Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Organisers can sell expo places to exhibitors as they know 15000+ people will turn up.....and avoids the hassle of lost in post numbers, address changes etc. Agree if you're not local it's a right pain up the arse.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Just got back from the expo, lots of interesting stands to check out. Ate all of the free samples going and now in some sort of carb coma on the sofa. Have to find the energy to drive back down to the Amex in a bit!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
31 Park Runs completed and I've finally gone sub-20 minutes (just).

Feeling pretty pleased with myself as it really doesn't seem that long ago I was following a walk to run training plan (and smoking).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Feeling pretty pleased with myself as it really doesn't seem that long ago I was following a walk to run training plan (and smoking).

Blimey - that's very impressive and also inspirational.

Congratulations!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

There's nothing quite like that first sub-20 minutes at a Park Run. Are you a Hove Parker or a Preston Parker? I've not been able to get up in time for a Park Run for a while.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
There's nothing quite like that first sub-20 minutes at a Park Run. Are you a Hove Parker or a Preston Parker? I've not been able to get up in time for a Park Run for a while.

Neither, Stoke Park in Guildford is my local Park Run.

I never used to be able to get up early either - but having two children under the age of four seems to have "cured" me of that!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Blimey - that's very impressive and also inspirational.

Congratulations!

Thanks, it was meant as encouragement, so I'm glad it has been taken as such.

You never know someone on this board may turn out to be the next Steve Way.

P.S. just had the official time as 19:58.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Thanks, it was meant as encouragement, so I'm glad it has been taken as such.

You never know someone on this board may turn out to be the next Steve Way.

P.S. just had the official time as 19:58.

Great effort - sub 20 is a real landmark time and one I've only just cracked myself. A sub 40 10k is my new target.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Great effort - sub 20 is a real landmark time and one I've only just cracked myself. A sub 40 10k is my new target.

Thanks, sub 40 on a 10k is ambitious, so I wish you all the best with that.

I've got a 10k lined up for next weekend, and am aiming for sub 43 minutes as that has been about my 10k split on the half marathons I've done in recent weeks - I'd be dead chuffed to get anywhere close to 40 minutes.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Guess I'm the first one back then.

Not one but two new PBs today. Chip time for the 10k was 55.16. On the one hand annoying as i wanted to run sub 55 and started in the wrong part of the start line due to inexperience and no markings and then got caught in the only pinch point but still smashed my previous by 3 mins 20 secs. I read my mile splits of 9.40/ 9.01 / 9.04 / 8.40 / 8.38 / 8.41 in the same voice Jim Bowen uses when he says "look what you could have won". My watch also tells me i ran the first 5k in 26.51 which is also a PB and doesn't take in to account the difference between click on the watch and the chip in my vest.

I have to say the whole Brighton Marathon weekend is brilliantly organised and is just a top, top event. Sat in a deck chair with the sun on my face watching the winner (a Kenyan called Mayo!) stride easily home and waking up to cheer home [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] was the perfect post race wind down.

Next plans are to steadily up the distance, mostly with my mate and his dog over the Downs before winding up for next year's half and full. Brooks 10k and Santa Run will defintely feature plus whatever 10ks or halfs I find myself with time for.

Well done in advance to everyone on here who completed either the 10k or main event, look forward to reading your times,

EDIT - which are already on the marathon thread :facepalm:

Last edited:

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Not one but two new PBs today. Chip time for the 10k was 55.16. On the one hand annoying as i wanted to run sub 55 and started in the wrong part of the start line due to inexperience and no markings and then got caught in the only pinch point but still smashed my previous by 3 mins 20 secs. I read my mile splits of 9.40/ 9.01 / 9.04 / 8.40 / 8.38 / 8.41 in the same voice Jim Bowen uses when he says "look what you could have won". My watch also tells me i ran the first 5k in 26.51 which is also a PB and doesn't take in to account the difference between click on the watch and the chip in my vest.

