Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Amen to that. It was a beautiful thing. Wasn’t keen on the double-back on Madeira drive though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Much better than the contrived route they had last year that took you down near the Asda car park and back!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well I had a whale of a time at Bright10. Started out with the 80 pacer but edged ahead and was surprised that by the turn after Dukes Mound that I was further ahead of him than I thought. Just carried on going from there –still holding a little something back just in case it all came crashing down – and crossed the line in 78.01. Great to be able to give so many shouts to running mates around the course and watch a little bit of the Ninja/Big Nuts 'battle' up ahead.

Good to get a shout out from you! Is 78:01 a new PB over the distance?

Your demons have been defenestrated! Congrats.

That race between [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] and [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] sounds brilliant. 6:42 mile pace for 10 miles is phenomenal. I'm unlikely to but would be happy to edge that in a little 5k (20:49 time) next month.

I would like to take this moment to say that it wasn't a race - having raced Bevendean I wasn't expecting to be able to get within a few minutes of [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], but it all came together. He and I will be going toe to toe at the Arena 80c. I'm doing it alongside my training plan, so I'll have my excuses ready, but I should be able to give it the beans and see I can match his sub-39 effort. That'll be a belter of a race!

Enjoyed the Bright10 run on Sunday. Beautiful sunrise and that was about all we saw of the sun as the cloud drifted in for the race. Met up with a few mates pre race and one runs roughly the same speed as me so we set off between the 80 & 90 minute pacers as both aiming for around 85 mins. So many memories of the marathon come back as you head up to the Marina but its a nice surprise when you turn back early and head down to maderia drive. Mate and I kept overtaking each other so pushed the pace along and I finished with a new 10 mile PB of 83.34 . GSR for me next week so may try and stick with the 80 minute pacer.

Cracking run [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] - it definitely sounds like you should try and stick with the 80 minute pacer for the GSR, it's a big ask to take such a chunk off but letting someone else set the pace would probably help. Then all you have to do is keep your head right and keep yourself ticking along, and then throw him in the bin on the final dash!

Amen to that. It was a beautiful thing. Wasn’t keen on the double-back on Madeira drive though.

I think they had to have that carousel to make sure that all the slower folk are clear of the Madeira Drive roundabout for when the quicks are coming through. This is the downside to only closing off one lane but they didn't have a choice, because of the diversions for the buses. The course is pretty much perfect I think, the first running which took in the hairpin turn at the Old Steine was a joke so I'm glad that's been thrown in the bin of history.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I think the Bright10 course and race is really good too but have never been keen on carousels. I do appreciate they are required when trying to shoehorn a course into a small area. I have never liked the carousel on Church Road for the Brighton marathon. Seems to go on forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Race-wise yes (I just checked my 2014 Hayling Island 10 time – 78.36), but I've gone quicker in training runs.

I would like to take this moment to say that it wasn't a race - having raced Bevendean I wasn't expecting to be able to get within a few minutes of [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], but it all came together. He and I will be going toe to toe at the Arena 80c. I'm doing it alongside my training plan, so I'll have my excuses ready, but I should be able to give it the beans and see I can match his sub-39 effort. That'll be a belter of a race!

I was hoping to see you both again along the front and say "Ninja's closing on you" to him and "Big Nuts is fading" to you, but didn't get the opportunity – not quite quick enough!

Cracking run [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] - it definitely sounds like you should try and stick with the 80 minute pacer for the GSR, it's a big ask to take such a chunk off but letting someone else set the pace would probably help. Then all you have to do is keep your head right and keep yourself ticking along, and then throw him in the bin on the final dash!

That really helped me yesterday – if nothing else just to stay that little bit ahead to stop me from going off like a rocket and risk fading towards the end.

I think they had to have that carousel to make sure that all the slower folk are clear of the Madeira Drive roundabout for when the quicks are coming through. This is the downside to only closing off one lane but they didn't have a choice, because of the diversions for the buses. The course is pretty much perfect I think, the first running which took in the hairpin turn at the Old Steine was a joke so I'm glad that's been thrown in the bin of history.

I hope they stick to this route – three years; three different courses...

