Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I thought I was doing OK until last week, Parkrun at the end of May I was down to 23.07, last week, lined up took three steps and had immediate warning signals in my left ankle, calf and glute, never had anything like it!. I dropped pace immediately and jogged round in 25.30. Not done anything this week and I'll try again tomorrow...

Nurse it carefully. Good luck tomorrow. Don't overdo it I'm sure [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] can go well under 23" on his road to recovery and leave us in the C team.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Right back from seeing Jesus and GREAT news. Achilles is not degenerating due to arthritis flare up (WHICH IS NOW 98% GONE) and my age, as Rheumatologist suggested.The hallucis longus muscle has been tight and cuts across the achilles when I walk or run. The muscle was sorted today and the scar tissue it caused on achilles tendon has undergone stage 1 (of 3 stages) of removal by the holy fingers. Next visit day after Weakest Link so have go ahead for that but will take a leg in the Wooden Spoon team. Can run carefully in between treatments. Feels good already. Will go to Worthing tomorrow but will run first 2 miles as warm up or even walk if any bruising from today.

Nearly back. Maybe the Phoenix at a canter..........

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Right back from seeing Jesus and GREAT news. Achilles is not degenerating due to arthritis flare up (WHICH IS NOW 98% GONE) and my age, as Rheumatologist suggested.The hallucis longus muscle has been tight and cuts across the achilles when I walk or run. The muscle was sorted today and the scar tissue it caused on achilles tendon has undergone stage 1 (of 3 stages) of removal by the holy fingers. Next visit day after Weakest Link so have go ahead for that but will take a leg in the Wooden Spoon team. Can run carefully in between treatments. Feels good already. Will go to Worthing tomorrow but will run first 2 miles as warm up or even walk if any bruising from today.

Great news!

Will see tomorrow where my speed is - back to Hove Park and not following a hard run the day before.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great news!

Will see tomorrow where my speed is - back to Hove Park and not following a hard run the day before.

I'm going for sub 22 if you are looking for near that? Not sure I'll make it – only done sub-22 once this year, hence wanting another crack at it tomorrow.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Six foot four and about 16 1/2 stone!

What's put me off in the past has been the fear of being stopped because there's a time cut off.

I'd easily be on 13-15 minute miles in such a race I expect. (Run comfortably at 10 minute miles on the road over 10-15 miles)

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

Ok, have a look at the Beachy Head results for example.......over 8 hours at the back end. You can even enter as a walker (not that you would need to at 13 min miles). Similarly, Sussex Trail Events have 6-6.30 cutoffs for their excellent local marathons, and don't strictly enforce them even then. You can walk a marathon in 6.30.

If you're unsure just check prior results......or ask on here. Someone is almost bound to have done the race you're interested in !

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Brilliant news mate, really pleased for you.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Good news!

A couple of things about the Worthing parkrun. The briefing is held about 100 metres or so from the start. The locals who've done it before and don't want to get caught up in the crowd (350-400?) tend to wait around at the start - which you will see west of the briefing. This winds-up the team that runs the show and I guess it's a bit anti-social. The main thing to remember is that the turn is not a half way; it's longer back than it is out and the finish is on the grass. It's a fast course so there's a good chance of a season's best - but not of course if you are crocked.
I'll be one of the naughty ones loitering at the start but will keep an eye out.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good news!

A couple of things about the Worthing parkrun. The briefing is held about 100 metres or so from the start. The locals who've done it before and don't want to get caught up in the crowd (350-400?) tend to wait around at the start - which you will see west of the briefing. This winds-up the team that runs the show and I guess it's a bit anti-social. The main thing to remember is that the turn is not a half way; it's longer back than it is out and the finish is on the grass. It's a fast course so there's a good chance of a season's best - but not of course if you are crocked.
I'll be one of the naughty ones loitering at the start but will keep an eye out.