I have to say the whole Brighton Marathon weekend is brilliantly organised and is just a top, top event. Sat in a deck chair with the sun on my face watching the winner (a Kenyan called Mayo!) stride easily home and waking up to cheer home [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] was the perfect post race wind down.

Next plans are to steadily up the distance, mostly with my mate and his dog over the Downs before winding up for next year's half and full. Brooks 10k and Santa Run will defintely feature plus whatever 10ks or halfs I find myself with time for.

Well done in advance to everyone on here who completed either the 10k or main event, look forward to reading your times,

EDIT - which are already on the marathon thread :facepalm:

That's a brilliant performance, especially given how recently you started serious training - well done.

Was a great day all round -- I came in at just over 48min on the chip time, which was a personal best for me, although I was hoping for a bit faster. Great to watch all the marathon runners coming in -- best was the scowl on Tony Bloom's face at around 25 miles when someone shouted from the crowd "what about a new contract for Calde?!"

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Fantastic stuff - well done!

How much of the improvement would you attribute to the event itself - other runners and the support of the crowd?

I had no intention of entering any events but the Worthing 10k appeals now, given what others say about the 'boost' these events provides.

It's been a poor week for me - just two 5 mile runs as I'm still feeling the effects of stretching myself to 13 and a bit miles last Sunday. I'm currently trying to summon up the motivation for a 10-miler later, but it's pretty windy out there.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just got home. Did 3.53, which I am very happy with after last week's longer one. Legs almost disowned me at 20 miles but ground out the last 6 somehow.

Brilliant event, Brighton has really grabbed the whole spirit of the thing and made it great. The paper cups were a shambles though.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Sad day at Chez Higham. Mrs H was due to be running the full marathon this morning, which was to be her third doing the full monty in Brighton. We had a great day in town yesterday, as we came down to pick up her race bib. Then she was struck down with a vomiting bug overnight and that was that. Months of preparation (and a shedload of cash) flushed away in an instant. It might have been easier for her if the weather hadn't been so glorious but it has looked like the most wonderful day down there.

:cry:

Still. You've always got to look for the positives. Applications open on Tuesday and the plan is for her to get straight back on the horse. I'm going to join you all next year and make Brighton my debut marathon. See you all there.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sad day at Chez Higham. Mrs H was due to be running the full marathon this morning, which was to be her third doing the full monty in Brighton. We had a great day in town yesterday, as we came down to pick up her race bib. Then she was struck down with a vomiting bug overnight and that was that. Months of preparation (and a shedload of cash) flushed away in an instant. It might have been easier for her if the weather hadn't been so glorious but it has looked like the most wonderful day down there.

Still. You've always got to look for the positives. Applications open on Tuesday and the plan is for her to get straight back on the horse. I'm going to join you all next year and make Brighton my debut marathon. See you all there.

Sorry to hear that, what a pisser........good luck for next year

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Fantastic stuff - well done!

How much of the improvement would you attribute to the event itself - other runners and the support of the crowd?

I had no intention of entering any events but the Worthing 10k appeals now, given what others say about the 'boost' these events provides.

It's been a poor week for me - just two 5 mile runs as I'm still feeling the effects of stretching myself to 13 and a bit miles last Sunday. I'm currently trying to summon up the motivation for a 10-miler later, but it's pretty windy out there.

The event adrenaline and the crowd are a massive factor. If I'd stood in the right place at the start I would have run sub 55 against a PB of 58.03 that was approximate given it was measured on the app. The buzz is amazing. I bounced out of bed this morning despite about three hours nervous sleep and the support of the crowd gets you going. However, what's really useful is actually racing people. You'll quickly find people you can use as pacers and others who'll annoy you enough to want to pass them on principle.

So. a properly measured distance and a racing boost to your time. Highly recommended.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
One minor gripe, on the Mill Road P&R they picked everyone up at the bottom rather than following the line of parked cars then afterwards dropped everybody off again at the bottom and made them walk up the ****ing hill!! I could really have done without that!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Make the most of all thst training, still spaces here in 4 weeks.
http://www.halsteadroadrunners.org....ing_wp_cron=1428690184.3181829452514648437500

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here