Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Is 'COLLAPSE' what you did at the end? I know it's what I did at the end of my own 45 minute 10k today... in the kids new paddling pool, which I've discovered is big enough for me to lie down in!

:cool:

Ha ha, there WAS a water-based element at the end of my run, but it was 1,500m in the local pool, as opposed to chilling in the paddling pool!

I actually felt OK after the run. I wasn't pushing it 100%, but just trying to keep the pace up (or down), to give myself the best shot at sub-8min/miles.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Where's everyone parkrunning this weekend? With the World Cup done I quite fancy a detox and throwing a few fast 5ks in to my training.

Also, is it weird to actually train to win the parents' race at sports day or is that the sort of competitive edge we admire? The bonkers woman next door appears to have done just that.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Where's everyone parkrunning this weekend? With the World Cup done I quite fancy a detox and throwing a few fast 5ks in to my training.

Also, is it weird to actually train to win the parents' race at sports day or is that the sort of competitive edge we admire? The bonkers woman next door appears to have done just that.

A friend trained hard, for him, in the mid 90's to try and win the Cottesmore Father's race. He claims the winner jumped the gun. Mr Gerry Armstrong.......

I'm a doubtful for Parkrun. Inner thigh and calf playing up on left leg. Swimming, cycling and walking no problem. May recover in time to join up at an arranged meet.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

I’m definitely park running this week but will make a decision on where based on the weather. No wind the prom, windy could be between bevendean, Hove Park & Preston Park.

Ran the Phoenix last night 360+ runners ran from the 700 entries. They had a projector in the tent with the match so I missed around 25 minutes. Good atmosphere and I ran ok. 39:45 was expecting sub 39:30 but gave myself too much to do running the first 5k in 20:02.

The 8mph westerly was just enough to slow you down but you could barely feel it coming home.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
I’m definitely park running this week but will make a decision on where based on the weather. No wind the prom, windy could be between bevendean, Hove Park & Preston Park.

Ran the Phoenix last night 360+ runners ran from the 700 entries. They had a projector in the tent with the match so I missed around 25 minutes. Good atmosphere and I ran ok. 39:45 was expecting sub 39:30 but gave myself too much to do running the first 5k in 20:02.

The 8mph westerly was just enough to slow you down but you could barely feel it coming home.

Well done for still running. I've not tried the Prom yet. Quite fancy it but I won't be on SB form after way too much beer and BBQ over the last month. Met Office says 3mph ESE for Saturday morning.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Well done for still running. I've not tried the Prom yet. Quite fancy it but I won't be on SB form after way too much beer and BBQ over the last month. Met Office says 3mph ESE for Saturday morning.

If that’s the case I’ll be running the prom. I just hope racing last night and last Saturday at park run haven’t taken too much out of me.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Probably up for HP or Prom. Can’t hang around as whisking Simgull jr off for school trip to China afterwards.

Legs still heavy from last weekend so will be a fairly gentle effort I think.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Playing golf this Sat but will be back on the parkrun circuit soon hopefully, aiming to break about 30 mins I’d think [emoji24][emoji24]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Off to Goodwood FoS Saturday, so no parkrun. They don't really fit into the Ironman training schedule anyway, unless I finished the long bike ride with one. But that would be starting a cycle at about 3.30am!

I'll try and get back to one soon, somehow...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Also, Jnr Bobkin is in the process of moving football teams. New training time? Yep, 9am Saturday [emoji85][emoji85]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Probably up for HP or Prom. Can’t hang around as whisking Simgull jr off for school trip to China afterwards.

Legs still heavy from last weekend so will be a fairly gentle effort I think.

I forgot about that. Beats the Isle of White or the Science Museum. Kids today eh? Hope he has a great time.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
No parkrun for me today - freak accident at Victoria station the other night involving a bike tripping me up and sending me crashing to the ground resulting in a badly bruised knee! Trying to find a way to blame Southern.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Anyone got any tips for recovering from shin splints? Ran through them for a few months (not recommended I know) but after my last 10k three weeks ago I decided to give my body a rest for a month as I have a half marathon in October and don't want to start my training with any niggling injuries. 3 weeks into my month off and the inside of my shin bone is still tender if I rub it and any sort of light jog and I feel it straight away. I have also been suffering with plantar fasciitis for a couple of months which has been improved by wearing a compression sock but I can still feel it every morning.

Is the solution just more rest or are there other options out there?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Anyone got any tips for recovering from shin splints? Ran through them for a few months (not recommended I know) but after my last 10k three weeks ago I decided to give my body a rest for a month as I have a half marathon in October and don't want to start my training with any niggling injuries. 3 weeks into my month off and the inside of my shin bone is still tender if I rub it and any sort of light jog and I feel it straight away. I have also been suffering with plantar fasciitis for a couple of months which has been improved by wearing a compression sock but I can still feel it every morning.

Is the solution just more rest or are there other options out there?

Rub fingers up muscle next to the shin bone. Squeezing the muscle up towards knee. Excruciatingly painful but should get rid off it. I'd get the plantar fasciitis looked at though.Usually only gets worse.

Few weeks off for me after pulling up half way through Prom Parkrun. The gastrocnemius in calf needs more time unfortunately. Walked to finish to grab another Parkrun. Swimming and cycling it is from now. Hope I don't have to walk the 5K leg of the Bewl Sprint Tri in 3 weeks time...........

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
24:20 ish for me today but run as negative splits and with saving a bit for a 10 min mile LSR tomorrow. Very happy with my discipline and nice to get out in lovely weather and see [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
No parkrun for me today, as I happily watched from the sidelines with the littlest as Junior Orange completed his first full parkrun - watching him wipe the floor with the lovely Mrs Orange in a sprint finish was a sight to behold! :lolol:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
18:51 official time which is around what I expected bearing in mind I raced last Saturday, Wednesday & played football Thursday.

I’ll drop the pace significantly for my long run tomorrow and try and rest up for the Trailblazer a week tomorrow.

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
Worthing PR today; 24:32 -decided to take it easy and enjoyed the sun as I'm just coming back.
It was my 50th PR. (Not bad in 18 months).

What was a bigger milestone was that Mrs LB completed her first PR - she'd always previously stated (often in colourful language) that I'd never get her to do one.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here