Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Anyone getting down to Hove Park tomorrow morning?

Hoping for another Park-Run PB - and secretly hoping there's a 22-23 min pacer on here that I could use. :whistle:

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Excellent! I did my first continuous 45 mins in Feb this year. Now up to 10-13 miles for my long run.

That extra time will burn calories, which in turn will make you lose weight, which in turn will see you run faster and longer. An hour unbroken isn't far off.

Thanks!, my aim all along has to be able to do 10k in under an hour. Not sure if I have the patience to get up to 10 miles! We'll see though once I get to my original goal. I weigh less than 11 stone so don't really want to lose weight, redistributing it would be better!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Hoping for another Park-Run PB - and secretly hoping there's a 22-23 min pacer on here that I could use. :whistle:

I am up to be a pacer. What time exactly are you looking at? Do you want a set pace or holding back for a fast finish?

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Yeah agree - bit worried about that. Not sure it's so bad right on the inside but we'll see.

Yeah its ok right on the inside.but who knows after say lap 40?! It will definatly test you mentally..Also on the inside, the grass has been worn to a path but i doubt running on that will be allowed? I used to to a lot of running around that track when i first started running many moons ago, its easy to clock away the miles, but may get a hard after 50 or so laps.. especially if cake and what not is winking at you every lap.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ideally looking for a sub 23:00 finish if possible. I don't think I could manage anything under 22:30!
What time would you normally aim for?

I run around 21 unless in a NSC challenge. Not tomorrow though after only 2 runs since Phoenix 10k on July 13th and a 23:00 pace will be just right. 4:36 for each kilometre. I'll be at the climbing frame in a green black stripe Brighton away shirt at 8:45.
Maybe there is another pacer.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Probably not tomorrow - got stuff on, and I pushed it quite hard this morning. Plus I need a rest before a long run on Sunday. But I see [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] has stepped in - he'll see you right.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well guess what? I ended up with another pair of Brooks :lolol:

An updated GTS Adrenaline 15 pair to be precise. Tried on a couple but they are SO comfortable and bouncy on me and the owner at Run (who i believe either Sim or knocky mentioned was a seriously fast chap in his time) was happy with me running in them.

From the old pair he was able to tell I was right footed just from looking at the heel damage. I've got a strong push off and am landing on the outside of my heel on my left as a result. I'm also pointing my left foot out ever so slightly which is something I tell my son off for when he's playing football :facepalm:

I know there were a couple of contradictory pieces of advice but I will take the comfort over durability for now and try and work on my technique.

I was also told to replace these as soon as they went. The others have been gone for some time as a generous slap on the bottom of the sole showed.

EDIT - one more thing, I had to get size 10 and a half whereas the 14s were a 10. The later Brooks are "out" by half a size so try both on if you can rather than buying off the net.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I run around 21 unless in a NSC challenge. Not tomorrow though after only 2 runs since Phoenix 10k on July 13th and a 23:00 pace will be just right. 4:36 for each kilometre. I'll be at the climbing frame in a green black stripe Brighton away shirt at 8:45.
Maybe there is another pacer.

Ok sounds great, thanks :cheers:
I'll be in Blue & White with a Hoskins collar!

If all goes well, it'll be a successive PB for me. :clap:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thanks!, my aim all along has to be able to do 10k in under an hour. Not sure if I have the patience to get up to 10 miles! We'll see though once I get to my original goal. I weigh less than 11 stone so don't really want to lose weight, redistributing it would be better!

Eight months ago I could only run a couple of miles. My 10k best is now 50.55 and I'm still (just) 13 stone. You didn't say if you'd entered a race, but if you have then you can take 5 - 10% off a training time so a sub 60 min 10k should be there for the taking!

I only entered one 10k to lose "a bit of Christmas pudge". I'm doing the Brighton Marathon next year. The addictive nature of running gets everyone eventually.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Eight months ago I could only run a couple of miles. My 10k best is now 50.55 and I'm still (just) 13 stone. You didn't say if you'd entered a race, but if you have then you can take 5 - 10% off a training time so a sub 60 min 10k should be there for the taking!

I only entered one 10k to lose "a bit of Christmas pudge". I'm doing the Brighton Marathon next year. The addictive nature of running gets everyone eventually.

Really great story....will be interested to see what you do after Brighton. I was only ever going to do one marathon..........:lol:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No Parkrun for me today, my right knee is very sore and I'm concerned about my half marathon on the Isle of Wight tomorrow now. It is race, I was looking for a PB but might have to scale back the expectations.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Many thanks to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] for being a great pacer today. :bowdown:
I battled hard to keep up, now waiting for the times to come in.

I timed you in at 22:09 just a couple of people behind me. Your target was 22:30. Good running. I reckon you could do a sub 21 within a few months and with a tail wind instead of slight head wind. Your camping walking trip in California, Arizona and Nevada sounds brilliant. Enjoy Salvation Mountain and the memory of Leonard Knight (not Leon).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well guess what? I ended up with another pair of Brooks :lolol:

An updated GTS Adrenaline 15 pair to be precise. Tried on a couple but they are SO comfortable and bouncy on me and the owner at Run (who i believe either Sim or knocky mentioned was a seriously fast chap in his time) was happy with me running in them.

From the old pair he was able to tell I was right footed just from looking at the heel damage. I've got a strong push off and am landing on the outside of my heel on my left as a result. I'm also pointing my left foot out ever so slightly which is something I tell my son off for when he's playing football :facepalm:

I know there were a couple of contradictory pieces of advice but I will take the comfort over durability for now and try and work on my technique.

I was also told to replace these as soon as they went. The others have been gone for some time as a generous slap on the bottom of the sole showed.

EDIT - one more thing, I had to get size 10 and a half whereas the 14s were a 10. The later Brooks are "out" by half a size so try both on if you can rather than buying off the net.

My GTS15s are an 11, but I'm normally a 10 day to day.

My second pair are still causing me problems on two toes on my right foot, something which didn't happen once in c500 miles in my first pair.

Popped out for a early half-marathon pre-Fulham this morning. Strava said it was my third fastest but that's only a result of only ever having run a handful, but it was a dreadful run. I got slower and slower and even got cramp for the first time so walked a bit.

The only positive I'm taking from it is the big calorie deficit I'm now in as I set off on a cider quest.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'm on a similar journey to [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]. I think he's leading the weight loss, whilst I'm just shading times right now.

My first run was on January 23rd and I was running a half-marathon within 3 months. My 5km (22:49), 10km (49:03), 10m (1:22:40) and HM (1:53:51) times have all continued to get better. It really is remarkable just how much your body can improve performance so quickly.

I thought I'd never get inside a 25min 5km less than 7 months ago!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Really great story....will be interested to see what you do after Brighton. I was only ever going to do one marathon..........:lol:

Agree. I love these stories and I also love "only one marathon" stories :lolol: Been there myself. All good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here