs on sunday? I was all proud of myself having run 12 miles from Ditchling Beacon to Lewes and back only to be met by a bunch of people covering 34 miles, most of them hardly looking out of breath!

Ha ! Funnily enough no, I wasn't - I only did an hour on Sunday, but ran from Saddlescombe to Truleigh Hill and back and wondered what was going on at the Dyke before I realised (I went past about 8 I guess on the way out). One of my clubmates won the ultra last year but said it was a bit crap. Poor route marking and organisation etc.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
In the ultra community see a lot of contrasting views on this.......from it being a complete 'must do' do 'an over-rated, expensive load of old b******s'. From what I have seen and heard and in relation to other events, I think there are many much harder races out there, not all are multi-stage. Personally don't like the heat much and prefer single hit events but I can understand the desire. How about something like the Anglesey 'Ring O Fire' ? Only three days and much cheaper, but not much easier.......

I've always been keen to visit the Sahara and view running it more like a holiday. I choose all my marathons based on where I'd like to visit.

Am doing Chicago next month and the Mississippi blues marathon January.

That's my main reason for doing it. I watched that 2 part bbc documentary on it, and it did look ok. I agree there are harder ultras, badwater being one of them and would love to try it one day. But it's invitation only.....

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've always been keen to visit the Sahara and view running it more like a holiday. I choose all my marathons based on where I'd like to visit.

That's my main reason for doing it. I watched that 2 part bbc documentary on it, and it did look ok. I agree there are harder ultras, badwater being one of them and would love to try it one day. But it's invitation only.....

That's great, would love to be able to do that.........

Badwater is essentially finished as some f***wit Health and Safety twonk has put a whole load of new 'event rules' in place which essentially means it can't take place. There is uproar in the ultra world as it's such an iconic event

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
That's great, would love to be able to do that.........

Badwater is essentially finished as some f***wit Health and Safety twonk has put a whole load of new 'event rules' in place which essentially means it can't take place. There is uproar in the ultra world as it's such an iconic event

I read about that in my outdoor fitness magazine, from what I gather it's only a change in route and not necessarily for good. It sounds like the old health and safety peeps have got involved.... Typical

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've been getting more involved in running recently, I work at Preston Park so I tend to run at my lunch time during the week. I hit my 5km PB last Saturday morning in the Preston Park Parkrun, a cheeky 20:14. I'm aiming to smash that time tomorrow morning, anybody else going to be running it - and fancy pacesetting for a sub 20 minute time for me?! If not, I'll just sit in at the front and hope for the best.

I've been using the Strava app for sometime to track everything, and my current preferred distance is 10km, but I've committed to running a half marathon each month - just to mix it up a little bit. A friend of mine and I are going to be running the Brooks 10km in November, which will be emotional!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

I'm doing New Orleans Marathon in January!

...before that there is the small matter of SaltMarsh 75, a 2 stage race on October 4th/5th

http://www.saltmarsh75.co.uk/full-route-map-for-saltmarsh-75/

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've been getting more involved in running recently, I work at Preston Park so I tend to run at my lunch time during the week. I hit my 5km PB last Saturday morning in the Preston Park Parkrun, a cheeky 20:14. I'm aiming to smash that time tomorrow morning, anybody else going to be running it - and fancy pacesetting for a sub 20 minute time for me?! If not, I'll just sit in at the front and hope for the best.

I've been using the Strava app for sometime to track everything, and my current preferred distance is 10km, but I've committed to running a half marathon each month - just to mix it up a little bit. A friend of mine and I are going to be running the Brooks 10km in November, which will be emotional!

Impressive 5k-ing. I got down to 20:54 about 18 months ago, but not got anywhere near that since. Currently stuck at around 23 mins...

Good luck for tomorrow, NE.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That's bloody quick matey......well done.

Thanks Dazzer - I've steadily gotten quicker. Running most lunch times is doing wonders for my times, just getting the consistency going really. For a while I wasn't able to sleep very well, so I was running every morning which very quickly reduced my times. I'm caught between running and cycling at the moment.

Impressive 5k-ing. I got down to 20:54 about 18 months ago, but not got anywhere near that since. Currently stuck at around 23 mins...

Good luck for tomorrow, NE.

How often do you run? Do you run with anybody else? My times were fairly consistent and not greatly improving until I ran with someone much quicker which picked up my interest and times. Your running partner is very key, in my opinion. My lunch time runs are with a girl at work, if I didn't have company I doubt I'd be as consistent getting out there and doing it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks Dazzer - I've steadily gotten quicker. Running most lunch times is doing wonders for my times, just getting the consistency going really. For a while I wasn't able to sleep very well, so I was running every morning which very quickly reduced my times. I'm caught between running and cycling at the moment.

How often do you run? Do you run with anybody else? My times were fairly consistent and not greatly improving until I ran with someone much quicker which picked up my interest and times. Your running partner is very key, in my opinion. My lunch time runs are with a girl at work, if I didn't have company I doubt I'd be as consistent getting out there and doing it.

Agreed. Join a club......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here