Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Must have been a pretty high standard at the Brighton 10k today. Some well known Brighton names came in down the order including Graham’s Godden down in 65th. The finish must have been great to watch - several runners within second of each other.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Cracking effort, you've clearly got a sub-38:30 in there somewhere!

Cheers. I’d like to think so. In hindsight the frustration is that when conditions were absolutely perfect 4 weeks ago I completely blew it by going off, far too fast.

I think the pressure of knowing conditions were perfect played a part as my first thought was take full advantage of this, as you rarely get everything in your favour.

A bit like a spinner on a 5th day pitch you lose your patience and keep trying to bowl the perfect ball each delivery, with no long term plan. By contrast today I bowled a couple of tidy maidens in my opening spell and built up a rhythm.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cheers. I’d like to think so. In hindsight the frustration is that when conditions were absolutely perfect 4 weeks ago I completely blew it by going off, far too fast.

I think the pressure of knowing conditions were perfect played a part as my first thought was take full advantage of this, as you rarely get everything in your favour.

A bit like a spinner on a 5th day pitch you lose your patience and keep trying to bowl the perfect ball each delivery, with no long term plan. By contrast today I bowled a couple of tidy maidens in my opening spell and built up a rhythm.

I bowled a nice steady spell for 20 overs, then got carted all over the park [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Going back to the annual mileage, I thought of an interesting (or possibly not) addition, while pounding the SDW yesterday morning. How many of your miles are racing ones. Mine's 144.1 – pretty light for me, with only one non-marathon event.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Going back to the annual mileage, I thought of an interesting (or possibly not) addition, while pounding the SDW yesterday morning. How many of your miles are racing ones. Mine's 144.1 – pretty light for me, with only one non-marathon event.

130.2 out of 1006.

10 Park Runs and 12 other races.

Two more to go which will get me up to 149.2

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Well, if Parkruns count, I make mine 187.4m so far this year (35 Parkruns, two half marathons and a marathon).

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Here's a bit of a thought, related to the idea of over-training: over-competing. For example, loads of people now run weekly parkruns; I guess the figures on this would be unbelievable compared with a couple of decades or so when despite the running boom, there were fewer of us doing it than these days. This is a good thing, of course.

But I wonder if weekly runs - which for many of us means trying to beat your PB every 7 days - is a sensible strategy. It could mean for some 50 or so weeks of trying to operate flat out and goes against the traditional ideas of peaking and (even more importantly) resting. I've fallen for this - you get into the mindset of:

a) if you are doing well, then pushing yourself for the shaving a few seconds which will deliver the PB/SB or

b) if you are doing badly, desperately trying to catch-up with where you were or thought you should be (this is worse as you get older because you tend to think that you will never get it back)

The hamster on his wheel springs to mind. Like many sports it's in the head as much as in the legs.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Here's a bit of a thought, related to the idea of over-training: over-competing. For example, loads of people now run weekly parkruns; I guess the figures on this would be unbelievable compared with a couple of decades or so when despite the running boom, there were fewer of us doing it than these days. This is a good thing, of course.

But I wonder if weekly runs - which for many of us means trying to beat your PB every 7 days - is a sensible strategy. It could mean for some 50 or so weeks of trying to operate flat out and goes against the traditional ideas of peaking and (even more importantly) resting. I've fallen for this - you get into the mindset of:

a) if you are doing well, then pushing yourself for the shaving a few seconds which will deliver the PB/SB or

b) if you are doing badly, desperately trying to catch-up with where you were or thought you should be (this is worse as you get older because you tend to think that you will never get it back)

The hamster on his wheel springs to mind. Like many sports it's in the head as much as in the legs.
Yep. My coach is very clear on this....'A' races need to be spread out, and have dedicated plans aimed at them. You might occasionally get a great parkrun in when not expecting it but chasing PBs all the time is a potential recipe for disaster, particularly with longer distances and us oldies (going eyeballs out at parkrun is ironically OK for most as the recovery time is so short).

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
130.2 out of 1006.

Well, if Parkruns count, I make mine 187.4m so far this year (35 Parkruns, two half marathons and a marathon).

Getting all pedantic (and I know Mrs [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] would agree), parkrun isn't a race*- "There are no winners, just first finishers" or something like that... :lol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
130.2 out of 1006.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a weekly speed session, although whether that should be over 5km is up for debate. To relate it to other sports – I guess it is only like football, where the guys and gals train all week to perform to their optimum at the weekend. Then begins the gentle recovery and build up to the next weekend's performance.

On a sort-of related note, I'm settling in to a routine of a Monday morning leg stretcher – 1.2 miles around the block – with the intention of getting quicker over time. This morning it was just over 10 minutes, so plenty of room for improvement. I only decided I was going to adopt this strategy towards the end of through my run, otherwise I would have cruised to a sub-10 time!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I target no more than 3 big race days a year. Anymore and I’ll trigger arthritis. Arena 80 18” 5k runners often run Parkruns at 21” to 22”.
And no i’m not doing the table. It’s 5pm and i’m going for a beer!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The year of the [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] :bowdown:

Another amazing effort, congratulations. I've got a lot of work on to get back in the mix! Worked 8 hours overtime saturday and sunday, probably the same this week (around the Albion game on the saturday). My running mojo is low, I made my return to parkrun action with a pleasant time at Hove Park (surrounded by all the Vegans - 160 of them!) and intend to pick things up again this week, gently. 4 difficult miles today, we'll see what tomorrow has to say.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Screenshot_20181118-214125.png

No achievements but this weeks Parkrun was the first ever photo of me during a run whether it be a 5k,10k or HM where I don't look like I'm dying (even at the start) and to cap it all I'm flying the Albion flag among the people of Leicester. Am coming down for the Leicester game at the weekend and will be in the North Stand, can't wait! :albion2:

Only shame is that I am in London on Friday night at an industry awards evening for work otherwise I would fancy a homecoming Parkrun at the same time!

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Just a quick one...

Am in Gibraltar for the weekend. Is it possible to run around the rock (rather than have to go up it). Looking at my maps app it seems possible to follow a road completely around the peninsula but not sure all roads are public.

The authoritative view of NSC Runners would be most welcome.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here