Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes indeed. 2018 this has been a poor year for me; it's not just that the times are a bit iffy, but the old ego has taken a battering as age category wins have pretty rare. Partly this is because Worthing has become a bit of a target for 'outsiders' who come to do superfast times. This time there was an old geezer who clocked well under 20. I'll have to set-up roadblocks soon!

I thought I would get a top 3 finish for Arena80 male all time AG at Peacehaven a few weeks ago BUT my 72.99% came 6th, with 5th being 73.00%,4th being 73.01. Should have started nearer the front and elbowed a few of the chicks and it was my birthday 14 hours later that would have given me 2nd.

Came 9th overall AG today on the Prom this morning but it is the Brighton 10K tomorrow. Good luck all entrants.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Haha.. well I'm confident of beating you in total running time, if nothing else!

Good point, let’s compare time rather than distance at year end. Give us slower ones a chance.

No parkrun for me today, but hopefully adding another 26.2m to the totaliser tomorrow

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Good to get back running today after a 9 week break. I fell over and did some ligament damage which has been slow to heal. Eastbourne for me and back to the winter out and back route. Not worried about the times just enjoyed being involved again.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Good to get back running today after a 9 week break. I fell over and did some ligament damage which has been slow to heal. Eastbourne for me and back to the winter out and back route. Not worried about the times just enjoyed being involved again.
Good to hear you are back - was just thinking yesterday we hadn’t heard from you for a while.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
20:39 today. Not an SB but an AG PB of 77% in a career going back to 1968. More work on the track next year, plus marathon training and I should improve on this. Well done @GNT but it's not over till Saturday 29th December.........

Now more importantly have we got [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] s half marathon time correct?

That's a great effort :clap2:

Yes, you got my HM time right :lolol:

Good point, let’s compare time rather than distance at year end. Give us slower ones a chance.

No parkrun for me today, but hopefully adding another 26.2m to the totaliser tomorrow

Nope. Comparing distance is totally fine :thumbsup:

10k at good pace for me this morning. Dodging the slush and snow.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good running everyone and great to see [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] back in the fray.

8 fairly ginger miles along the front before parkrun got set up proved ok. No aches and pains. Back in the game. But, as [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] correctly pointed out, I need to work on more accurate titles for my Strava entries.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
1,204 miles for me this year. I imagine I must have done about 900 of them in the first half of the year when I smashed my PB at every distance, including running my first two marathons. Since then it’s been an absolute disaster with the total ballache that is plantar fasciitis. I am at least now running without pain again, although I’m still not fully throwing myself into it as I don’t entirely trust my feet not to break again. I did 21:32 this morning at about 90% effort. After so long out I can’t really expect to be much faster than that for now. So there is still a long way back but I’m looking forward to 2019. The aim in the remaining weeks of this year is to start clocking up some more mid-distance runs and to get myself under 21:00 at parkrun. Last NYD I was around 21:00 and I went on to have a great six months so if I can be around that time again this NYD I’m on track.

PF is a b*tch. Absolute key to it not recurring is keep doing the stuff you did to get rid of it - tennis/golf ball/frozen bottle foot rolling and obsessive calf stretches.....

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Tell me about it! I can’t imagine there is any worse injury a runner can get having been through this for the last five months.

For me, calf stretching has worked much better than any form of rolling. I need to keep that up because I’m now at a point where I’m just getting minor aches rather than outright pain. I really think calf muscles are the key to keeping your Achilles/ankle/foot in good shape.

Mine was in the flexion of the toes and big toe in particular. Might be worth also trying the equivalent of a knuckle clench on the the feet digits or whatever the official name is, all the bits and pieces have 2 ends. I spent hours bending mine backwards and forwards whilst watching TV last year.
You seem to be on top of it. Great news.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Tell me about it! I can’t imagine there is any worse injury a runner can get having been through this for the last five months.

For me, calf stretching has worked much better than any form of rolling. I need to keep that up because I’m now at a point where I’m just getting minor aches rather than outright pain. I really think calf muscles are the key to keeping your Achilles/ankle/foot in good shape.