Responses above.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
entered the Bath Half in March as I have unfinished business after doing 1:41 this year

for those that wear FitBit's/Garmin could anyone recommend best option for half training?

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk

Well done to all that finished the Brighton 10. Huge respect to [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] who ran brilliantly. Passed me before 7 miles and picked up the pace as I was trying to hold on. First timer for this race and really enjoyed it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
entered the Bath Half in March as I have unfinished business after doing 1:41 this year

for those that wear FitBit's/Garmin could anyone recommend best option for half training?

How do you want to use it for training? I set my plan and use the watch. Do you want to use the watch to set your plan? I'm not the man to ask if so, otherwise I'd go for Garmin or Suunto. Fitbit seems girly and gimmicky to me but I don't know much about them.

I replaced my heavy 9 year old Garmin 305 this week. Got a Garmin 35 for £130. Finds signals within seconds and even in doors, has a big enough screen for my old eyes to read quickly, is light, good battery life and wrist heart rate monitor tracked very well in Sunday's run.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Well done all on Bright10 - some great runs there.
I ran round Central Park yesterday - couldn't get a signal on my Garmin at all (blooming skyscrapers) so no idea on distance and speed - I guess it was about seven miles. Great to run round the reservoir remembering all those film scenes and then more importantly the areas featured in the Lego games on the Xbox (that my son plays, not me honest.)
Now that would be a good place for a Parkrun!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well done all on Bright10 - some great runs there.
I ran round Central Park yesterday - couldn't get a signal on my Garmin at all (blooming skyscrapers) so no idea on distance and speed - I guess it was about seven miles. Great to run round the reservoir remembering all those film scenes and then more importantly the areas featured in the Lego games on the Xbox (that my son plays, not me honest.)
Now that would be a good place for a Parkrun!

Nice one. The full loop from the bottom end, up to the North Wood and back down again is almost exactly 10k. Will be there in a couple of weeks................

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I contacted Bright10 about the clash with Barns Green HM. They are urgently looking to see if it can be moved. B&H council refused to grant them permission for the usual 2nd Sunday in October date due to another unnamed event taking place that day. They have now formally requested Sunday 7th October and are waiting to hear back. They said they had been snowed under with requests for the date to be moved if possible!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I contacted Bright10 about the clash with Barns Green HM. They are urgently looking to see if it can be moved. B&H council refused to grant them permission for the usual 2nd Sunday in October date due to another unnamed event taking place that day. They have now formally requested Sunday 7th October and are waiting to hear back. They said they had been snowed under with requests for the date to be moved if possible!

I sent an email too, so pleased they are considering an alternative date.

Just checked now and the website are confirming Sunday 7th October for 2018 so good news there.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just had a look at Saturday's weather between 9 and 10am for Bevendean. Old School Cross Country by the looks! Maybe the 50mph gusts will blow us all up the hill and we'll all smash at Ninja's pre set target.

Hail Shower
Humidity 73%
Visibility Very Good
Pressure (Millibars) 1001
Wind Direction SSW
Wind Gusts (mph)
WIND GUSTS 50mph

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I don't want to rule out anyone else beating my time, but I'm concerned about the big fella. I think, if he's fresh, my time will fall.

I'll need to be getting my session in during the Newcastle parkrun, it's looking like I'll run about 20 minutes to get there and then aim for a sub 19 (which might not even be enough for a top 20 finish! http://www.parkrun.org.uk/newcastle/results/latestresults/) but that might be beyond me. I've also spotted that Palace are playing Newcastle on that day, so the Brighton shirt might stay at home!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I don't want to rule out anyone else beating my time, but I'm concerned about the big fella. I think, if he's fresh, my time will fall.

I'll need to be getting my session in during the Newcastle parkrun, it's looking like I'll run about 20 minutes to get there and then aim for a sub 19 (which might not even be enough for a top 20 finish! http://www.parkrun.org.uk/newcastle/results/latestresults/) but that might be beyond me. I've also spotted that Palace are playing Newcastle on that day, so the Brighton shirt might stay at home!

