Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Ran the Market Deeping 10k yesterday in 39.21. The last 2 miles were into a headwind so lost loads of time. 28th place out of 242 finishers.

Another tremendous effort. I would love to go sub 40 by the end of the year but it's sub 6:30 minute miles which would be tough, my pb for 5k is 19:47 so I would pretty much need to run that twice which seems a tall order.

Went out today at 10:30 and managed to fit in a quick 4 miles in 26:41 average pace of 6:40.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ran the Market Deeping 10k yesterday in 39.21. The last 2 miles were into a headwind so lost loads of time. 28th place out of 242 finishers.

That's a great time....and position.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Another tremendous effort. I would love to go sub 40 by the end of the year but it's sub 6:30 minute miles which would be tough, my pb for 5k is 19:47 so I would pretty much need to run that twice which seems a tall order.

Went out today at 10:30 and managed to fit in a quick 4 miles in 26:41 average pace of 6:40.

Tough to mix speed and endurance, I ran max 10 miles at a stong pace and fit in more intervals, progressive fartlak runs and ditch the slow runs. Max 35 hours a week but packed with quality.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How many pairs of road-running shoes do people have on the go at any one time?

At my current 30-35 miles a week, I know I'll be through my Brooks GTS15s in another couple of months or so, assuming they're good for c500 miles before degradation sets in. I'm guessing I'm quite heavy on them, due to being quite heavy, and as my only pair they don't get much time to recover between runs.

Psychologically, it feels expensive to shell out another £100 so quickly (although they are cheaper online than from my local running shop) but that's obviously really not the case if I have two pairs in rotation.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

At my current 30-35 miles a week, I know I'll be through my Brooks GTS15s in another couple of months or so, assuming they're good for c500 miles before degradation sets in. I'm guessing I'm quite heavy on them, due to being quite heavy, and as my only pair they don't get much time to recover between runs.

Psychologically, it feels expensive to shell out another £100 so quickly (although they are cheaper online than from my local running shop) but that's obviously really not the case if I have two pairs in rotation.

I know some runners have 2 or more pairs on the go but personally I do not see the benefit or the point. I have a single pair and just replace them when I feel they need replacing. I have no method for determining when I need a replacement; I just keep an eye on them and if the soles are looking worn, or they start to rip somewhere (which my Brooks sometimes do) then it is time for a new pair.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
5 pairs for me.
Asic DS old pair for Parkrun. Lightweight little support.
Asics new pair super lightweight limited support.
Asics kayano for the mileage runs with loads of support.
brooks 15 newish so only for dry weather great support.
Trail shoes not used much for running but good for walking.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Uh-oh. Currently have the following on the go :

- 2 x brooks GTS road shoes (long road runs and dry Downs)
- 3 x brooks racer ST (one kept at work for the gym)
- 1 x Saucony Pegasus trail with custom insoles (mixed trail/long distance)
- 1 x Hoka Rapa Nui (alternate on long wet trail with Sauconys)
- 1 x Asics Enduro (damp trail, short distance)
- 1 x Inov8 Roclite 315 (slippery trail, very slow runs)
- 1 x Vivo Neo trail (offroad short 'barefoot')
- 1 x vibram 5finger Bikeles (calf-strengthening short intervals)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Tough to mix speed and endurance, I ran max 10 miles at a stong pace and fit in more intervals, progressive fartlak runs and ditch the slow runs. Max 35 hours a week but packed with quality.

Have a go at one session my (effing) coach seems to like - 7 miles at a relatively comfortable pace, then gun the last three miles at 5-10k pace.

100% agree with quality over quantity - definitely the way forward.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

....by the way, just buy the 14s. Identical to the 15s but I got two pairs for £99 last week (sportsshoes.com)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Uh-oh. Currently have the following on the go :

- 2 x brooks GTS road shoes (long road runs and dry Downs)
- 3 x brooks racer ST (one kept at work for the gym)
- 1 x Saucony Pegasus trail with custom insoles (mixed trail/long distance)
- 1 x Hoka Rapa Nui (alternate on long wet trail with Sauconys)
- 1 x Asics Enduro (damp trail, short distance)
- 1 x Inov8 Roclite 315 (slippery trail, very slow runs)
- 1 x Vivo Neo trail (offroad short 'barefoot')
- 1 x vibram 5finger Bikeles (calf-strengthening short intervals)

I can your need for specific shoes for different terrain. But why do you have 2 pairs of the same road shoes? Is there benefit to be had?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I can your need for specific shoes for different terrain. But why do you have 2 pairs of the same road shoes? Is there benefit to be had?

Not really, but it does annoy the Mrs [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]
I hate chucking 'good' shoes away, so unless they are falling apart they still get the odd run-out (particularly if I am doing a mixed-terrain run and expect a bit of mud) and I use the newer pair for longer runs or races

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not really, but it does annoy the Mrs [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]
I hate chucking 'good' shoes away, so unless they are falling apart they still get the odd run-out (particularly if I am doing a mixed-terrain run and expect a bit of mud) and I use the newer pair for longer runs or races

I see. I used to save my old running shoes for Glastonbury!

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Have a go at one session my (effing) coach seems to like - 7 miles at a relatively comfortable pace, then gun the last three miles at 5-10k pace.

100% agree with quality over quantity - definitely the way forward.

I'm running 10 miles 20 seconds Per mile slower than my 10k race pace at present. I just look at what other people are doing and cherry pick what I think will work. My interval 1k spits are run 30 sec faster, keep working at those times and it should bring my race pace down. Keep it simple Good luck

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here