I've had shocking PF and shin splints since taking up running in March. PF is reasonably under control with lots of stretching, compression sock and wearing arch support inserts in all of my shoes. The shin splints however just won't go away even if I take a month off running. Have just been running through the pain for the last few months but I think I will have to have a sustained period out over Christmas to see if that resolves it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've had shocking PF and shin splints since taking up running in March. PF is reasonably under control with lots of stretching, compression sock and wearing arch support inserts in all of my shoes. The shin splints however just won't go away even if I take a month off running. Have just been running through the pain for the last few months but I think I will have to have a sustained period out over Christmas to see if that resolves it.

Have you read this? https://www.runnersworld.com/shin-splints/

Ice. Ice and ice. Gentle stretching when leg is warm. Tracing the alphabet with toes. Sitting on heels. If sitting on heels is initially difficult you could put a cushion in between.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
[MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] do you have one last table update in you before your travels?

NSC’s favourite race, a 10k road race for me today. Went in with little expectation and went of calmly probably helped by the bottle neck start. 6:12 first mile felt quite easy so just kept at that pace or just under up to 4 miles.

Mile 5 was a ******* with a strong easterly at you but once you turned back for home it was lovely to know you had 0.9 miles with some assistance.

38:39 in the end (unofficial) and a big 21 second pb.

I learnt a big lesson from Arena 80 going off at sub 6 minute mile pace and the new tactic served me well especially as conditions were tougher today.

Its rounded of a good year for me. 1000+ miles, 5, 10k and 10 mile PB’s.

I’ve now got the Downland Devil & Mince Pie but between that I’ve got a 4 day piss up in Seattle with my mates which I intend to enjoy.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I knew fitness was terribly unhealthy [emoji1784][emoji1785]

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
[MENTION=15605]NSC’s favourite race, a 10k road race for me today. Went in with little expectation and went of calmly probably helped by the bottle neck start. 6:12 first mile felt quite easy so just kept at that pace or just under up to 4 miles.

Mile 5 was a ******* with a strong easterly at you but once you turned back for home it was lovely to know you had 0.9 miles with some assistance.

I learnt a big lesson from Arena 80 going off at sub 6 minute mile pace and the new tactic served me well especially as conditions were tougher today.
Smashing effort.

Conditions were pretty ideal on the whole today I thought. It’s been a long time coming but I finally went sub-45 for the first time - 44.30 or thereabouts. A PB by some way, chuffed.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
And one more PB (by about 20 seconds) from the perfect conditions at Brighton 10k (for [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] to add when table is revised please). I came in at 46:14 which I’m very happy with (at least when I look at the VM60 bit of the results table ....)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Mediocre 4.08 on the Thames Path this morning. First 20m were pretty steady, then I ran out of gas and my quads & hip flexors started playing up a bit (course too flat for me) so a bit of a messy finish, but it’ll do as a training run.

Great run [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Have you read this? https://www.runnersworld.com/shin-splints/

Ice. Ice and ice. Gentle stretching when leg is warm. Tracing the alphabet with toes. Sitting on heels. If sitting on heels is initially difficult you could put a cushion in between.

Thanks so much for this, looks like some really great articles and advice, will do anything to get rid of these ******** especially if I can stay gently active as I love my new hobby.

Some amazing running today it seems, well done all!

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Knocked almost 12 mins off my time today at Brighton compared to last years race. Just missed sub 60, but still chuffed for a fat dad.
Certainly helps running through the year with a club. Pushing for 55 mins next year

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
[MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] do you have one last table update in you before your travels?

NSC’s favourite race, a 10k road race for me today. Went in with little expectation and went of calmly probably helped by the bottle neck start. 6:12 first mile felt quite easy so just kept at that pace or just under up to 4 miles.

Its rounded of a good year for me. 1000+ miles, 5, 10k and 10 mile PB’s.

I’ve now got the Downland Devil & Mince Pie but between that I’ve got a 4 day piss up in Seattle with my mates which I intend to enjoy.

Cracking effort, you've clearly got a sub-38:30 in there somewhere!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here