Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Haha very good. Worth a listen actually.....all nice and informal.

They've got rest areas if the runners want to use them apparently. Bear in mind for Lawson though 400k will be less than 48 hours probably (he's got a 24 hour best of over 270km).

That's just bonkers.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Taken a few weeks off running races recently as had been overdoing it! Back on Sunday with the Arundel 10k, then Sunday 10th September the Littlehampton 10k.

Anyone done either of these before? I know Arundel is partly off road and also I imagine hilly! Looking forward to it.

I have also just signed up for the 2018 Edinburgh Marathon on Sunday 27th May. If I stay injury free and complete the other two I have booked then that will be marathon number 9. I am also looking at the Loch Ness marathon in September 2018 for number 10, that is apparently a tough course. You get bussed out from Inverness and run back!

Happy bank holiday running and drinking and football watching :)

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
ps Did anyone see "the pacemakers" on BBC 2 last night? It was about "older" people running, it concentrated on people over 90 still doing the 100 meters. It was brilliant! Well worth catching on iplayer!

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Sounds interesting. I'll watch with interest as that's something I'd like to do to and try and get a new 5k PB after about five years!

Well I have laid out a plan with a repeating 4 week cycle. It has ended up with a bit more distance in it than I intended, with the purpose of ensuring aerobic fitness balanced by strength and speed training. I snuck in another 10K before I start (Chislehurst Chase on 17 Sept) and I intend to use Orpington parkrun as my benchmark at the end of each 4 weeks so the first one is 14 October. So far I have planned out a further 4 week 3 cycles but that finishes on the first week of the new year, so I might have to run one a week earlier with the aim of a SB!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Taken a few weeks off running races recently as had been overdoing it! Back on Sunday with the Arundel 10k, then Sunday 10th September the Littlehampton 10k.

Anyone done either of these before? I know Arundel is partly off road and also I imagine hilly! Looking forward to it.

I have also just signed up for the 2018 Edinburgh Marathon on Sunday 27th May. If I stay injury free and complete the other two I have booked then that will be marathon number 9. I am also looking at the Loch Ness marathon in September 2018 for number 10, that is apparently a tough course. You get bussed out from Inverness and run back!

I've done Arundel (twice and on 2 different courses) but not L'hampton. Arundel is indeed pretty hilly. If I recall correctly there's a long grind out to the turning point. It's an attractive and memorable course (you almost go inside the castle) but of the two 10ks I feel that you will run the L'hampton one rather quicker as I suspect it's flat as a pancake.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Well I have laid out a plan with a repeating 4 week cycle. It has ended up with a bit more distance in it than I intended, with the purpose of ensuring aerobic fitness balanced by strength and speed training. I snuck in another 10K before I start (Chislehurst Chase on 17 Sept) and I intend to use Orpington parkrun as my benchmark at the end of each 4 weeks so the first one is 14 October. So far I have planned out a further 4 week 3 cycles but that finishes on the first week of the new year, so I might have to run one a week earlier with the aim of a SB!

Sounds like an impressively structured approached. Hope it produces desired results. A season-ending SB is great to aim at - but just beware that underfoot conditions can be at their worst. (I speak as someone who did in his hamstring doing a Personal Worst in a mud-slog in Reigate PR over last Xmas.)

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs

Arundel is great fun. Done it a few times as it is my home town and I like the additional family support! Not decided about this year, would like to do it and it is in my plan, so who knows.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Sounds like an impressively structured approached. Hope it produces desired results. A season-ending SB is great to aim at - but just beware that underfoot conditions can be at their worst. (I speak as someone who did in his hamstring doing a Personal Worst in a mud-slog in Reigate PR over last Xmas.)
Orpington is usually OK as it runs around the top of a hill and the only bits that used to get messy (narrow paths between the fields) have been filled with aggregate.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
All being well, I'll be a parkrun tourist tomorrow morning. Worthing is the plan, it would be a new one for me but I wouldn't be looking for a particularly quick time. I've spent most of my week in the gym rather than on the road, I'm feeling the half from last weekend now!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
ps Did anyone see "the pacemakers" on BBC 2 last night? It was about "older" people running, it concentrated on people over 90 still doing the 100 meters. It was brilliant! Well worth catching on iplayer!

Yes just watched it this evening on iPlayer. Nice little documentary - some quite inspiring characters - loved the Peruvian sprinter with the pony tail and early stage dementia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Skipping Parkrun tomorrow as need to do my long run on Saturday this week- setting out early along the prom, up to ditchling beacon and blackcap. Got a lift back into town by which time a fry up will be in order!

Capricorn

Aug 14, 2010
Perth, Australia
Ran 18:03 at parkrun this morning. Not great for me considering my recent times. I think I might try and build some more directed speedwork into my running now to try and bring my 5k and 10k times down. I had a disappointing half marathon race a few weeks ago, so it's time to focus more on the shorter distances.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ran 18:03 at parkrun this morning. Not great for me considering my recent times. I think I might try and build some more directed speedwork into my running now to try and bring my 5k and 10k times down. I had a disappointing half marathon race a few weeks ago, so it's time to focus more on the shorter distances.

Not exactly a disaster, but it's funny the difference those 4 seconds would have made. 17:59 and 18:03 are completely different, psychologically.

I ran a 23:40ish, waiting for the official time to come through. I didn't wake up anywhere near making Worthing! I plodded along to Hove Park and started from the very back of the field. It was a progression run, 8:15 / 7:33 / 6:46. I'm happy with those splits considering the tough week I've put my legs through!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Week of ship's treadmill sessions for me.....might try a jog round the deck at some point, but think it'll be a bit like the A303 in the school holidays, with shuffling couples replacing the caravans. [emoji849]

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Nice 16.5 miles this morning- fabulous weather (is it really bank holiday weekend?), sea flat as a pancake and then glorious up on the Downs. Running back from Blackcap and the '13 the hard Wayers' came the other way. Good to see [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] looking strong.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Nice 16.5 miles this morning- fabulous weather (is it really bank holiday weekend?), sea flat as a pancake and then glorious up on the Downs. Running back from Blackcap and the '13 the hard Wayers' came the other way. Good to see [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] looking strong.

I was strong at that point but at halfway 6.9 miles it got very tough and felt very hot. Great race but hard to attack unless you've put in some hard hilly miles.

13.8 miles @ 8 minute miles and that's with a few uphill power walks so pleased with that and finished in sixth position I think.

Hamstrings are in complete disarray now!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I was strong at that point but at halfway 6.9 miles it got very tough and felt very hot. Great race but hard to attack unless you've put in some hard hilly miles.

13.8 miles @ 8 minute miles and that's with a few uphill power walks so pleased with that and finished in sixth position I think.

Hamstrings are in complete disarray now!

Well done - it was certainly getting pretty warm out there by 10am

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here