Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Just got back from another. Had to stop after 12 minutes, got terrible cramp in my right calf. Must not have done enough of a warm up. Any tips on a good warmup for beginners?

Still, got a mile done in those 12 minutes. Pleased with that!

Reading this reminds me when I started off about four years ago now. For the first three years I suffered from sore calves without fail (only a mile or two into every run), shin splits were also par for the course. This despite warming up prior to every run.

Then about a year ago I decided to invest in a new pair of running trainers. Nothing too fancy, about 50 quid. The improvements were remarkable. No more shin splits, no more tight calves and no more heavy legs. To this day I haven't suffered, there is a lot to be said for running in the correct/proper footwear. Completed my first half marathon on Sunday in 1:49:30. Next target is a sub 4 hour marathon next year

Stick with it. A good standard of fitness way seem a lifetime away in these early stages and I won't lie to you and say it'll happen over night. There's an awful lot of pain and set backs to overcome but the rewards make it worthwhile.

The things you're describing now is the exact reason why I will never let my running slip. Fear of going back to them painful early stages is enough of a deterrent.

Remember, it'll never get more painful than it is now. The only way is up!!

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Just got back from another. Had to stop after 12 minutes, got terrible cramp in my right calf. Must not have done enough of a warm up. Any tips on a good warmup for beginners?

You probably don't really need much of a warm up for 12 min/mile pace, especially in this heat. Cramp is more likely from the shock of the new exercise regime; maybe try eating a banana for the potassium.

Some may be able to give better advice than me on this though - I've never done pre run stretching in 20+ years of road and track running.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Finally got my act together and started running. It's killing me! My runs are more like 'jog for thirty seconds, feel like I'm going to pass out, stop, rest, jog for another thirty seconds'. Useless! I did manage the marina and back from the Wheel on Sunday morning though. Quite pleased with that.

Was this second run also run/walk?

If it was it sounds to me like you are trying to run too fast. Slow down, then try to run that 12 minute mile without stopping. It will feel like you aren't going much faster than walking pace but you're less likely to get injured and you'll be able to build distance and/or speed slowly over time.

Enjoy it!

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
To the two posters above, one starting out, and one in pain from injury, the advice about footwear is page one. Get gait analysis done and get the correct footwear, even if you are not running atm...

I used to be in pain most of the time when running, and accepted it as the old, 'No pain, no gain...' malarkey :nono:

I then remembered someone had given me a book called Marathon Training For Dummies (a good judge of character LOL)

Now I'm not advocating diving in with the remit of going for the Full Monty, but mention it because there is a very good section in there on pre and post run stretches

The concept they advocate is AIS, or Active Isolated Stretching. You need a three metre bit of 18mm rope, somewhere to lie flat, and the dedication and perserverance to go through a repetitive routine before and after your runs

I came back after twenty months out with an injury, started doing the stretches religiously and had no pain from that point on :)

Google AIS stretches and find what's best for you

Perhaps other established runners on here have some thoughts?

To the poster with the injury, it sounds ligature based, so perhaps a regime of AIS twice a day might have a positive effect?

It's just a suggestion, as it worked for me, but everyone is different, and pain is usually a sign of damage, so don't overdo it :)

Good Luck

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Finally got my act together and started running. It's killing me! My runs are more like 'jog for thirty seconds, feel like I'm going to pass out, stop, rest, jog for another thirty seconds'. Useless! I did manage the marina and back from the Wheel on Sunday morning though. Quite pleased with that.

To be honest, that is probably how most people started, myself included. It was June/July time when I began running and I can remember going out of the house, up the road, and back down again. Slowly, but surely, the distances got longer and I started going AROUND the park, instead of turning for home when I got to the entrance. First race (Duck Pond Waddle) in December, first half marathon in February, and by April I was at the start line of the London Marathon. Apart from a couple of lapses, I've never looked back, and make sure I keep on running...

I echo the comments about investing in proper trainers. I ran in rubbish Nike Courtez to start and got an injury, and then went to The Jog Shop and they really sorted me out with some really comfortable New Balance. Never a brand I would dream of buying, but they offered so much support, and by the end of their life, they were like a pair of old slippers!

