Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So I literally just finished my 20 miler to add to my 17 last weekend. 3hrs 40 - had to walk a few times at end up hills as hamstring hurt... I am a month from my marathon (Paris) - someone pls give me some confidence that with one more long run and several shorter ones and Hastings half that I can do it... pls! Ps hammy injury is helped if I stop every couple of miles to stretch once I get past 10 miles!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So I literally just finished my 20 miler to add to my 17 last weekend. 3hrs 40 - had to walk a few times at end up hills as hamstring hurt... I am a month from my marathon (Paris) - someone pls give me some confidence that with one more long run and several shorter ones and Hastings half that I can do it... pls! Ps hammy injury is helped if I stop every couple of miles to stretch once I get past 10 miles!

The longest I did to prepare for Brighton 2016 was 18 miles and I was fine, give or take a few seconds. I tapered for 2 weeks as well. Sounds like you're on track. Run/walking the end of a marathon is a sign of character :lol: :

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Best Strava trace EVER [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

https://www.strava.com/activities/1448023551

Southend Pier marathon. After a week of managing tendinitis and glute issues, will happily take a time of about 4.12, include being battered by [MENTION=12697]Steve Foster[/MENTION] who is a machine at the moment in his 100 in 100 quest.

First marathon ever on the pier apparently. Wasn’t as dull as it sounds and the time clicked by OK. Another creative thinking masterpiece by the loons at Sussex Trail Events.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

One 20 is plenty [emoji106][emoji106], well done. Course you can do it. As for walking, you’ll see loads walking from before half way. Don’t worry about it, it’s 100% normal.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
You can teach an old dog the tricks he already knows but brain fuddled by 60 days without alcohol has caused me to feel more hydrated every morning.

So set off today for 13.1 mile final taper run to Dyke and back today. Relaxed mood as short run after 20 miles the other week. Had the usual cashew, brazil, almond, macadamia, all ground, chia seed, linseed, goji berries, banana, raisins, buckwheat and coconut oil breakfast. Preceded by usual 8 espressos. Foolishly did not have any water this morning and did not take any on the run. 2 hours later I was ********. Lost 6lbs in weight. Have drunk 7 pints water and water/juice drinks since but have only dribbled out a delightful wine glass of orange coloured pee. Feeling better now and will certainly get fluid down me today and all week. Good news the breakfast works well on a run.

Great run [MENTION=67]Curious Orange[/MENTION]. Hopefully I'll get near that pace in a 5K once this year. Like the way you got in the undulating course unlike flat as a pancake Worthing.

That sounds pretty bad!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Southend Pier marathon. After a week of managing tendinitis and glute issues, will happily take a time of about 4.12, include being battered by [MENTION=12697]Steve Foster[/MENTION] who is a machine at the moment in his 100 in 100 quest.

First marathon ever on the pier apparently. Wasn’t as dull as it sounds and the time clicked by OK. Another creative thinking masterpiece by the loons at Sussex Trail Events.

That Srava trace is hilarious. Well done amazing stuff (although I think you’re completely nuts!)

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Do a long run but only to the point where you aren’t hating it. Better to do 16 miles and remember it as enjoyable. Also it’s better to walk before you injure yourself/get cramp otherwise you’ll be dragging a leg for the last 10 miles, still walking but more slowly. Make sure you take fluid at every station (see Knocky!)

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Sounds fine - plenty of stretching and rolling on the hamstring.

After tapering you’ll be amazed how much fresher you feel on the day.

Just remember start slow/finish strong.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sounds fine - plenty of stretching and rolling on the hamstring.

After tapering you’ll be amazed how much fresher you feel on the day.

Just remember start slow/finish strong.

This. Also worth knowing that DURING tapering you’ll probably feel completely shit due to lack of running. Don’t be surprised to feel bloated, edgy and worried that every slight pain is a cataclysmic end to your running. It isn’t....it’s just ‘taper madness’. It’s normal. Annoying, but normal.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003

Agreed, the Strava is magnificent. Starting that would have driven me insane. Massive kudos for finishing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Question about the accuracy of apps. I use Nike+ on an I-phone 7. Went running with a mate off the ship for a 10k in Alicante last week. His watch, Samsung, measured it at only 7.5k. That's a big difference. I'm pretty sure that the Nike+ app is pretty accurate, especially running outdoors as it uses GPS. Any thoughts?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Early bird entries for the NSC favourite half (Worthing) has just opened. £26.50 which isn't bad, still 50+ spaces left at that price then it goes up to £31.50 for the next 50.

Discount code is on their website.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Post script. The official results have me at 25.30 and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] at 24.59 when we crossed the line together. I assume caused by the massive FAFF I was doing looking for my bar code. So, for once, I'm taking the unofficial watch time. 25.00 just looks SO much better :p

Just had a look at this and I reckon you're the 133rd placed 'unknown'. I'm 99.9% sure you were two in front of me when we finished and I'm placed 135. If you're THAT bothered about it, I bet you can get it sorted with the team (I had to do it last week when I was down as an unknown due to a scanning cock-up) via the FB group or email...

Either way, a cracking sprint finish past the basketball courts and final stretch.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Question about the accuracy of apps. I use Nike+ on an I-phone 7. Went running with a mate off the ship for a 10k in Alicante last week. His watch, Samsung, measured it at only 7.5k. That's a big difference. I'm pretty sure that the Nike+ app is pretty accurate, especially running outdoors as it uses GPS. Any thoughts?

Any tracking on a phone will be a bit crap.....and unless it’s a proper GPS running watch I’d be dubious about the results. They don’t ping the satellites often enough.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I used Nike+ for years (on iPod and then on a phone). It was only when I switched to a Garmin I realised how inaccurate it could be sometimes. So Nike+ tracking 10k for what is actually a 7.5k run in the real would doesn't sound too surprising, I'm afraid...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Just had a look at this and I reckon you're the 133rd placed 'unknown'. I'm 99.9% sure you were two in front of me when we finished and I'm placed 135. If you're THAT bothered about it, I bet you can get it sorted with the team (I had to do it last week when I was down as an unknown due to a scanning cock-up) via the FB group or email...

Either way, a cracking sprint finish past the basketball courts and final stretch.

Cheers! No, really not that bothered beyond here. It doesn’t matter, I know what I did and I don’t want to give much needed volunteers grief. But I know that on here we check each other’s Strava and race results so just wanted to call out the discrepancy.

Was actually happier with the last part of that run than I have been with any other run since coming back.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Yes you can do it! Not much time left so better not to repeat the 20.
Be careful with Hasting's Half the long downhill can ruin tired legs from the long uphill start. Best to relax and not go flat out despite that tempting descent.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Cheers! No, really not that bothered beyond here. It doesn’t matter, I know what I did and I don’t want to give much needed volunteers grief. But I know that on here we check each other’s Strava and race results so just wanted to call out the discrepancy.

Was actually happier with the last part of that run than I have been with any other run since coming back.

That's probably all down to the pacer and his 'encouragement' during the last km :lol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yes you can do it! Not much time left so better not to repeat the 20.
Be careful with Hasting's Half the long downhill can ruin tired legs from the long uphill start. Best to relax and not go flat out despite that tempting descent.

Got date wrong so now not doing it. Maybe one more long run and a few 6-10 milers to taper and see what I can squeeze in. Working full time and having a daughter makes training time tricky but 12.5 / 13 / 17 / 20 in the last 4 weeks have helped.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here