Thanks. I might start of near you and fall back into the crowd. Will need a 15 minute warm up and that needs to be more than wandering around Waitrose buying wine. Not bothered with time and rather knackered after 3 hours sleep last night. Looking forward to seeing the Worthing Granny fanny.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Tough week for me this week, really feeling the pace at the moment! 6xmarina slope sprints yesterday between 41-46seconds per leg were tough but felt superb. Tomorrow is 2x10 minutes hard so I'm going to target running 3km per 10 minute hard run. I'm tempted to fit that into Hove Park parkrun and effectively run 6km by getting to the 3km marker and then walking across the grass back to the 2km point. Controversial, or acceptable in context?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Tough week for me this week, really feeling the pace at the moment! 6xmarina slope sprints yesterday between 41-46seconds per leg were tough but felt superb. Tomorrow is 2x10 minutes hard so I'm going to target running 3km per 10 minute hard run. I'm tempted to fit that into Hove Park parkrun and effectively run 6km by getting to the 3km marker and then walking across the grass back to the 2km point. Controversial, or acceptable in context?

That's equivalent to 16:40 for 5k ?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Personally, I wouldn't do it without checking with the race organiser. They have a lot of organising to do..and it is against the spirit. You could run the last 3k hard and then run 3k afterwards.
You've got to get out of bed in time , first, anyway.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Personally, I wouldn't do it without checking with the race organiser. They have a lot of organising to do..and it is against the spirit. You could run the last 3k hard and then run 3k afterwards.
You've got to get out of bed in time , first, anyway.

I'd agree with this.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Thanks. I might start of near you and fall back into the crowd. Will need a 15 minute warm up and that needs to be more than wandering around Waitrose buying wine. Not bothered with time and rather knackered after 3 hours sleep last night. Looking forward to seeing the Worthing Granny fanny.

Will be there in good time for a warmup unless, that is, I fall of my bike en route whilst pondering the prospect of the Worthing Granny fanny. You won't be disappointed, I can tell you that.
If you look out for me around 8.40 I'll be loitering on the prom by the rowing club which is just by a some big rocks and between the briefing point and the start and is where I park my bike.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Will be there in good time for a warmup unless, that is, I fall of my bike en route whilst pondering the prospect of the Worthing Granny fanny. You won't be disappointed, I can tell you that.
If you look out for me around 8.40 I'll be loitering on the prom by the rowing club which is just by a some big rocks and between the briefing point and the start and is where I park my bike.

Pleasant morning on Worthing seafront. Having missed Hailsham Waitrose last week was happy to get the free paper today and 25% of some good wines in the Worthing branch. Was worried with your warm up as I felt sore but it did the trick. Ran 2 miles off the pace and finished the last half mile under 7" mile pace. Achieved my best time for year for the 7th consecutive week(excluding Bevendean) but only 11 seconds up with a 23:15.
Preston Park for first time next week for sub 23.......

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
In the end I didn't have the pace - I got to just under 2.8kms in 10 mins, I was 7th at that stage having just been passed by two fellas. I was 5th at 1km in 3:24. 2.8km is by the miniature railway so I stopped there for the 3 mins and then the second 10 mins was really tough, I didn't find the right pace and did 2.4kms, nearly 2.5km but not quite, which put me between the finish line and the gold stone so I completed that final lap and then finished having done the additional distance as a warm down of sorts. Total time was about 27 minutes I think, not 100% sure until the results come through. I didn't get there early enough to speak to anyone about the intention but I effectively overran and covered more ground.

I reckon I could have gone anywhere between 18:20 and 19:00 if I'd carried on just with the parkrun itself. I think 18:30 is the target for next saturday's PB attempt and anything below it would be smashing.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Hastings for me. Ran the first mile in 6:28 and felt really good. Wasn't till the turn that I felt how strong the wind was. Into the wind added 30 seconds per mile. Still finished 21:03 which is my quickest since January.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I had a fairly sedate, for me, parkrun today as I was still feeling leggy after Yateley.

The fascinating thing for me was looking at the watch data afterwards, specifically from the heart rate monitor - I spent 50% of the time in zone 3, and then you can see on the graph the exact moment I decided to push for home as it suddenly jumps into zone 5!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Pleasant morning on Worthing seafront. Having missed Hailsham Waitrose last week was happy to get the free paper today and 25% of some good wines in the Worthing branch. Was worried with your warm up as I felt sore but it did the trick. Ran 2 miles off the pace and finished the last half mile under 7" mile pace. Achieved my best time for year for the 7th consecutive week(excluding Bevendean) but only 11 seconds up with a 23:15.
Preston Park for first time next week for sub 23.......

Good to have you there for Worthing Parkrun's 1st birthday. I guess all the prom courses were battered by the wind today; a good day to head in-land! 21.14 (tbc) for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here