Good luck.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have joined NSC Strollers on Garmin Connect. Just getting back into it after a few months off with an injury, doing a (track) marathon in 3 weeks time #massivelyundertrained

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

A bottle of wine the night before the Bluebell 10k and a 20 mile bike ride to get there led to cramp half way round. As in the middle of the Angmerig estate woods I had to hop and limp to the finish line and managed to get my first LAST finish. Went to sports injury man saying was it this or that. He said no it is purely dehydration caused by excess alcohol and not enough intake of water in the morning. So wee clear before running not yellow should see you right.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
To be honest, that is probably how most people started, myself included. It was June/July time when I began running and I can remember going out of the house, up the road, and back down again. Slowly, but surely, the distances got longer and I started going AROUND the park, instead of turning for home when I got to the entrance. First race (Duck Pond Waddle) in December, first half marathon in February, and by April I was at the start line of the London Marathon. Apart from a couple of lapses, I've never looked back, and make sure I keep on running...

I echo the comments about investing in proper trainers. I ran in rubbish Nike Courtez to start and got an injury, and then went to The Jog Shop and they really sorted me out with some really comfortable New Balance. Never a brand I would dream of buying, but they offered so much support, and by the end of their life, they were like a pair of old slippers!

Good luck.

Agree 100%. I have wide feet, so New Balance or Asics are much better than the likes of Nike. Definitely getting the bug, since starting running after reading this thread and hearing a few stories about the Brighton Marathon I've managed three 10k races, the support you get is amazing, and have my first 10 mile this Sunday, which I am dreading. Have entered a half marathon in San Fran in September, and the Brighton Marathon for next April (people are questioning my sexuality as a result). Joining a running club tonight, some are really snotty and won't want anything to do with someone like me, but have found one which is very welcoming, and they don't mind me bringing up the rear apparently.

I'm still far too fat, slow and old, but have lost 7kg since taking up running, but need to treble that before I can see my **** again over my stomach.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Depends on how training is going at that point - will be doing the SDW50 the week before so hoping to use it as a recovery run - main aim is to get in shape for the SDW100 in June having missd it this year.

Christ that's hardcore! nice 1500m for me last night. I will stretch to the odd half marathon, but thats it!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agree 100%. I have wide feet, so New Balance or Asics are much better than the likes of Nike. Definitely getting the bug, since starting running after reading this thread and hearing a few stories about the Brighton Marathon I've managed three 10k races, the support you get is amazing, and have my first 10 mile this Sunday, which I am dreading. Have entered a half marathon in San Fran in September, and the Brighton Marathon for next April (people are questioning my sexuality as a result). Joining a running club tonight, some are really snotty and won't want anything to do with someone like me, but have found one which is very welcoming, and they don't mind me bringing up the rear apparently.

I'm still far too fat, slow and old, but have lost 7kg since taking up running, but need to treble that before I can see my **** again over my stomach.

Wide feet here too - use mostly Brooks on the road, and Inov8 in the mud. Both plenty of room in the toe-box. Jog Shop will sort you out with something suitable - one thing though, if your form is bad, no shoe will make it better, and might make things worse by compensating for it and causing other problems. If you can develop a strong mid-foot gait (have a look at ChiRunning and POSE technique for example), good core strength (don't neglect core conditioning like I did when I started running, it's massively important) and posture this will be far more help in avoiding traditional running injuries. I speak with experience and many £££££ of physio bills unfortunately. I was 18 stone when I started with a wheezy 2 minute jog - it doesn't get easier, but you get a lot more for the same perceived effort as you improve.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Christ that's hardcore! nice 1500m for me last night. I will stretch to the odd half marathon, but thats it!

Hah. Only if I actually get to the start....failed miserably this year after a good 2013 (8 marathons/ultras and London to Brighton 64 miler). Old age/overuse etc. Ho hum.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Have joined NSC Strollers on Garmin Connect. Just getting back into it after a few months off with an injury, doing a (track) marathon in 3 weeks time #massivelyundertrained

Have finally joined up to this

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I'm glad this got bounced

I had five weeks off, as couldn't run in the heat

Did three 10k's in the week and felt good

I found I was concentrating too much on the times I was running, and thinking about pushing my distances, so that it was clogging my mind with pressure...

I'm now going to run without these encumberances, through the autumn/winter, and be ready for April 12th. '15 :)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Have finally joined up to this

I'm on this, but am really into Strava with all the segments that you can challenge yourself with against other local runners.

Did an Olympic distance triathlon today: ok swim, decent run on a tough course, unfortunately I had a disaster of a bike ride with 2 punctures!!! I should have finished in time to follow some of the first half and all the second half of today's game on the match thread. In the end I just about got to read the injury time desperation posts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here