Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The debate with Hans Kraay was that any professional footballer could run a sub 18 minute 5k.

My thoughts were that it would be a tough ask and maybe 50% at best could. Although I reckon the real figure is 25-33% would achieve.
I reckon most (non retired) professional footballers in the modern game could do sub 18 min 5K to be honest. The work rate that most outfield players put in these days is phenomenal.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
My opinion remains that, of the current Brighton squad, I think that Davy Pröpper would be the quickest over 5k. Bong would be among the slowest I think, but there's no way every member of the squad would be sub 18 and I suspect that the majority would struggle for a sub 20.

I think you’re severely underestimating their fitness. I know that most training will be based on short sprints, but sub 20 would be a breeze for them, even the big guys like Duffy.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I think you’re severely underestimating their fitness. I know that most training will be based on short sprints, but sub 20 would be a breeze for them, even the big guys like Duffy.

It’s a great debate. Would love to know the actual answer but not sure we ever will.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It’s a great debate. Would love to know the actual answer but not sure we ever will.

I base my conclusions on my rugby playing days when, due doing a lot more weight training, I weighed 13 st, and most of my fitness training was shuttle runs etc. Even then I was able to run 5K in sub 19. Yes I did have above average fitness on my team, but this was only at level 7 of the rugby pyramid, and I was working 5 days a week. I’m therefore fairly confident that elite level footballers that train 5-6 days a week and have teams of fitness coaches and nutritionists making sure they’re training at optimum levels and eating the right stuff would be able to run a 5K quicker.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I base my conclusions on my rugby playing days when, due doing a lot more weight training, I weighed 13 st, and most of my fitness training was shuttle runs etc. Even then I was able to run 5K in sub 19. Yes I did have above average fitness on my team, but this was only at level 7 of the rugby pyramid, and I was working 5 days a week. I’m therefore fairly confident that elite level footballers that train 5-6 days a week and have teams of fitness coaches and nutritionists making sure they’re training at optimum levels and eating the right stuff would be able to run a 5K quicker.

On the flip side Carl Froch who was renowned for having great stamina and fitness as a boxer was running 18 minutes for 3 miles at his best in training.

He would do a lot more endurance running then footballers and if he couldn’t run a sub 18 5k I’d say a fair few footballers couldn’t either.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I’ve just found Calde’s result from that sprint triathlon that he did for charity in 2013 (what a ledge). He did the run leg of that in 20:21 after having spent 20 mins swimming and 46 mins on the bike. For comparison, I did a sprint tri with a run leg time 20:25 in the same year that I set my 5K PB of 17:26.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I’ve just found Calde’s result from that sprint triathlon that he did for charity in 2013 (what a ledge). He did the run leg of that in 20:21 after having spent 20 mins swimming and 46 mins on the bike. For comparison, I did a sprint tri with a run leg time 20:25 in the same year that I set my 5K PB of 17:26.

Calde was a footballer with a keen interest in running. If he couldn't manage sub 20 in a relatively easy triathlon, I'd say he would be at least a minute off, maybe more on a flat out 5k.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Calde was a footballer with a keen interest in running. If he couldn't manage sub 20 in a relatively easy triathlon, I'd say he would be at least a minute off, maybe more on a flat out 5k.

You’re saying that Calde couldn’t run sub 20 in a flat 5K despite doing 20:21 in a triathlon?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Sub 18 5k

Ah ok. Still think he’d do 17 something though. Like I said, my PB is 17:26, which I set the same season that I did a sprint tri in which the run leg took me a couple of seconds longer to do than the Hairy Basque Face Scoring Legend.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hope the weather isn’t too iffy tonight........25 miles on the Ridgeway national trail will be a bit grim.

Good luck with that, I'd forgotten about you "having" to do that. Tomorrow is iffy in terms of heat / humidity and a chance of thunderstorms. Knowing my luck they'll appear just as I'm on the Roedean cliffs :eek:

Metoffice has it dry up till 6am but 18 degrees C at 1am!!

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Screenshot_20181013-185847.png

Looks like I may get a touch soggy tomorrow on the Leicester Half...

Any tips guys and girls?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Looks like I may get a touch soggy tomorrow on the Leicester Half...

Any tips guys and girls?

Little wind and a pleasant 13 degrees. Just accept you're going to get wet and don't over dress. Oh and get it over as quickly as possible :smile:. Enjoy your soggy run.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Little wind and a pleasant 13 degrees. Just accept you're going to get wet and don't over dress. Oh and get it over as quickly as possible :smile:. Enjoy your soggy run.

Will be wearing my long sleeve tech top but no jacket as I get too hot. Bin bag on the start line to keep the worst off early doors so I don't get too cold while we wait for the gun.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I forgot you can wear an old anorak until the start and leave it for charity or a bin bag with holes for your arms depending on your views on use of plastic.

Edit. You're on the ball, fired up and ready to go.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Question. Last Saturday I was blessed by this thing called a bulging disc in my back (lifting boxes). Could barely move for 3 days. It's all starting to feel a bit better today. Anyone had one before? How long did you wait before starting some gentle jogging?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Anybody doing the Shoreditch Adidas City Run in the morning? I'll be there with the Sussex Sport Photography team. Minging weather to be running in and a devil to keep the rain off your camera kit. Best of luck out there.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Question. Last Saturday I was blessed by this thing called a bulging disc in my back (lifting boxes). Could barely move for 3 days. It's all starting to feel a bit better today. Anyone had one before? How long did you wait before starting some gentle jogging?

Put a bag of frozen peas on it for 15 minutes every couple of hours. May not help but we’ll hear that initial scream.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good luck with that, I'd forgotten about you "having" to do that. Tomorrow is iffy in terms of heat / humidity and a chance of thunderstorms. Knowing my luck they'll appear just as I'm on the Roedean cliffs :eek:

Metoffice has it dry up till 6am but 18 degrees C at 1am!!

Just got back home......my runner had to drop out with knee problems. Couple of hours on the Downs in the morning instead it is......

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here