Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
It is in the blood.

My brother as you know ran for Sussex and England Vets, mind you his knee and back wasn't knackered like mine.

I thought you said you were a 15 min man or was that 15-sec man!!

Serious wheels on display here. At this pace you would leap to the very top of our own thread's league table and the rest of us would need to take up a more sedentary activity! Darts look fun.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Just tried to run 3 miles. Walking has not immediately helped! A hard 25” running round a circular exercise park built for the fat rich Brahmins to walk around. I won but couldn’t get going. Your excellent AG will not be bettered by me this year.

Brighton Marathon Windsor Standard Tri training has begun.....

It's not over until it's over...…….but I'm sure walking has a whole set of different bio-mechanics to running so some re-adjustment required.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
First day of organised 17 week marathon training plan this morning. Supposed to do some intervals at HM pace. Did them at 5K pace. I will never learn.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
It is in the blood.

My brother as you know ran for Sussex and England Vets, mind you his knee and back wasn't knackered like mine.

I thought you said you were a 15 min man or was that 15-sec man!!

I remember you saying music made you run fast. What do you listen to, German thrash metal remixed by a gabba DJ?

D

Deleted member 2719

Break through this morning while running 6k, over took a cyclist and left him behind, what a feeling that was.:O

Was it you [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] ???

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Have come home 10-14lbs down on weight.
Following my strict guidelines of not overdoing it when a skinny runt I will now be constantly eating and drinking, when not sleeping, for the next two weeks. Any running will be at a steady to slow pace.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Have come home 10-14lbs down on weight.
Following my strict guidelines of not overdoing it when a skinny runt I will now be constantly eating and drinking, when not sleeping, for the next two weeks. Any running will be at a steady to slow pace.

So, you'll be doing what everyone else is doing over Christmas.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Plans for runs/events over Festive season? Well it'll be the last chance for a season's best, but for most (all?) of us, unlikely.

Up to 4 parkrun opportunities between now and 31st and then 2 more on 01/01/19 (assuming 'doubles' on Xmas and New Year's days).

I recall at this time of year - in reflective mode - there's a chance to record running highs and lows of 2018. More lows than highs for me - a PW in a parkrun, but the high of (notwithstanding someone beating his season's PB over the next week or so) retaining the thread AG title. Most of my year seems to have been taken up with acquiring or nursing injuries together with the spectre of [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] chasing me down.

A dull year for me - but a chance for others to record their highs and lows?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Plans for runs/events over Festive season? Well it'll be the last chance for a season's best, but for most (all?) of us, unlikely.

Up to 4 parkrun opportunities between now and 31st and then 2 more on 01/01/19 (assuming 'doubles' on Xmas and New Year's days).

I recall at this time of year - in reflective mode - there's a chance to record running highs and lows of 2018. More lows than highs for me - a PW in a parkrun, but the high of (notwithstanding someone beating his season's PB over the next week or so) retaining the thread AG title. Most of my year seems to have been taken up with acquiring or nursing injuries together with the spectre of [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] chasing me down.

Congratulations Champ. Not many highs for me but a stepping stone for next year.
A return to running this year after 18 months almost down and out. Started with fun at the Moyleman in March that gave me a crap Brighton Marathon time, ran 20:32 at the Prom end of May that gave me a crap Worthing 10k week or so later, started track sessions at Withdean that took a few months to get used too my Parkrun runs being a minute slower. Achieved the highest AG of my life in November with a bit left in the tank.
2019 aims are; to beat [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] at Brighton Marathon (set my sights low!), get triathlon fit for Windsor in June and win the NSC AG Gold medal as I aim once again at a first sub 20 in 10 years.

Arena80 training and competition should help me out and I'll take note that age is knocking my recovery time between all out efforts.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I'm 7 weeks out from a marathon, so I'll be doing a lot of running over the festive season. Probably a 10k on Christmas Day to prepare for all that turkey.

It's been a great year for me.
Highs:
- Massive marathon PB in May
- Massive half marathon PB in September
- Finally did a 5K in November, very happy with the time
- A whole load of other great races including a couple of Ragnar relays
- Further than I've run any other year, by a long long way

Lows:
- Missed out on Boston 2019 by a minute and a half. Although, that was never actually my goal when I ran the marathon.

Looking forward to some more races in 2019, starting with Phoenix in February. I'm also moving up an age category, so potential for places!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
.......and I have decided to change the team selection for the Weakest Link Relay in June. Teams will be formulated before the day and be responsible for themselves. No more of the last minute changes sweeping through every team. I'm lucky to still have the job after leaving [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] to run with 3 strangers.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Rubbish year, in part due to a badly timed injury and in part due to sh*t family circumstances.......missed the the three races I really wanted to do (Grizzly Peak 50k in San Fran, SDW100 and Autumn 100). Rescued the year a bit with a couple of marathons towards the year-end including the 'Around the Albion' Amex-lapping giggle. No good times posted for anything, but last 2-3 months training has been solid so entering 2019 in hope, with a few challenges on the plan......................