He's ordered me to pick him up early, give him a prep talk, massage, drip feed an English Breakfast into him, couple of pints and a sedan chair to the start line. He may have duties with Little Big Nuts though.
Hope not as we are going to fly up that little hill with that wind directly behind us.
You have to wear the shirt at least during Parkrun!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Won't make Bevvy on Saturday....probably got to do something a bit longer ahead of Beachy next week, and won't be getting up early after a late night getting back from East London either. Going to be up all night on Saturday night working an aid station on the Autumn 100 miler near Reading too.

In other news, 1500 miles for the year hit this morning.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/7256265

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He's ordered me to pick him up early, give him a prep talk, massage, drip feed an English Breakfast into him, couple of pints and a sedan chair to the start line. He may have duties with Little Big Nuts though.
Hope not as we are going to fly up that little hill with that wind directly behind us.
You have to wear the shirt at least during Parkrun!

Sounds like the MINIMUM required for an SE, pre-race!

I've decided to abstain from wearing the shirt, and I may need to abstain from running at all. On my cycle this morning a driver decided to pull out immediately into my path so in my haste to emergency stop, I caught my leg on the pedal and much bruising has occurred. Much swearing, too! I've had a pronounced limp since, so my thursday sprints session was ruled out which is very frustrating but does provide some pre-race rest.

Won't make Bevvy on Saturday....probably got to do something a bit longer ahead of Beachy next week, and won't be getting up early after a late night getting back from East London either. Going to be up all night on Saturday night working an aid station on the Autumn 100 miler near Reading too.

All of this post is pretty fantastic, but the finale is definitely the pinnacle! Incredible mileage, I'll break the 1k mark but that's sensational. You think you can make 2k?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

****! Well done.
I'll be passing 150miles in 47 outings on Saturday at Bevendean and that includes 30+ miles of walks.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sounds like the MINIMUM required for an SE, pre-race!

I've decided to abstain from wearing the shirt, and I may need to abstain from running at all. On my cycle this morning a driver decided to pull out immediately into my path so in my haste to emergency stop, I caught my leg on the pedal and much bruising has occurred. Much swearing, too! I've had a pronounced limp since, so my thursday sprints session was ruled out which is very frustrating but does provide some pre-race rest.

All of this post is pretty fantastic, but the finale is definitely the pinnacle! Incredible mileage, I'll break the 1k mark but that's sensational. You think you can make 2k?

Not really....just a lot of time (and bloody hotel treadmills when on work trips). I'd trade it all to be able to run at your pace ! As for 2k I don't think so now - would need me to do about 50mpw through to year end - I might hit that once or twice but more likely to be averaging about 35-45mpw. I've got 3 more marathons (at least) before year end which ironically usually lead to lower weekly mileage due to mini-tapers and recovery days

****! Well done.
I'll be passing 150miles in 47 outings on Saturday at Bevendean and that includes 30+ miles of walks.

Cheers.....interesting though that even a low mileage hasn't slowed you down much. We'd be neck and neck at the moment over 5k.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cheers.....interesting though that even a low mileage hasn't slowed you down much. We'd be neck and neck at the moment over 5k.

Only because I have a long neck.:lolol:

It is hard to believe that I'm at 90% of 18 months ago at 5k without including age. On an Age Grade I'm almost on par. Just from running flat out once a week on Saturday Parkrun and having a week to recover.

Obviously I'd drop 3 minutes on a 10k and would struggle to do more than jog over 8 miles.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not really....just a lot of time (and bloody hotel treadmills when on work trips). I'd trade it all to be able to run at your pace ! As for 2k I don't think so now - would need me to do about 50mpw through to year end - I might hit that once or twice but more likely to be averaging about 35-45mpw. I've got 3 more marathons (at least) before year end which ironically usually lead to lower weekly mileage due to mini-tapers and recovery days

He's getting faster!

You wanna get on that 100-miler then, Dazzer – that'll bring the weekly average down a bit! I'm on 933 for the year, so I'll easily make 1000 miles, but not sure about 1,200 (the original soft target) and deffo not 1,500 – respect to you for fitting it in.

While I'm here and talking mileage, I found out about these guys today – via Stephen Fry's Twatter feed of all places: https://www.sierra260.com/challenge

Looks tough, but fair play to them...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here