Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don’t want to push it too hard in the first one. I need to gain the experience of completing the distance before I go for speed. So I won’t be trying to get anywhere near that. But if you and the calculator are saying it is in some way realistic that gives me belief that I can achieve the sub-3:30. Thanks for the link:thumbsup:

Good plan.....start on a 3.30 pace (given your half time you’ll find that very easy) and stick to it.....if you’re feeling good with 5-6 miles to go you can up it then.....

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I ran 1.46 in 2016 and did Brighton Marathon in 4.00.06. I know it doesn't TECHNICALLY count but I stopped actually running for far more than 6 seconds, seeing my kids, tying my laces, stopping to pick up gels at the last 2 aid stations and having a sneaky walk round the power station. As [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] says I also went off FAR too quickly - I did the first HM in 1.53 and ran the first couple of miles at 8.00 instead of 8.45 - and made a few other mistakes along the way. Train hard and stay disciplined on the day and you should be in with a very good chance.

let it go........

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
let it go........

elsa.jpg

Not going to happen until I run a sub 4 :lolol:

FannieMac

Jan 4, 2014
100% yes - no question. But you need to do some double run days because you won't believe how your legs will feel at mile 20. This week I'm going to double run on wednesday and probably next sunday too. It's the only way to prepare yourself, but you do that - and you will be able to run sub-4.

Thanks for all the responses. This will be my first marathon. I’m planning 4*20 mile runs over the next 4 weekends (first one tomorrow) and maybe sneak in an extra 2 miles on one of them depending how I feel. Everyone says the last 10K is the worst, and not to set yourself a time goal for your first one, but would love to start off with a sub 4

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thanks for all the responses. This will be my first marathon. I’m planning 4*20 mile runs over the next 4 weekends (first one tomorrow) and maybe sneak in an extra 2 miles on one of them depending how I feel. Everyone says the last 10K is the worst, and not to set yourself a time goal for your first one, but would love to start off with a sub 4
As negative as it sounds - expect the worst and anything else is a bonus. I'm about the same time as you for a half and I've managed a sub-4 once. Personally I get too caught up in the moment and start too fast. But the last six miles I'm screwed.

I'm REALLY trying to slow it down in training and we'll see what happens. Good advice from the others - I hope you we both get the times we want on 15th April 🖒🖒🤞

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
As negative as it sounds - expect the worst and anything else is a bonus. I'm about the same time as you for a half and I've managed a sub-4 once. Personally I get too caught up in the moment and start too fast. But the last six miles I'm screwed.

I'm REALLY trying to slow it down in training and we'll see what happens. Good advice from the others - I hope you we both get the times we want on 15th April ������

You stole those words from me. :lolol:

This year I'll ignore my Macmillan predicted time of 3:40 and aim at 3:59:59.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Can I add my name to the 'You're Screwed in the Last 6 Miles Club' please?
The weird thing is, I've done a 24-mile training run at sub-4 pace no bother. But when it comes to the big day? No chance!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My 235 is completely buggered. Won't charge or record a run. Third one going back to Garmin :rant:

Without it I just went for a very easy paced run to continue to get over last week with a few steep but short hills thrown in. Ran Hove Park and St Ann's Well, the undulating Neville Road and down Furze Hill before finishing flat on the seafront.

Really enjoyed the freedom of just running where I felt at a nice slow plod but gutted that I appear to have wasted money on useless tech.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I wouldn’t do 4 x 20. There’s no need, it increases the injury risk and will also deplete your systems.......at least drop one of the weeks down (would suggest 2 x 20, then an easy week of say 10-12 then a 22 ?). Also make sure you fuel and hydrate on the long run as you plan to in the race itself - it’s not just the distance that can bite you on the arse......

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Anybody out there run the Steyning Stinger today? I was one of the photography team. You might have seen me shivering just after Chanctonbury Ring or just before the turn for home at 24 miles. I was wearing my BHAFC beanie and definitely saw some Seagull related attire go by.

In any event: props to you all if you did 26 miles in that this morning. I'll be joining you all six weeks from today for the Marathon and this time I'll have trainers on and be joining in.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Anybody out there run the Steyning Stinger today? I was one of the photography team. You might have seen me shivering just after Chanctonbury Ring or just before the turn for home at 24 miles. I was wearing my BHAFC beanie and definitely saw some Seagull related attire go by.

In any event: props to you all if you did 26 miles in that this morning. I'll be joining you all six weeks from today for the Marathon and this time I'll have trainers on and be joining in.

BM alone or with Rhino?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Went out for a lovely trail run with the Brighton Tri team. Black Rock car park to castle hill and a loop taking in snaky Hill and back.

As much as I enjoyed it I’m not enjoying everything below the waist breaking down. Add right calf to IT band and the visit to Jesus Tuesday can’t come soon enough.

No events planned until the BM 10k so plenty of time to recuperate but would like to run the new Lancing College 10k fitness permitting.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Inspired by the match I ran a HM PB according to Garmin of 1h 25m 15s although on Strava it is registered as 1h 26m. I took a toilet stop and paused the watch but I'll still take it!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here