Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Btw what is it about running the Worthing/Lancing seafront that makes everyone so sociable.

As someone who runs Brighton seafront pretty much everyday and barely get a grimaced smile in passing. In comparison, it is a bit strange doing the occasional run along Lancing and 9 out of 10 people waving or saying hello.

Poor comradery with Brighton runners.

That's us West Sussex folk for you. Cross the border into the East and you may as well not bother acknowledging them!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I come seeking NSC running wisdom...

After popping a hamstring at Hove park on the first Saturday of 2018, I made my parkrun return this weekend with a very sedate 27.22. After 5 weeks of recovery/kicking my heels I'm trying to build my distances back up, went out yesterday and completed 10.8 miles in 1hr 40. Thing is, today my legs ache a lot and with an eye on the Brighton half this coming weekend what should my plan be for this week? I was planning a couple more runs to get me closer to the 13.1 distance as I was dead on my feet at the end of yesterday but I don't really want to risk the hammy popping again! If I can get through the half I'm reasonably confident I can build up in time for the Brighton marathon.

What should I do?

Agree with previous comments. Maybe 3-4 miles on Wednesday with 4 half miles thrown in at near planned half marathon pace with jog recovery.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not sure how many of us lurk on the snow thread but the latest long range models have Sunday VERY cold with an Easterly and the chance of snow showers :eek:

Personally I'm fine with running in the cold but not so fond of snow and finishing in head winds. Keep 'em peeled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Not sure how many of us lurk on the snow thread but the latest long range models have Sunday VERY cold with an Easterly and the chance of snow showers :eek:

Personally I'm fine with running in the cold but not so fond of snow and finishing in head winds. Keep 'em peeled.

I've been on a fair few snowy runs recently. I find it fine to run when it's actually snowing, much nicer than rain. It's only a problem if a good amount of it has settled. You find yourself working your legs twice as hard to keep yourself going at the same pace.

Ice on the other hand :ohmy: I went down one path on Sunday where I'd have been better off wearing skates.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sounds ghastly. Maybe we should get a super early NSC run organised for this summer? It might be more bearable when it’s light.
Sounds good to me...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've been on a fair few snowy runs recently. I find it fine to run when it's actually snowing, much nicer than rain. It's only a problem if a good amount of it has settled. You find yourself working your legs twice as hard to keep yourself going at the same pace.

Ice on the other hand :ohmy: I went down one path on Sunday where I'd have been better off wearing skates.

Latest net weather has it dry but incredibly cold. Probably ok running weather if you can get your breathing sorted but I'll be finding some old gloves and a jumper I don't mind losing to wear before the start! I've been ok on early frosty / icy runs before, hopefully the fast guys will melt the surface for us plodders.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
As there seems to be a number of NSC runners preparing for a marathon, I thought you might be interested in this. I can't commend it as such - just putting it out there in case it's of use. Happy running!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...-updated-formula-for-marathon-running-success

Late to marathons I've done BM every year except last. I've followed that formula every time. 3:40 and a time that a mate got 20 years ago is a challenging time. Second year I got a steady 3:50. Next three all ended arse up either side of the 4 hours as I failed for the elusive hunt for 3:40 (half marathon times still ok).
Thinking of the train system in Italy in the 80's has helped me considerably. Plagued with 90% of cross Italy trains being late by half an hour some bright spark rewrote the timetable adding 30" to all journeys. Problem solved (maybe an urban myth).

Following this I've targeted 4 hours and long run drops to 10 and marathon pace 9". Other factors to drop down from 1.6 are low accumulative mileage due to recent return from running and needing 2 days recovery from Sunday Long runs due to age and DOMS.

On a more interesting note got chatted up by 80 year old running Worthing Oxfam Bookshop yesterday. Playing Land of Hope and Glory she had to whisper that she was an anti monarchist Republican. I countered with Clockwork Orange and she brought up Lady Chatterley's Lover. What a girl!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Late to marathons I've done BM every year except last. I've followed that formula every time. 3:40 and a time that a mate got 20 years ago is a challenging time. Second year I got a steady 3:50. Next three all ended arse up either side of the 4 hours as I failed for the elusive hunt for 3:40 (half marathon times still ok).
Thinking of the train system in Italy in the 80's has helped me considerably. Plagued with 90% of cross Italy trains being late by half an hour some bright spark rewrote the timetable adding 30" to all journeys. Problem solved (maybe an urban myth).

Following this I've targeted 4 hours and long run drops to 10 and marathon pace 9". Other factors to drop down from 1.6 are low accumulative mileage due to recent return from running and needing 2 days recovery from Sunday Long runs due to age and DOMS.

On a more interesting note got chatted up by 80 year old running Worthing Oxfam Bookshop yesterday. Playing Land of Hope and Glory she had to whisper that she was an anti monarchist Republican. I countered with Clockwork Orange and she brought up Lady Chatterley's Lover. What a girl!

She looked 80 but by Worthing standards she was probably an intern.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Latest net weather has it dry but incredibly cold. Probably ok running weather if you can get your breathing sorted but I'll be finding some old gloves and a jumper I don't mind losing to wear before the start! I've been ok on early frosty / icy runs before, hopefully the fast guys will melt the surface for us plodders.

Just checked and the lows on Sunday are -2° apparently! That'll be nice. Glad I didn't pack up the winter weather gear now...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well, my mate Dave has pulled out of the Brighton Half due to fear of the distance. He is the guy who effectively paid my entry to the Bright10 (and I set a 10 mile time quicker than his 10k PB!), and he's come up trumps again.

[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] - Re-match?!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Well, my mate Dave has pulled out of the Brighton Half due to fear of the distance. He is the guy who effectively paid my entry to the Bright10 (and I set a 10 mile time quicker than his 10k PB!), and he's come up trumps again.

[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] - Re-match?!

Of course. Let's try and start together if we can this time.

You will start as strong bookies favourite and most of the spread betting markets are going above or below 30 seconds so I know I have my work cut out.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A non show at the start line [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] and I reckon [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] takes the Gold. Although [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] must be in with a shout and the right to run incognito.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Of course. Let's try and start together if we can this time.

You will start as strong bookies favourite and most of the spread betting markets are going above or below 30 seconds so I know I have my work cut out.

A non show at the start line [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] and I reckon [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] takes the Gold. Although [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] must be in with a shout and the right to run incognito.

I'm not sure if I want to start with you, I might try and use you as a pacer and then try to nick the win close to the line! I'm not so worried about a PB this time, I'm not in the state of readiness that I was for Worthing. I'm worried ONLY about getting the NSC Gold medal this time! Another solid run from [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] yesterday means we both need to be a little bit wary. I'll be keeping a beady eye on him at the Roedean turn.

I'd like to believe I can comfortably make the start time, but I should be honest with everyone and admit it's not a certainty!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
shame they can't wear a NSC kit (or cloak) so we know who they are on Sunday

Mrs harmonica is involved with the Christmas decorations at the Amex. Barber didn’t like these and they got binned. I think I still have 7 or 8 we could use to form some kind of hat so all NSC runners were easily recognisable. D2086C35-7186-4BC3-A1AB-B1CF76CC44B9.jpeg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here