Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Never competed or done organised runs, but used to jog 3 times a week. I had to give it a rest for the last 3 yrs as I managed to ruin my knee (doing first and last lunge with a kettle bell). Now trying to get back into it, by doing the couch to 5k plan. 20 mins is tonights run. Running on roads is quite painful, so I am looking for somewhere reasonably flat and off road, in or close to Haywards Heath. Has anyone any suggestions?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You had a shocker that night but recall you hadn't done any distance training and only entered on a spontaneous wish to take part after we talked about it at Phoenix the week before. You were on time and some how managed to avoid running into the river as you hadn't packed a torch for a night marathon. For that I'm eternally grateful as still makes me laugh. Blind optimism goes a long way. Just not very quickly. Think we both could do better and plan to have another go next year.

I'll be having another go next year for sure, knowing the event and the definite need for a headtorch! :lolol: Mr [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] ran a 3:44:27 so I'll be targeting that as the time to beat!

That sounds FAR too familiar. It's my trail long run that's been all (relatively) flat and on a course I'm familiar with, so I'm looking forward to it. But that might just be famous last words and I might have a shocker. But the gradual fade to black should be interesting and it's something a bit different...

Put it this way, if I come in at around the 4:30 mark like you last year, I'll be happy!

I came 50th overall, in a time of 4:39:46 - so there's the mark to beat!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Well then may I convey, on behalf of the good folk of Worthing (who comprise approx. 5.6% of the actual population of Worthing), our sincere best wishes as you and your lovely family relocate across the border, you totally mad ******* (the descriptor is earned through admiration for your running exploits, not for your decision to move to Wales...............but come to think of it). All the best! (PS I did a 4 year stint in Wales too.)

Cheers for your kind words.. going to try and get back for some races sporadically next year. It's good spread the nsc running squad around the country.. to the provinces!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'll be having another go next year for sure, knowing the event and the definite need for a headtorch! :lolol: Mr [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] ran a 3:44:27 so I'll be targeting that as the time to beat!

I came 50th overall, in a time of 4:39:46 - so there's the mark to beat!

I'll see what I can do...

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Good luck to everyone doing the Lunatic on sat... don't eat to much pie during the day and also remember your head torches, or not if you believe you can get it done before the bats come out!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Forecast tomorrow morning ideal for Hove Park SB's. A fair SSW wind. Gives help up the slope and you get some shelter from it running back down. Will be holding back myself as still on recovery week but may try a flat out final lap to have some fun.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Forecast tomorrow morning ideal for Hove Park SB's. A fair SSW wind. Gives help up the slope and you get some shelter from it running back down. Will be holding back myself as still on recovery week but may try a flat out final lap to have some fun.

I'm aiming to be there tomorrow. I am going to a poker night tonight where we traditionally make dinner for one another beforehand and then consume beer and cheese during, so my 6 month baby may age to 7 months. Nothing like a fast 5k to get rid of bad living though, right?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'm seeing Jesus tomorrow so no Park Run for me. Hoping to get a clean bill of health and start running properly again. I've shown great discipline to restrict myself to grass only running and no more than 3.65 miles so far.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I was feeling better but a sharp stop on my bike this morning to avoid being mashed into the ground meant I landed awkwardly on the ankle and the soreness has returned, so I'm 50/50 for a parkrun. It was scheduled to be the Prom for me tomorrow with my mate Dave but it may not happen. Or I might plod it and pace him for 25. I'll see how it feels tomorrow but it's probably going to be a rest week AGAIN.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
WOW. :down:

That's quite the slap in my face. To be fair, I really didn't. Up to the 16th mile I felt like I was doing ok, but then I died all of a sudden and in the dark. I seem to recall Mr Harmonica losing his way after I'd stopped navigating us though, which makes me feel a bit happier! I was reading their Facebook page after the time and they were talking about a guy who sat down to have a quick break and then woke up a few hours later having had a nice nap but discovered everyone had gone home! At least I wasn't that guy.

What navigating ? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] 4 miles of river on the left, cross bridge, 4 miles of river on right, cross bridge. Repeat x 3.

Now watch me get lost tomorrow........

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
What navigating ? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] 4 miles of river on the left, cross bridge, 4 miles of river on right, cross bridge. Repeat x 3.

Now watch me get lost tomorrow........

There are twists and turns, and a couple of points where you could easily follow the wrong path. You might find yourself regretting those laughing smileys come the darkness tomorrow evening! But that's part of the charm and the adventure, no?!

Besides, I could get lost running around Hove Park. I'm not the best person to judge how easy or otherwise it is follow the course. :blush:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I might pop along to Worthing PR tomorrow for a little nimble along the prom.. so I might see you there?

I've now got this image of you running home along the M4 to get here in time..........I'm 50/50 to do it after my hamstring tweak last week. I'll probably turn up and have a little fitness test before the start. If I do the parkrun I'm one of the naughty boys who hangs around at the start and misses the briefing. If I don't run I'll support Mrs GNT who is having a go so might see you anyway.

I'll be the old, limping, git so you can't miss me!

PS a tip - at the bollard you turn to come back; you DON'T keep running until you reach Cornwall.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
I've now got this image of you running home along the M4 to get here in time..........I'm 50/50 to do it after my hamstring tweak last week. I'll probably turn up and have a little fitness test before the start. If I do the parkrun I'm one of the naughty boys who hangs around at the start and misses the briefing. If I don't run I'll support Mrs GNT who is having a go so might see you anyway.

I'll be the old, limping, git so you can't miss me!

PS a tip - at the bollard you turn to come back; you DON'T keep running until you reach Cornwall.

That would be an adventure wouldn't it!

Unfortunately my wife has ruled that no running will happen tomorrow.. :0( haven't seen the kids for a week so it's Saturday morning pictures.. I'm planning on a slow bimble somewhere Sunday if you or anyone else want to join? Was planning on going up on the downs or along the prom prom prom

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There are twists and turns, and a couple of points where you could easily follow the wrong path. You might find yourself regretting those laughing smileys come the darkness tomorrow evening! But that's part of the charm and the adventure, no?!

Besides, I could get lost running around Hove Park. I'm not the best person to judge how easy or otherwise it is follow the course. :blush:

If you say so.......done it twice and so far not ended up in the river [emoji23][emoji23]

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
That would be an adventure wouldn't it!

Unfortunately my wife has ruled that no running will happen tomorrow.. :0( haven't seen the kids for a week so it's Saturday morning pictures.. I'm planning on a slow bimble somewhere Sunday if you or anyone else want to join? Was planning on going up on the downs or along the prom prom prom

If I get an all clear from Jesus I might be up for a slow longer run Sunday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here