Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ha ha. Sorry GB, I *thought* it was you, but I was 16 miles into an 18-mile run, my calf was giving me grief, and I was trying to work out the distance to home and also what time I would be doing.

Sounds like you had a good run. Mine was 2hrs 34 and my planned 9min/mile pace sped up to 8:35 in the end.

Eight weeks until IOW. I'm planning on adding an extra mile to my long run each week. Be great if I could carry on that pace for 26.2...

Happy Sunday running, NSC :thumpsup:

No worries. You looked quite fresh to me!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
One other positive to running a flat Hove Prom Park Run versus a hilly Hove Park one is that I felt much fresher today as my calf's weren't tight which I usually suffer with after pushing hard at Hove Park. I don't usually run two days in a row but if I get the opportunity to I might need to consider the easier course to avoid injuries, I would also imagine there is less of a camber on the seafront especially as you change direction 6 times through the 5k.

6 miles today in 41:15 including a slight climb up Olive Road towards Old Shoreham Road and then looping back to Hove from Southwick.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/867907308

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
One other positive to running a flat Hove Prom Park Run versus a hilly Hove Park one is that I felt much fresher today as my calf's weren't tight which I usually suffer with after pushing hard at Hove Park. I don't usually run two days in a row but if I get the opportunity to I might need to consider the easier course to avoid injuries, I would also imagine there is less of a camber on the seafront especially as you change direction 6 times through the 5k.

6 miles today in 41:15 including a slight climb up Olive Road towards Old Shoreham Road and then looping back to Hove from Southwick.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/867907308
I can't be the only one who checks your links JUST to see what the name of the run is, can I? 😂

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Blisters: tape up with a plaster and run through or rest till they've gone? The ones from yesterday look awful although I can't really feel them. My inclination is to do a very short recovery run with them covered to keep breaking in the shoes.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
[MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] I have now been able to look at your results and you have a few + 76% up your sleeve for this year alone. I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew and have to add you to the numerous list of NSC Challengers that beat me.

We will see. I am up for trying to beat your best AG performance for this month on my September 5th run but I think I am second favourite. We will have to have a rematch regardless of this month's outcome in November or December. Problem for me is your too good! I need to revisit my 6 year old sub 20 to get near 76%. For that I need a 6 week training plan, a strong wind behind me and faster legs.
I crown you the NSC King of AG percentages.

As you say 'we will see'! I plan to do the Hove Prom one on 29th and I think that represents my best hope for a good time; but I am nowhere near sub 21 right now. The flat, out-and-back courses are great - the Southsea Parkrun is like this and there's a Worthing 5K organised by the rowing club in spring. I had great hopes of this one but it coincided with a beast of a wind. I'm surprised that the new Hove Prom PR hasn't attracted more runners, although Hove Park and Preston Park are both quite quick. If you or anyone else fancies a really tough course then the Queen Elizabeth Park one in Hampshire is as nasty as you'll get.
In the meantime good luck with the training for the 5th Sept...............Cheers!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hills
Speed work
Long runs.

A combination of those in training is guarranteed to get your times down.

Definitely. Have a look online at some generic 5-10k training programmes - all will have 2-3 sessions a week of harder speed intervals. Most of us, when we start running, tend to just 'go and run' and be very one-paced. Secret to running faster is, er, running faster........

First holiday run for me this morning after flight yesterday. 28 degrees and 80% humidity made it 10-20% harder than normal I reckon, 40 mins fartlek and managed to find a perfect 'hill' in this otherwise pancake flat town (half mile long bridge that rises in the middle - will be ideal for a hill repeats session)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Ran. My aching muscles needed a recovery run more than my blisters didn't. Not a fantastically enjoyable experience.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Medium-paced 4 miles along Hove seafront today.
Strong headwind on the way back running West.

30 minutes, happy with that after my Bleep-Test yesterday. :shootself

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Lovely weather conditions for running this morning, shame my soon to be 1 year old son woke up at 5am and didn't get back to sleep until 7:45 meaning my 8 mile run was cut short to 4.2 miles.

What's the Park Run line up this week? I'm not a definite yet but hoping to get along one.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm out of the Parkrun this Saturday, my right knee is a mess. I did the Isle of Wight Half on sunday, I finished 40th out of 370odd, 1:36:07, so very very hilly! My knee wasn't feeling too good beforehand so I did a lot of static stretches and dynamic stretches as well as strides and whatnot, but the hills caused me a significant amount of stress in the knee region.

Is the Hove Park Parkrun battle still on for the 5th?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I've got a couple of weeks off without actually going anywhere much. This morning I managed a leisurely 10k along the front. Later my son is at football all day and my wife is taking our daughter to a Frozen singalong, meaning I will walk back to the Lagoon for some fish and samphire for lunch and spend the day watching the cricket in my pants guilt free. Marvellous scenes.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
No Parkrun for me @BigNuts I will be taking advantage of the beverages on offer at the Oval on the last day of my Ashes summer.
Then it is back to running. Have a bit of catching up to do by the sound of it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Lovely weather conditions for running this morning, shame my soon to be 1 year old son woke up at 5am and didn't get back to sleep until 7:45 meaning my 8 mile run was cut short to 4.2 miles.

What's the Park Run line up this week? I'm not a definite yet but hoping to get along one.

Won't be there this week - packed weekend, which means the dreaded DIY to be done before heading off to the Amex for the afternoon.

Not even sure when/how I'm going to fit a long run in...

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Lovely morning this morning but pretty hot even at the start of my run at 06:50. Wanted to get some miles under my belt as I've mainly been running short, quick runs.

9 miles to the undercliff just past the marina and back.

1 7:22.2 1.00
2 7:15.6 1.00
3 7:13.8 1.00
4 7:20.1 1.00
5 7:13.5 1.00
6 7:01.7 1.00
7 7:10.2 1.00
8 6:59.6 1.00
9 6:51.0 1.00

Total running time 1:04:27 at an average pace of 7:10

Has anyone entered the Arena 80 10k race on Sunday 20th September? It's two laps of hove seafront starting at 10:30.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
No Park Run for me today.

I've spent the last 2 days on the treadmill getting my 1.5 mile sprint times down.

09:50 on Thursday
10:10 yesterday eve.

Aiming for 09:30 for the 1.5 mile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here