Total mileage will be 400 or more down on last year due to 2.5 months out and periods of limited training, currently at 1,337, might add 50 to that between now and Dec 31st I guess.

This is still the best thread on NSC !

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
No PBs this year but highlights were thoroughly enjoying Brighton and Budapest marathons and finishing both in sub 4 hours and completing the Three Peaks in glorious summer weather (remember that?) and feeling so fortunate to have clear views from all three summits. All in all really enjoyed my running in 2019 in spite of a freak injury from an incident with a bicycle at Victoria Station.
In 2019 I’ll aim to complete my first Ultra (Three Forts ->27 miles!), I’d like to get below 21mins again for 5k and I think Warsaw marathon may be on the cards.
I’ll be at PP on Xmas Day and the Hove new year double - - hope to see some of you there.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Rubbish year, in part due to a badly timed injury and in part due to sh*t family circumstances.......missed the the three races I really wanted to do (Grizzly Peak 50k in San Fran, SDW100 and Autumn 100). Rescued the year a bit with a couple of marathons towards the year-end including the 'Around the Albion' Amex-lapping giggle. No good times posted for anything, but last 2-3 months training has been solid so entering 2019 in hope, with a few challenges on the plan......................

Total mileage will be 400 or more down on last year due to 2.5 months out and periods of limited training, currently at 1,337, might add 50 to that between now and Dec 31st I guess.

This is still the best thread on NSC !

Ive just checked your stats on Strava (before reading the rest of your post, as it turns out!). I know it's all relative, but that's far from a rubbish year! But you ARE right when you say it's the best thread on NSC.

I've had a funny old year – largely dominated by Ironman training (although I've done six marathons this year, which is a PB) and then the recovery from it, which has ultimately meant that I've fallen short of the regular 1,000 miles a year target. But it was worth it – what an event!

I'm currently sat at just over 850, but as we're buggering off on Christmas day, I've got no chance of getting to 900. Let's see what next year brings – interesting news from the Gaffer about Weakest Link. Definitely want to mix things up with more short stuff –but not 10ks, natch – as well as the marathons. Have a good festive break people – if anyone is around tomorrow, I'll be at Hove Park with Jnr Bobkin for his 4th/5th outing...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ive just checked your stats on Strava (before reading the rest of your post, as it turns out!). I know it's all relative, but that's far from a rubbish year! But you ARE right when you say it's the best thread on NSC.

I've had a funny old year – largely dominated by Ironman training (although I've done six marathons this year, which is a PB) and then the recovery from it, which has ultimately meant that I've fallen short of the regular 1,000 miles a year target. But it was worth it – what an event!

I'm currently sat at just over 850, but as we're buggering off on Christmas day, I've got no chance of getting to 900. Let's see what next year brings – interesting news from the Gaffer about Weakest Link. Definitely want to mix things up with more short stuff –but not 10ks, natch – as well as the marathons. Have a good festive break people – if anyone is around tomorrow, I'll be at Hove Park with Jnr Bobkin for his 4th/5th outing...

I'll be at Hove Park. Need to congratulate an Ironman. See you there.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Quite fancy parkrun after last weeks Prom misery, but need to do something a bit longer, and short of time so probably an early start......then off to Bournemouth obviously [emoji106][emoji106]

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

festive parkrun for me tomorrow at my home parkrun at Maldon Prom, then I'm RD on Christmas Day.
Planning to drive down to Worthing Prom to see how fast I can go on a flat, tarmac parkrun on the 29th before the Everton game.
NYD hopefully will be a Maldon/South Woodham Ferrers double.

I've had a year of coming back with a decent half marathon in Cambrils in March, a spell out in the summer nursing my achilles, whilst at the same time getting my LIRF qualification, and starting up a Tuesday Effort session with a local RunTogether group https://groups.runtogether.co.uk/MaldonSoulRunners/Runs/Summary/d3a383dc-a2d5-456c-9628-6a8cb2e0e24c

Managed my best 5k for four years a few weeks ago as I build my base and start training for my first Marathon for a few years, Barcelona in March, and have gone the whole hog and entered the 85k Menorca Trail, Costa Sud in May.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

So chuffed with a 10 mile PB in Bright10. Rest of the year was shit.

At Hove Prom tomorrow to baseline my speeds for marathon training. At a family party right now and have a dodgy neck & shoulder. Baseline might be iffy.

Happy Xmas & New Year to all I don’t see in the next few days. This thread is superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here